Appearances by Baskerville the Hound

P

Philip Kippel

Does anyone out there have a complete listing of the "Muppet Show" episodes and other Muppet productions that Baskerville the Hound appeared in?

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Actually at the main site some of us are going to begin working on character profiles, including lists of appearances. When I come back later tonight I'll post a list of Baskerville's appearances.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Forgot all about it

#3 Joel Grey:
He's one of the musicians in Joel's first number, "Wilkommen"

Plays Dr. Watson to Rowlf's Sherlock Holmes and Gorgon Heap's Fielding the Butler in "Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Disappearing Clues"

#6 Jim Nabors:
UK Spot: "Dog Eat Dog"- sung by Baskerville accompanied by Rowlf

"Thank God I'm a Country Boy"- Jim's closing number, Baskerville appears as one of the chorus animals

#10 Harvey Korman:
Talk Spot- he helps the others put Harvey in a chicken suit

#16 Avery Schreiber:
UK Spot: "May You Always"- lead singer of this song, backed by Rowlf, Muppy and Catgut (why? why did they use Catgut? Why didn't they just use Rover Joe? He's from Muppet Musicians of Bremen too, and guess what? He's a dog! He's a dog so he might actually be singing a love serenade with reference to Lassie! Okay, rant over.)

#32 Steve Martin:
Baskerville's monologue- only time the character is named (he was named after the Sherlock Holmes story "Hound of the Baskervilles", which ties in to his first featured sketch on TMS, the Sherlock Holmes sketch)

#34 George Burns:
"It All Depends On You/You Made Me Love You"- one of the chorus singers

#38 Elton John:
Veterinarians' Hospital: he was the patient

#41 Julie Andrews:
"The Lonely Goatherd"- one of the 'men drinking beer with a foam afloat heard'

#45 Bob Hope:
UK Spot: Medley: "Long, Long Ago/Aura Lee/Believe Me If All These Endearing Young Charms/Jenna Lee/Long, Long Ago"- he's curled up on a pillow at J.P. Grosse's feet (just a note, this is the only sentimental thing J.P. Grosse ever did, at least as J.P. Grosse)

#56 Loretta Lynn:
Appears throughout the episode as a conductor

#73 John Denver:
"Grandma's Feather Bed"- John's closing number, Baskerville is one of the four hound dogs mentioned in the song; he's also in the goodnights

#76 Dyan Cannon:
"Hey Big Spender"- he's one of the dogs in the pet shop; can't remember if he's in the goodnights or not, I think he is

#86 Liza Minnelli:
UK Spot: "Pass That Peace Pipe"- he's one of the four dogs who sing this song, backed by the Electric Mayhem

#94 Andy Williams:
He appears with a few other dogs when Gonzo blows his trumpet at the end of the opening credits

#113 Hal Linden:
UK Spot: "Obladi Oblada"- he's one of the dogs dancing during this number

#119 Linda Ronstadt:
"The Cat Came Back"- this number is done mostly by dogs; Baskerville plays the human cannonball; he's also in the goodnights

#120 Roger Moore:
"Talk to the Animals"- he sings in the chorus in this number and also talks to Roger in the middle of this number, alerting him to the presence of the spies

I think that's all of his Muppet Show appearances. Of course, he appeared earlier than that (and in a more primitive form and voiced by Jim) in Purina Dog Chow commercials with Rowlf, but you may want to reference Danny Horn's site www.toughpigs.com for that info.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

P

Philip Kippel

I saw Baskerville in a couple of post-Muppet Show projects as well.

He requested to hear some Roy Clark in the Playhouse Video "Country Music with the Muppets".

I think I spotted him VERY briefly backstage early in the Michelle Pfieffer episode of "Muppets Tonight".

P

Philip Kippel

Gorgon Heap, there were some Baskerville appearances you forgot:

#14 Sandy Duncan:
"Try to Remember the Kind of September"--he's one of the background singers

#21 Twiggy:
"The King's Breakfast": He's one of the Muppets that crowds into the bedroom at the end of the skit

#40 Cleo Laine:
"The Limbo Contest"

UK Spot: "Mad Dogs and Englishmen"

#44 Petula Clark:
UK Spot: "Upidee"

P

Philip Kippel

Updated list of Baskerville's "Muppet Show" appearances:

#3 Joel Grey: he's one of the musicians in Joel's first number "Wilkommen" and he plays Watson in "Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Disappearing Clues"

#6 Jim Nabors: he sings with Rowlf in the UK Spot "Another Case of Dog Eat Dog" and he's one of the chorus animals in Jim's closing number "Thank God I'm a Country Boy"

#10 Harvey Korman: he helps the others put Harvey in a chicken suit in the Talk Spot

#14 Sandy Duncan: he's one of the background singers in Sandy's closing number "Try to Remember the Kind of September"

#16 Avery Schreiber: he's a principal singer in the UK Spot "May You Always"

#32 Steve Martin: he auditions as a comedian

#34 George Burns: he's one of the chorus singers in George's closing number "It All Depends On You"/"You Made Me Love You"

#38 Elton John: he's the patient in "Veterinarians' Hospital"

#40 Cleo Laine: he performs in the opening number "Everybody Limbo" and sings with Rowlf and a female dog in the UK Spot "Mad Dogs and Englishmen"

#41 Julie Andrews: he's one of the 'men drinking beer with a foam afloat heard' in Julie's opening number "The Lonely Goatherd"

#44 Petula Clark: he sings in the UK Spot "Upidee"

#45 Bob Hope: he sings while curled up on a pillow at J.P. Grosse's feet in the UK Spot "Long, Long Ago Medley"

#56 Loretta Lynn: he appears throughout the episode as a conductor

#73 John Denver: he's one of the '4 hound dogs' in John's closing number "Grandma's Feather Bed and he appears in the goodnights

#76 Dyan Cannon: he's one of the dogs in the pet shop in Dyan's closing number "Hey Big Spender" and he appears in the goodnights

#86 Liza Minnelli: he's one of the 4 dogs that sings in the UK Spot "Pass That Peace Pipe"

#94 Andy Williams: he appears with a few other dogs when Gonzo blows his trumpet at the end of the opening credits

#113 Hal Linden: he's one of the dancing dogs in the UK Spot "Obladi Oblada"

#119 Linda Ronstadt: he plays 'the human cannonball' in "The Cat Came Back", sings in the chorus in Linda's closing number "When I Grow Too Old to Dream" and appears in the goodnights

#120 Roger Moore: he sings in the chorus (and alerts Roger to the presence of the spies) in Roger's closing number "Talk to the Animals"

Other Henson productions that Baskerville appeared in:

The dog food commercials that he did with Rowlf in the 1960's
"The Muppet Movie"
"Playhouse Video: Country Music with the Muppets"
"The Muppets at Walt Disney World"
"Muppets Tonight w/Michelle Pfieffer" (quick backstage background cameo...maybe)
"Mopatop's Shop" (maybe)

P

Philip Kippel

Philip Kippel said:
Updated list of Baskerville's "Muppet Show" appearances:

#3 Joel Grey: he plays in the band in Joel's first number "Wilkommen" and he plays Watson in "Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Disappearing Clues"
#6 Jim Nabors: he sings "Another Case of Dog Eat Dog" in the UK Spot and he's one of the chorus animals in Jim's closing number "Thank God, I'm a Country Boy"
#10 Harvey Korman: he's one of the muppets that puts Harvey into the chicken suit in the Talk Spot
#14 Sandy Duncan: he's one of the background singers in Sandy's closing number "Try to Remember the Kind of September"
#16 Avery Schreiber: he sings with Rowlf, Muppy and Catgut UK Spot "May You Always"
#32 Steve Martin: he auditions as a comedian
#34 George Burns: he sings in the chorus in George's closing number "It All Depends On You"/"You Made Me Love You"
#38 Elton John: he's the patient in "Veterinarians' Hospital"
#40 Cleo Laine: he performs in the opening number "Everybody Limbo", is seen returning from the stage in the first backstage scene and sings with Rowlf and the Afghan Hound in the UK Spot "Mad Dogs and Englishmen"
#41 Julie Andrews: he's one of the men drinking beer with a foam afloat heard in Julie's opening number "The Lonely Goatherd"
#44 Petula Clark: he sings in the UK Spot "Upidee"
#45 Bob Hope: he sings while curled up on a pillow at J.P. Grosse's feet in the UK Spot "Long, Long Ago Medley"
#56 Loretta Lynn: he appears throughout the episode as a conductor
#73 John Denver: he's one of the 4 hound dogs in John's closing number "Grandma's Feather Bed; he also appears in the goodnights
#76 Dyan Cannon: he's one of the dogs in the pet shop in Dyan's closing number "Hey Big Spender"; he also appears in the goodnights
#86 Liza Minnelli: he's one of the 4 dogs that sings and gets killed in the UK Spot "Pass That Peace Pipe"
#94 Andy Williams: he appears with a few other dogs when Gonzo blows his trumpet at the end of the opening credits
#113 Hal Linden: he's one of the dancing dogs in the UK Spot "Obladi Oblada"
#119 Linda Ronstadt: he plays the human cannonball in "The Cat Came Back", sings in the chorus in the closing number "When I Grow Too Old to Dream" and appears in the goodnights
#120 Roger Moore: he appears in the final backstage scene and sings in the chorus (and alerts Roger to the presence of the spies) in Roger's closing number "Talk to the Animals"
Three additions:

#21 Twiggy: he appears in the bedroom after "The King's Breakfast" ends
#22 Ethel Merman: he appears in the audience during Fozzie's monologue
#35 Dom DeLuise: he appears in the audience throughout the show

G-MAN

Reaction score
Thank you Dave, I'm glad I'm not the only one that was confused of why Catgut was there in "May You Always", although considering she wanted to befriend the rats there's a slight possibility that she might have romantic feelings for dogs. :big_grin: