Save One Life to Live site

dwmckim

Reaction score
Okay, so anyone who knows me can probably guess what kind of day i've had and how it's been spent! My major "non-Henson" fandom, One Life to Live's cancellation (as well as All My Children's) was officially announced today. I've put together a Save OLTL site - which is mainly a way for people from different OLTL groups and forums to have access to the same essential information such as tips, contact info and sponsor listing. I'm hoping something better and more "expert" comes along, but until it does, my humble effort's at least up for people to access since timing is important.

I know the chances are slim, but i wanted to at least put the info out there for those who do want to fight or do something to have the best information as to what's most effective and i am at least encouraged knowing that before the official announcement, ABC employees have mentioned soap fans have been flooding the network with letters/calls on a level they haven't seen before so if the fan community is mobilized with good tools, maybe something can actually become of this!

If you are either a fan or know someone who is, please alert them of:

http://community.webtv.net/dw_m/saveoltl

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Okay, so anyone who knows me can probably guess what kind of day i've had and how it's been spent! My major "non-Henson" fandom, One Life to Live's cancellation (as well as All My Children's) was officially announced today. I've put together a Save OLTL site - which is mainly a way for people from different OLTL groups and forums to have access to the same essential information such as tips, contact info and sponsor listing. I'm hoping something better and more "expert" comes along, but until it does, my humble effort's at least up for people to access since timing is important.

I know the chances are slim, but i wanted to at least put the info out there for those who do want to fight or do something to have the best information as to what's most effective and i am at least encouraged knowing that before the official announcement, ABC employees have mentioned soap fans have been flooding the network with letters/calls on a level they haven't seen before so if the fan community is mobilized with good tools, maybe something can actually become of this!

If you are either a fan or know someone who is, please alert them of:

http://community.webtv.net/dw_m/saveoltl

I'm shocked that "All My Children" was canceled too. I don't watch any soaps, but that one seems to be a big name. I understand your frustration. The fact is that he greatest demographic for daytime television is women and market researchers have discovered that they can't get enough of reality programming.

I despise reality shows and what they've done to our culture. They're popular, cheap to produce and pander to the lowest part of human nature - the schadenfreude of making fun of others. People are turning off their televisions in droves and turning to short, prepackaged entertainment on various portable devices of their choosing. The programs that don't fit that format get the shaft. There will soon be a decline in all quality entertainment. Many popular shows are canceled for not being as successful as some bug-eating contest could be in the same time slot. Cartoon lovers have been suffering these inane cancellations for years. There's not much of it on regular TV like the old days.

The only things sure to survive are sports, news, game shows and reality television. It's the new world order. Don't think for a minute that Oprah's leaving syndicated daytime television due to some other venture. That venture was created because she's savvy enough to jump ship before it sinks and do it on top!

Basically, what happened to music and video stores is now happening to the world of television. The system of programming is completely changing. This is just the beginning. I hope your program can be saved. Maybe entertainment will have to decline before it gets better. Let's hope not. Let's hope this is all wrong logic and it will be remedied sooner.

Until then, I think the best bet for canceled programs is to partner with some sort of portable media device service for financing in return to exclusive broadcasting rights. That's the way it's going.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I despise reality shows and what they've done to our culture. They're popular, cheap to produce and pander to the lowest part of human nature - the schadenfreude of making fun of others. People are turning off their televisions in droves and turning to short, prepackaged entertainment on various portable devices of their choosing. The programs that don't fit that format get the shaft. There will soon be a decline in all quality entertainment. Many popular shows are canceled for not being as successful as some bug-eating contest could be in the same time slot. Cartoon lovers have been suffering these inane cancellations for years. There's not much of it on regular TV like the old days.

The only things sure to survive are sports, news, game shows and reality television. It's the new world order. Don't think for a minute that Oprah's leaving syndicated daytime television due to some other venture. That venture was created because she's savvy enough to jump ship before it sinks and do it on top!

Basically, what happened to music and video stores is now happening to the world of television. The system of programming is completely changing. This is just the beginning. I hope your program can be saved. Maybe entertainment will have to decline before it gets better. Let's hope not. Let's hope this is all wrong logic and it will be remedied sooner.
The "New World Order" sucks. Let's just say that. Instant gratification is the worst thing to happen to happen to the media since... well, EVER, actually. Sure nothing's profitable anymore, but that's because everyone's a spoiled by expensive technology they could only afford by maxxing out their credit cards. We have the willful extermination of television genres and for WHAT? OOH! We can watch Michael Bay's terrible Transformer movies on a phone in line to buy tickets to see another one of his terrible Transformers movies. The internet doesn't offer anything all that exciting to me yet... everything good is illegal (MP3 downloads, Youtube clips, video game emulations)... if you don't have an iPhone and or an X-Box, you miss OUT on all the stuff our shows are cheaply getting canceled for.

I don't want cartoons to exist only as crappy pop culture reference laden, gamer friendly 1980's cartoon joke shorts. I'm sick of them (Family Guy did all of them anyway back in 1999). I want NEW series to be produced with GOOD animation that doesn't look like an internet cartoon from 1995. DW wants these classic shows to not die because it's slightly cheaper for non-union crap fare and The View knockoffs that no body watches anyway.

You know why no one watches TV anymore? There's no reason to. The best stuff gets canned because there's too much money going out, rather than no money going out at all... WE'RE the reason our shows get canceled and we're the ones that whine about it. We're too busy playing angry birds and poking ourselves on facebook.

dwmckim

Reaction score
This is really exploding. Much bigger than Save Farscape ever was. One of the best articles i've seen so far has been this one from CNN:

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-594341

I'm working on an article most likely for Muppet Mindset this weekend about ways this could actually affect the Muppets and why Muppet fans should be concerned.