Sing yourself sillier at the movies

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay... you may be questioning the sanity of someone who's like 20 years old buying a Sesame Street video for his own enjoyment...but...

Sing Yourself Sillier at the Movies (Possibly a sequal to Sing Yourself silly, which I have never seen) is a pretty good tape to watch or rent.. or maybe buy. It features a lot of 1990's skits that were shown once or twice, then completely forgotten, as well as the Obscure MONTY PYTHON, who appeared during that period. But it brought back fond memories of old School 80's sesame. The whole video centers around the Oscar and Telly movie review skit, Sneak Peak Preiviews.

Telly rates the movies on not how good they are, but rather how silly they are (then I guess Kangaroo Jack is his favorite film... ick..) and Oscar (like most critics) is bitter, and dismisses it as "Phooey."

The play between Telly and Oscar through the show is great, and I Remember the days when they were a comedy team on the show.

Anyway, they introduce the whole thing by saying that if a movie is good it gets "Wows" and if it's bad it gets "Phooeys"

Of course, by "Movies" they mean short, 2-3 minute songs (which have more plot than most movies now a days.. and they make more sense!)

The first film is a Little Chrissy song. 8 Balls of fur. Now, I swear Christopher Cerf is one of the most underrated Sesame Song writers. I think he deserves to be among the greats such as Jeff Moss and Joe Raposo. And he actually voiced (but not Puppeted) his own recurring character. Anyway, the whole thing is a parody of Great Balls of fire. Not just as a song, but it also satirizes the eccentric piano playing of Jerry Lee Lewis. Infact, through the whole skit, the piano keys break off, and eventually the piano snaps in half, and shatters, recieving a "hey Mac, send in the next piano.

Telly Laughs and gives it a WOW, while Oscar gives it a whole 5 Phooeys because he didn't like the "Cute little hairballs" Little faceless balls of fur with long "Olive Oyl" type legs do not strike me as cute, just creepy. Like Walking Tribbles...igh... Telly announces the next "film," Hey diddle Diddle.. a cartoon featuring a cartoon turtle singing the nursary Rhyme. Now this was a candidate for the fast forward button. I mean, firstly, I saw this skit so many times anyway, and I don't particularly like the singing turtle series of cartoons. Basicvally they sing the song twice. Telly loves it, Oscar says it's terrible "and the worst part was they sang it twice!" (no argument there!) 5 Phooeys! Telly questions Oscar's reasoning here, and Oscar says, "The way I've seen it, I've seen the 2 worst movies I'll ever see in my movie going career! This day can't get any worse!!"

And with expert timing, up pops Monty, who gives a cheery "Cheerio!!!" He then plugs his new Movie Watermelons and Cheese. To Oscar's dismay, "They let this guy make a movie?!?!?" (heck, if they can make 102 dalmations, Kangaroo Jack and Gone in 60 seconds, they'll let just about anybody make a movie!) He gives Telly a prewritten review to read, telling everyone to go see it. Of course, he does this as a favor. In reality, he'd have to pay someone to fake a good review...(cough..entertainmentweekly).

So, the next short is a rare song with a rare character, a loving parody of Monty Python, who sort of resembles John Cleese in the Ministery of Funny walks Sketch singing about Phone etiquette. When you answer the phone, just don't say "Watermelons and Cheese!" (off the record.. remember this is Sing yourself sillier at the movies, no Sesame Streets thought provoking songs of Geopolitical interrest here!) Telly once again loves it, and gives it 3 Wows, Oscar gives it.. let's guess 5!
Telly: Just think.. answering the phone with "Watermelons and Cheese!"
Monty: Ha ha ha.. I know.. everyone knows the correct way to answer the phone... Elbow macaroni?
In blackout fashion, it cuts to another song, rather than introducing it. Mr. Between. When I read the track listing of the video, I though it was the one with a guy stuck unhappily between 2 monsters. It's not. It's one I have never seen before. A weird guy named Mr. Beetween who likes to be in between things. Of course, this is another sesame Refference to Vaudeville. Like any kid even knows what Vaudeville is. No wonder why I enjoy Sesame more as an adult!
But of note, this seems to be a rare appearance of David Golez (I am not sure, It sounds like him) on Sesame. He appeared as a puppeteer intewrmittenly during the 93 season. Anyway, at the end, Mr. B is confronted wioth one of his fans, complementing on his song. He's an elephant in a bowler hat and his name is... get this.. Mr. On top of... I like to stand on TOP of things.....(the joke is self explanitory... crunch..)

Oscar; These movies are getting worse! 5 Phooeys.

Telly protests and tries to give him his opinion, but to no avail. Oscar would rather get the video over with.

Next up.. this Room is full of chickens... I know it's a stupid sketch but... I like it. I love chicken jokes. They are forever cursed to be a funny animal! Once the film is over, Chickens fill the room (okay.. 5 of them) and are in the theater. Telly gives it 4 Wows, Oscar... 5 Phooeys. The Chickens cry, and they want to leave. Oscar leaves for a Sardine Soda, and Telly Coaxes the Chickens to stay for the next film that has a chicken in it.

Misnomber 2... I thought Il Alphabetto was the one with Mostly Monster concert conducted by Herry. Instead, it's Chickens in Period costumes (17th century to be exact) singing the alphabet like opera. The song itself is not funny, but it has that wonderful Sesame Slap stick! Everytime the head singer hits a florishing note, she wacks the two closest back up singers with her wings. At one point the two duck and cluck a "Nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh." I don't know what's with this sketch, but I actually laguhed! I mean, Penguins, rats, and Chickens have always been the funniest of all Muppet back ground animals... I don't know why...

Telly and the chickens give it four wows. Oscar returns, the Chickens snub him, and leave. Oscar (nopt having seen the film) gives it 5 Phooeys, stating that if Telly liked it, there's no need explain.

Telly: The next film is really funny! I'm in it!
Oscar: Now that IS funny!

Now this is the clunker of the whole video. It features 3 actual Muppets (Rosita, Telly, and Alice) and a bunch of kids tlking about how many funny words there are. An older boy (preteen, I guess) says, "You know what word I always liked? Snorkle." That's it! Fast forward.. where's my ^&*(% remote? I do not.. do not want to hear them sing Snorkle and rutabegga over and over. I mean, if it was ALL muppet, sure. But there are things that Muppets do funny that if a human does it it's annoying! They had so many songs to choose from, they picked THIS?!?!?!?

Telly gives it 5 Wows! WHAT?!?!? It ranks higher than watermelons and Cheese, the funniest bit of the video? Even Oscar gives it a better review! "Okay, Telly! If it means that much to you, i'll only give it 4 and a half Phooeys. Phooey phooey phooey phooey phoo.." et tu Oscar? Telly, crestfallen doesn't like how Oscars giving everything a bad review. Oscar reiterates he's a grouch! Grouches hate everything! Telly rolls the next fil;m, reluctantly.

We now see Ingrid, Humphry, Natasha, and Bob. THe proud parents sing how great their baby is, because she can blow raspberries, makew a weird Blllllb sound and hiccup! Bob gives the camera a "can you believe this?" look while the two parents keep admiring how "talented" she is. Now, Am I the only one who thinmks this is funny? I mean, really. I know these people! I know people who are overly protective, and overly proud of their little runts, so it just cracks me up!

Telly (still depressed) tells Oscar he liked the film. Oscar reviels that.. HE LIKED IT TOO! (it would have to be the last one, wouldn't it?)

Oscar: This is a film that's truely OSCAR worthy!
Telly: You.. you mean it could win an award?
Oscar: No! It's worthy of Me! Oscar!

Oscar explains that he loved the gross sounds coming out of a cute babies mouth AND AGREES with Telly that it's worth 5 Wows.

Now come the credits.. the best play between Oscar and Telly in the whole film. Oscar feels his Grouchhood is threatened because he agreed with Telly and tells him to disagree with him. Telly Agrees.

Oscar: You can't agree with me!

Telly: Sure! Let's agree to Disagree!

All and all, it was pretty good, with the exception of those two songs (Hey Diddle Diddle, Silly Sounding words song)

The tape is worth it for just Telly and Oscar alone, but Watermelons and CHeese, 8 Balls of Fur, and Mr. Between were quite funny, and I liked them.

I give it 3 and a half (out of five) Wows!

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I thought it was awesome too!

Oscar and Telly do make a great team!:big_grin:

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth

In blackout fashion, it cuts to another song, rather than introducing it. Mr. Between. When I read the track listing of the video, I though it was the one with a guy stuck unhappily between 2 monsters. It's not. It's one I have never seen before. A weird guy named Mr. Beetween who likes to be in between things. Of course, this is another sesame Refference to Vaudeville. Like any kid even knows what Vaudeville is. No wonder why I enjoy Sesame more as an adult!
what's a Vaudeville?

Now this is the clunker of the whole video. It features 3 actual Muppets (Rosita, Telly, and Alice) and a bunch of kids tlking about how many funny words there are. An older boy (preteen, I guess) says, "You know what word I always liked? Snorkle." That's it! Fast forward.. where's my ^&*(% remote? I do not.. do not want to hear them sing Snorkle and rutabegga over and over. I mean, if it was ALL muppet, sure. But there are things that Muppets do funny that if a human does it it's annoying! They had so many songs to choose from, they picked THIS?!?!?!?
amen!
that kid wuz named Carlos. he's a dork..or should i say DORKle!!! hahaha what an idiot

anywayz, i dont think teens should be allowed on kids shows cuz they make fools out of themselves. not even sesame street (well, unless that teen's me)

Drtooth

Reaction score
well, Pnuknpuppets, Vaudeville was a loooooong time ago... even before movies (or at least movies with sound in them), and they'd have comedy rutines with guys with straw hats and canes. They'd tell awful jokes and such.

Besides soft shoe dancing (sort of like tap dancing) and bad comedy routines, crazy people even did stunts.

So, I guess you could say that Vaudeville is... THE MUPPET SHOW's inspiration!

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
actually i have heard of this store in New York called Trash & Vaudeville that's like a Hot Topic for heavy metal headbangers...but i know thats not what your talking bout

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
and btw, doc, u should check out "Sing Yourself Silly" it's got a vintage don music clip (mary had a bicycle) and its the video that i got my signature from (NOW THAT WAS MILLY!) and i'm sure u guys can guess who said it

wockawocka

Reaction score
I love Oscar! I was glad to see him more in that movie, and Natasha is sooo cute and funny!

dcfboss

Reaction score
Okay... you may be questioning the sanity of someone who's like 20 years old buying a Sesame Street video for his own enjoyment
I wouldn't question sanity at all...I'm 19 and I just bought the old Cookie Monster "Cookie's Best Bites" Video. I'm not really obsessed or anything, but I think he's funny and it's good entertainment. I also purchased the old Cookie Monster pull toy from 20 years ago and a mini Gorham Cookie Monster statue from the 70's. My girlfriend made fun of me at first for watching sesame street, but now even she's into it, lol.