Nigel the Conductor appearances on "The Muppet Show"

P

Philip Kippel

Which specific episodes of "The Muppet Show" did Nigel the Conductor appear in? Which numbers/sketches/scenes was he in and what did he do?

The Nigel "Muppet Show" appearances that I DO know of are as follows:

#2 Connie Stevens: talks to Zoot before playing "Sax and Violence"
#14 Sandy Duncan: one of the background singers in Sandy's closing number "Try to Remember the Kind of September"
#18 Phyllis Diller: conducts the band in Phyllis's closing number "The Entertainer"
#21 Twiggy: one of the reporters/journalists in Twiggy's first number "In My Life"
#23 Kaye Ballard: appears in the second backstage scene; conducts the band in Kaye's closing number "Single Note Samba"; conducts Rowlf during the special closing credits
#24 Mummenschanz: appears in the library sketch
#32 Steve Martin: appears throughout, sitting in the audience among his fellow cast members
#34 George Burns: one of the singers in George's closing number "It All Depends On You"/"You Made Me Love You"
#42 Jaye P. Morgan: performs "Big Noise from Winnetka" (the whistling and bass song) with Floyd
#44 Petula Clark: one of the singers in Petula's closing number "Tomorrow"
#53 Pearl Bailey: one of the singers in Pearl's opening number "My Life is a Testimony"
#64 Danny Kaye: appears backstage while Danny and the other Muppets are frantically getting ready for "Cheek to Cheek" and he's one of the singers in Danny's closing number "Inchworm"
#83 Lola Falana: one of the singers in Lola's closing number "United We Stand"
#89 Star Wars: plays a clarinet(?) in "Six-String Orchestra"
#100 Shirley Bassey: conducts the band in the UK Spot "After You've Gone"
#110 Mac Davis: conducts the band in Mac's closing number "I Believe in Music"...before the Beaker clones take over the orchestra pit
#120 Roger Moore: conducts the band in the UK Spot "How High the Moon"

Any others?

Did he ever appear in the goodnights (even though I highly doubt that he did)?

Thanks again. Bye for now.

P

Philip Kippel

Updated list:

#2 Connie Stevens: he talks to Zoot before playing "Sax and Violence"
#14 Sandy Duncan: he's one of the background singers in Sandy's closing number "Try to Remember the Kind of September"
#18 Phyllis Diller: he conducts the band in Phyllis's closing number "The Entertainer"
#21 Twiggy: he's one of the reporters/journalists in Twiggy's first number "In My Life"
#23 Kaye Ballard: he appears in the second backstage scene, conducts the band in Kaye's closing number "Single Note Samba" and conducts Rowlf during the special closing credits
#24 Mummenschanz: he appears in the library sketch
#32 Steve Martin: he appears throughout the episode, sitting in the audience among his fellow cast members
#34 George Burns: he's one of the singers in George's closing number "It All Depends On You"/"You Made Me Love You"
#42 Jaye P. Morgan: he performs "Big Noise from Winnetka" (the whistling and bass song) with Floyd
#44 Petula Clark: he's one of the singers in Petula's closing number "Tomorrow"
#53 Pearl Bailey: he's one of the singers in Pearl's opening number "My Life is a Testimony"
#64 Danny Kaye: he appears backstage while Danny and the other Muppets are frantically getting ready for "Cheek to Cheek" and he's one of the singers in Danny's closing number "Inchworm"
#65 Spike Milligan: he makes a cameo appearance in the UK Spot "Dog Walk"
#83 Lola Falana: he's one of the singers in Lola's closing number "United We Stand"
#89 Star Wars: he plays a clarinet(?) in "Six-String Orchestra"
#100 Shirley Bassey: he conducts the band in the UK Spot "After You've Gone"
#110 Mac Davis: he conducts the band in Mac's closing number "I Believe in Music"...before the Beaker clones take over the orchestra pit
#120 Roger Moore: he conducts the band in the UK Spot "How High the Moon"

Any others?

P

Philip Kippel

Re-Updated list:

#2 Connie Stevens: he talks to Zoot before playing "Sax and Violence"

#14 Sandy Duncan: he's one of the background singers in Sandy's closing number "Try to Remember the Kind of September"

#18 Phyllis Diller: he conducts the band in Phyllis's closing number "The Entertainer"

#21 Twiggy: he's one of the reporters/journalists in Twiggy's first number "In My Life"

#23 Kaye Ballard: he appears in the second backstage scene, conducts the band in Kaye's closing number "Single Note Samba" and conducts Rowlf during the special closing credits

#24 Mummenschanz: he appears in the library sketch

#32 Steve Martin: he appears throughout the episode, sitting in the audience among his fellow cast members

#34 George Burns: he's one of the singers in George's closing number "It All Depends On You"/"You Made Me Love You"

#37 Rudolf Nureyev: he sings in Rudolf's closing number "Top Hat"

#42 Jaye P. Morgan: he performs "Big Noise from Winnetka" (the whistling and bass song) with Floyd

#44 Petula Clark: he's one of the singers in Petula's closing number "Tomorrow"

#52 Gilda Radner: he conducts the band in Gilda's closing number "Tap Your Troubles Away"

#53 Pearl Bailey: he's one of the singers in Pearl's opening number "My Life is a Testimony"

#64 Danny Kaye: he appears backstage while Danny and the other Muppets are frantically getting ready for "Cheek to Cheek" and he's one of the singers in Danny's closing number "Inchworm"

#65 Spike Milligan: he makes a cameo appearance in the UK Spot "Dog Walk"

#83 Lola Falana: he's one of the singers in Lola's closing number "United We Stand"

#89 Star Wars: he plays a clarinet(?) in "Six-String Orchestra"

#100 Shirley Bassey: he conducts the band in the UK Spot "After You've Gone"

#110 Mac Davis: he conducts the band in Mac's closing number "I Believe in Music"...before the Beaker clones take over the orchestra pit

#120 Roger Moore: he conducts the band in the UK Spot "How High the Moon"

Did Nigel make more "Muppet Show" appearances than these?

P

Philip Kippel

I need to know which other "Muppet Show" episodes Nigel the Conductor appeared in, since I recently agreed to help Phillip Chapman with the upcoming character guide pages.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I want to say he's in the chorus of Joel's closing number, "Razzle Dazzle", but I'm not certain. Anyone else know?

#8 Paul Williams: he dances with Zelda Rose in 'At the Dance'

#18 Phyllis Diller: to add to yours, he is in Phyllis's first number, where she and Rowlf joke back and forth; a crowd of customers gathers around and he's one of them

#20 Valerie Harper: I'm 99% sure he's one of the Muppets applauding Valerie after her opening # backstage

#51 Roy Clark: he conducts the orchestra in Roy's song, "Yesterday When I Was Young" (one of my favorite numbers in the entire series)

#54 Jean Stapleton: conducts Jean's first number, "Won't You Play a Simple Melody/I Wanna Listen to Rag"

I'm pretty sure he's in Shields & Yarnell's closing number, "Make 'em Laugh"; have to double-check. He might be in Linda Lavin's closing number, "Beyond the Blue Horizon", but I'm not positive. If I had to guess just from memory I'd say he isn't, but I'll let you know next time I watch it.

#87 Anne Murray: he conducts the closing #, "Everything Old is New Again"

#90 Christopher Reeve: he joins in whistling in the backstage UK Spot, "Sam's Song"

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Mad Monty fan

Reaction score
What exactly is he supposed to be? He looks like a fish to me.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
What exactly is he supposed to be? He looks like a fish to me.
I always thought Nigel had the same body type as a Fraggle, though we don't know if he has a furry chest or tail. So maybe he's some distant relative of the Fraggle.