Sid the Science Kid Vaccination Special

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a reminder, the Sid the Science Kid Vaccination Special airs this Monday on PBS stations nationwide.

Here's more information on the special episode...
http://muppetcentral.com/news/2009/100909.shtml

After you watch the show post here and share your thoughts.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought it was a good episode. It deviated just a little from the regular show format. My five year old pointed out that there was no Sid invention (or Super Duper Uper Big Idea rather).

I think it did a really good job presenting honest and age appropriate information regarding vaccinations. There were times I thought it was just a little too preachy. For instance saying that by getting a vaccination is basically doing your civic duty - that was a little much for me.

In my mommy circles the reviews are mixed. I know quite a few moms who were a little upset about the message since they personally have chosen not to vaccinate. Other moms were thrilled to have someone encourage their children to actually get a shot. I won't get into the debate of vaccinations for me personally, but I can see both sides. As with any children's show, if there's something addressed that goes against what you believe or do in your own home, use that as a platform to discuss your beliefs with your child. That's not a bad thing.

HootsytheOwl

Reaction score
Sid Special

Hello everybodeeee!:super:

I thought the special was very well done. It showed kids talking to people that love them when they are afraid about something, or have important questions. That's one of the best ways to understand about going to the doctor or hospital, or even in this case getting a shot. The funniest thing in this episode ( I thought) was when the kids were playing " antibody vs. virus". I love all the silly noises Gerard makes when he's "making the body sick".:smile: The karate antibodies were pretty cute too :wink:.

Your dear friend,

Kitt