Emergency of Doozer Dome (a play)

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Ok, so this might not be perfect script format. However, I want this to be theoretically playable by anyone.

Setting: A dark rocky tunnel, with lighting hidden behind different crags in the rock. The lights are blue and green. Large ferns grow out of a couple of places in the rock walls. Thin white PVC pipes are placed in orderly heaps on both sides of the stage. A plastic cart is on stage right. Two Doozers can be seen, eating "food pellets" (dyed shortcakes). Doozers are portrayed with humans in green work jumpsuits with yellow boots, a yellow toolbelt, and hard hats (for those who wear them) with two antennae sticking out from them. Stage-left Doozer is a brown-haired male wearing a purple hard hat. Stage-right Doozer is a red-haired female with a beige visor, with two antennae draping over the sides of the visor.

Male Doozer (munching on food pellets, surveying the area): This will be a really neat spot to put up that conveyer belt, Cotterpin.

Cotterpin (nods): Yeah, I thought so too. Hey, Wrench, how long do you think it'll be before we can open up the new Doozer construction site?

Wrench (shrugs): It depends on the availability of the Doozer Drill Crew, Cotterpin.

Cotterpin (looks dreamily toward stage right): I'm willing to bet there are HUGE opportunities ... if we can just get through that tunnel wall. (she reaches behind her and drags out large sheets of paper) It's all planned out: we'll build the first ever Doozer Amusement Park. (growing more excited) It'll have these paths that go up and down and swerve around sharp corners and I think I can even get a loop to work, and --.

Wrench (shakes head): Cotterpin! The architect wanted you to design a supply warehouse!

Cotterpin (pauses, staring at Wrench in confusion): I'm designing one .... After all ... (smiles) ... it'll be convenient to have a supply warehouse near the amusement park site!

Wrench (sighs, stands, shakes head): Cotterpin ... you're not going to stay Architect's Apprentice if you keep doing stuff like this. (sigh) He'll make you put on the helmet. You'll be demoted.

Cotterpin (offended): He wouldn't dare! I'm designing an engineering masterpiece! My name'll go down in Doozer history!

Wrench (smirks): Doozers don't take credit, Cotterpin. (walks to stage right to exit) Doozers don't seek to make a name for themselves.

Cotterpin (sulking): Then why do we have names at all? Why don't we just go by numbers or something?

Wrench (chuckles): Cotterpin ... do you know the Architect's real name?

Cotterpin (timidly): No.

Wrench: That's because Doozers don't seek to make a name for themselves.

Cotterpin (stands, arms crossed): Well -- what about Pipewrench? Or any of the other architects of Doozerdom, huh? Why do we remember their names if they were never gonna get famous?

Wrench (starts to answer, then pauses, clearly out-thought, but soon finds inspiration): Okay ... how many of those architects are still alive?

Cotterpin (confused): None of them.

Wrench (nods): Well, maybe they all just went by the name "Architect" when they were alive.

Cotterpin (frowns): So, we can't get credit while we're alive ... but if we get squashed by a boulder or something ... our names will live on indefinitely?

Wrench (shakes head): Cotterpin ... get back to work. *leaves*

Cotterpin (sings The Way I've Got to Go)

[fade-out]

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Hmmm, intriguing. And you're right, I don't believe there are any doozer-centric stories/works here, so I can't wait to see what this one turns into! The doozers really do have intriquet lives, if you think about it...

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Thanks! I also like the challenge of writing scripts.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
[fade-in as cheerful pipe organ music plays]

Setting: Doozer Dome, which consists of a plastic automaton-pumping water fountain in the middle of the small courtyard, left and right rectangular wings of the building complex with a ramp going to each front door, and a larger trapezoidal main building in the center. Each building has trapezoidal windows. An image of the sparkling interior of a geode is projected on the back wall. Five elderly Doozers can be seen sitting on small benches near the water fountain. The central male elderly Doozer is wearing a visor like Cotterpin's. A male and female Doozer, each wearing no helmets but long beaded necklaces are on stage left of the central Doozer. Another male and female Doozer couple sit on stage right of the central male Doozer. The female on the right has a large hat with flowers decorating it near her legs.

Central male Doozer (brings out some playing cards): Alright, whose turn is it to cut the deck? (glances at male Doozer with necklace) Crusty?

Crusty (shakes head): I thought it was Crosscut's turn.

Stage-right male Doozer (pats female w/hat beside him on shoulder): I beg to differ. It's the lovely Cantilever's turn today.

Cantilever: Is it really? I must have forgotten....

Stage-left female Doozer (nods sympathetically): Happens to the best of us, Cantilever.

Cantilever (slightly flustered): I used to be so good with remembering things, Yeaster, dear. I almost didn't have to measure Doozer sticks before installing them. (turns to central male Doozer) Do YOU get that way sometimes, Architect?

Architect (shuffles cards with head low, finally nodding): Yes. What with Cotterpin taking over some of my duties ... I find my free time freeing up my memory, as well. It's rather frustrating.

(The others nod and agree.)

Crosscut: Well, you know what they say: "To stop the Doozer body is to stop the Doozer mind."

(The others nod and agree. The Architect hands the cards to Cantilever, who shuffles and cuts the deck and passes them to each player.)

[fade-out]

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Semi-retired Doozers play cards. :smile:

I haven't come up with the whole plot yet. This scene is to leave me some options.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
[fade-in]

Setting: The tunnel featured in the first scene. Several Doozers are working on the tunnel (digging for samples, surveying, using what looks like sonar, etc). Cotterpin is sitting on a small stool in front of an easel with blueprints on it at far stage left. A male Doozer with black hair and different-colored highlights walks up to her.

Male Doozer (taking off helmet): Ms. Cotterpin, ma'am?

Cotterpin (not looking up): How is that new sonar machine holding up, Turbo?

Turbo (shrugs): Oh, it works just great, Ms. Cotterpin. I just ... uh ....

Cotterpin (stops and looks up at him): What? Spit it out, Turbo. We've got a lot of work to do.

Turbo (sheepish): I just, uh, wanted ta tell ya dat I can't t'ank you enough for puttin' me on dis surveyin' team.

Cotterpin (smiles, chuckles): Turbo -- you're rehabilitated now. You have no excuse for not getting on a work crew again. (shrugs) Everybody makes mistakes now and then.

Turbo (concerned): The Architect didn't seem too pleased none wit' de idea.

Cotterpin (shakes head): I am NOT the Architect. Building is in a Doozer's blood! [sings Doozer March Song, with the other Doozers singing backup, as she takes Turbo around the worksite, encouraging him]

Turbo: T'anks, Ms. Cotterpin, ma'am. Uh, you don't t'ink dose "rides" will make Doozers get da hiccups, do ya? (pauses, ashamed) I don't wanna evah get dose again.

Cotterpin (tenderly patting him on the shoulder): Oh, I got it all figured out, Turbo. Doozers only get the hiccups when they bounce up and down. As long as my rides avoid THAT, no one will get the hiccups and we won't have whole crews needing medics!

Turbo: So, what does da Architect say 'bout it?

Cotterpin: Uh, well, ya see, um ... here's the thing, Turbo: I have the authority to make things now. I don't always NEED his approval.

Turbo: So, uh, what you're sayin' is ... we're all gonna be dust sweepahs when all dis is t'rough, aren't we?

Cotterpin: Not exactly -- he said he needed a supply warehouse built. I'm going to design one -- inside my new amusement park.

Female Doozer (approaches Cotterpin and salutes): Ms. Cotterpin, ma'am? We have determined the best drill site.

Cotterpin: Great! I want support teams at the ready as soon as possible. As soon as we have enough support beams ... we can bring the Drill Crew in here!

Doozers: Yay!

[Wrench runs in from stage left, panting.]

Wrench: Cotterpin! Cotterpin!

Cotterpin: Oh, hey, Wrench! I didn't see you at the briefing earlier.

Wrench (shakes his head, still catching his breath): Sorry, Cotterpin. I got pulled to a different crew at the last minute. I need to talk to you.

Cotterpin (comes in close, whispers): What is it?

Wrench (uneasily looks around, then whispers): It's your grandmother.

Cotterpin (alarmed): Is there something wrong?

Wrench (nodding): Yeah ... it's absolutely AWFUL!

Cotterpin (aghast): No! I'll be RIGHT THERE! (leaves stage left)

Turbo (approaching the stunned Wrench): 'Ey, Wrench ... what's da deal wit' her?

Wrench (pauses, then sighs): It's her Granny Cantilever's birthday today. Cotterpin musta forgotten....

[fade-out]

RedPiggy

Reaction score
[fade-in]

Setting: Interior room of Doozer Dome, belonging to Cotterpin and her family. Two sliding doors are on the back wall and one is off to stage right side. Stage left side has a larger sliding door that is the front door. The room is a family room. Near the front door is a rack for hanging helmets and toolbelts. There are several small sculptures and engravings on shelves on the walls. A small bookshelf is beside the right back door with several books about architecture, topped with a small lamp. A brown-haired male Doozer with a large mustache is sitting on the floor with a blue-haired female Doozer. They are working on various crafts. Cotterpin enters through the front door (on stage left).

Cotterpin (exhausted): I'm not LATE, am I? Where's Grandma?

Male Doozer (bitterly): Wingnut, explain to our daughter the importance of punctuality.

Wingnut (rolls eyes): Now, Flange, I'm certain she had a good reason.

Flange: For all we know, she was out cavorting with FRAGGLES. The nerve!

Wingnut: You don't know that --.

Cotterpin (protesting): I WASN'T! I'm on ASSIGNMENT! You know that!

Flange (still not looking at his daughter): And what assignment would THAT be?

Cotterpin: Uh ... designing ... a ... um ... a supply warehouse!

Wingnut (trying to keep the peace): See, Flange? Your daughter was on an important assignment from the Architect himself! Let's just get ready, shall we?

Flange (stands): Of course, dear. You're right. (pauses) But she's YOUR mother! YOU should be angry with your daughter!

Cotterpin (backing up against the door nervously): Um, Mommy? Daddy? Please don't fight....

Wingnut (stands, frowning): She's YOUR daughter too, Flange! Her short attention span comes from YOUR side of the family!

Cotterpin (slack-jawed): Mother!

Flange: Are you sure she didn't get it from your mother? She couldn't remember the number of degrees in a right angle!

Cotterpin (speechless, whimpering)

Wingnut (beginning to cry, long pause as she tries to compose herself): You're ... you're sleeping out in the courtyard tonight ... starting ... right ... now.

Flange (seems shocked, but angrily and silently takes his helmet off the rack and leaves)

Cotterpin (after a long pause, terrified, tries to comfort Wingnut): Mother?

Wingnut (avoids looking at Cotterpin, softly): Return to your work crew, Cotterpin. Just ... go.

[fade-out]

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Neither have I. I can't really explain why I made this a human play about Doozers instead of your typical fic (Lord knows I could probably do more had I done so), but I like thinking of special effects and theatrics and such. It's partly why I relate so well to Cotterpin ... she's an imaginative geek, like me. :smile: