The Darkwing Duck Thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Let's discuss that great animated series Darkwing Duck. It sure was great. My favorite characters were Darkwing, Launchpad, Honker, Megavolt, Quackerjack, and Steelbeak.

It is interesting that Darkwing Duck uses Drake Mallard as his secret identity, yet Launchpad, Gosalyn, and Honker are alwasys seen around him regardless of what mode Darkwing is in, and usually don't have their own alternate identities, and yet the villians never catch on.

Another odd thing is the fact that when Laucnhpad is seen without his hat, he sometimes has a full head of hair, and at other times, only the hair seen when he wears his hat is shown. I wodner what the deal was there. Could the animators have decided to chaneg their mind on how he looks without the hat?

Anyway, Darkwing Duck was a great series. I had all of the action figures made in 1992. I regret not buying the DVDs when I had the chance, and now I never see them in stores (not even used video stores).

Kiki

Reaction score
Ahh... I love Darkwing Duck. :big_grin: Used to be on all the time when I was little (but luckily I still have some videos), and they used to have the comics in the old Disney Adventures.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I miss this show! Would really love to see it again! This was another really good Disney afternoon show like DuckTales!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
The writers should have done a story where Negaduck infiltraded F.O.W.L since that was only thing besides Darkwing Duck that stand in his way for world domination.

Negaduck could have battled Steelbeak.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dude, dat's my JAM! :big_grin: I'm all the way with Darkwing Duck. And pretty miffed Disney has opted not to finish off the DVD's.

L

Another odd thing is the fact that when Laucnhpad is seen without his hat, he sometimes has a full head of hair, and at other times, only the hair seen when he wears his hat is shown. I wodner what the deal was there. Could the animators have decided to chaneg their mind on how he looks without the hat?
I've noticed this... Launchpad in Ducktales had a full head of hair (or is it fethers drawn to look like hair? Maybe fuzz, like on a newborn duck?), while his Darkwing Duck counterpart has been bald expect for the top knot. Only thing I can think of is that the animators didn't see the original LP model sheet before redesigning the character, and didn't think he had all that hair.

Funny thing for anyone who wants to make a comparison. Watch a Ducktales (preferably, one with LP as the star of the episode and Doofus is in the plot.... "Where No Duck has Gone Before," "Hero for Hire," or "Super Doofus" are my suggestions), then watch any Darkwing that has Launchpad in it. You'll see that Launchpad has essentially became to Darkwing what Doofus was to him. It's all very interesting.

Plus, they recycled a Ducktales episode for Darkwing Duck, when LP accidentally is unveiled as the secret identity of DW... this happened on Ducktales, only with Gizmoduck.

Princeton

Reaction score
Never saw the show, but played the board game religiously! It's been a long time since I've played it, but I remember being captivated by the designs of the characters. The only villian whose name I remember is Tuskerninni, but maybe someone can identify the other villians based on the descriptions. There was a green duck with pink hair and a weasel in a yellow jumpsuit.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I don't remember specific episodes but the opening theme definitely fills me with nostalgia :smile:

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember doing a voice artist focus on Darkwing Duck a while back. Here it is again in case you're interested.

JIM CUMMINGS: Darkwing Duck/Drake Mallard, Herb Muddlefoot, Moliarty, Negaduck
TERRY McGOVERN: Launchpad McQuack
CHRISTINE CAVANAUGH: Gosalyn Mallard
KATIE LEIGH: Honker Muddlefoot
SUSAN TOLSKY: Binky Muddlefoot
DANA HILL: Tank Muddlefoot
DANNY MANN: J. Gander Hooter
RON FEINBERG: Agent Grizzlikoff
JODI CARLISLE: Dr. Sara Bellum
ROB PAULSEN: Steelbeak
DAN CASTELLANETA: Megavolt
TINO INSANA: Bushroot
KEN MARS: Tuskerninni
MITZI McCALL: Ammonia Pine
MICHAEL BELL: Quackerjack
JACK ANGEL: Liquidator
MICHAEL GOUGH: Jambalaya Jake
TIM CURRY: Taurus Bulba
KATH SOUCIE: Morgana McCawber
JOEY CAMEN: Stegmutt
SUSAN SILO: Neptunia
HAMILTON CAMP: Fenton Crackshell/Gizmoduck

Yes, it seems like Darkwing Duck was Jim Cummings's most famous voice. I remember in a magazine, it showed a photo of Jim dressed in Darkwing's hat and cape. And I remember he was telling us the difference between doing Darkwing's and Negaduck's voices. When voicing Negaduck, he has to make the Darkwing voice sound more gravely.

And I thought it was neat hearing Dan Castellaneta voice Megavolt after hearing him do the voice of Homer Simpson.

And I really like Rob Paulsen's performance as the smart mouth, I mean, smart beaked, Steelbeak.

Xerus

Reaction score
Never saw the show, but played the board game religiously! It's been a long time since I've played it, but I remember being captivated by the designs of the characters. The only villian whose name I remember is Tuskerninni, but maybe someone can identify the other villians based on the descriptions. There was a green duck with pink hair and a weasel in a yellow jumpsuit.
The green duck with pink hair was called Bushroot. He was a mutant plant duck who had the power to control plant life.

The weasel was named Megavolt. He had the power to shoot electricity. Darkwing claims that Megavolt is his number one arch enemy.

And Tuskerninni was the walrus who was a former movie actor and uses acting and movie equipment to commit crimes.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Plus, they recycled a Ducktales episode for Darkwing Duck, when LP accidentally is unveiled as the secret identity of DW... this happened on Ducktales, only with Gizmoduck.
Plus not to mention that Gizmoduck was sometimes feature on Darkwing Duck, which I always thought was a neat crossover.

Funny I was just watching this show last night too and thinking about it and I just saw this thread, I have the DVDs.

There was also some a little bit of controversy with the episode "Hot spells," which was a episode in which Gosalyn gets magical powers to a character named Beelzebub, whom seemed a lot like the devil. She got the powers in exchange for Darkwing's soul.

From Disney afternoon show standards this show was pretty dark. Not just the episode "Hot Spells" but also the episode "Night of the Living Spud" which was the origin of Bushroot.

Yes I'm a huge fan of Darkwing Duck, it's one of my all time favorite animated shows.