Catgut, Rover Joe and T.R. Rooster appearances on "The Muppet Show"

P

Philip Kippel

Which specific episodes of "The Muppet Show" did Catgut, Rover Joe and T.R. the Rooster appear in? Which numbers/sketches/scenes were they in and what did they do?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
If it helps you any, kermitage.com lists Catgut, T.R. the Rooster and Rover Joe as separate entries in their individual indeces. Such entries include each character's performer and the episode they showed up in, though I've been meaning to ask someone who could answer this: did Leroy the Donkey, the fourth Muppet Musician of Brehmen ever appear on the Muppet Show along with his fellow compatriots or on his own? Just noticed that Leroy was missing from the Muppet Musicians of Brehmen entries over at kermitage.com.

Joggy

Reaction score
Nope, Leroy never appeared on the Muppet Show. TR often appeared with the chickens. Rover Joe was in a few scenes with dogs (#23 Kaye Ballard, #76 Dyan Cannon, #80 Arlo Guthrie and possibly more), and Catgut appeared in a few episodes, mostly series 1.

P

Philip Kippel

However, the Catgut, Rover Joe and T.R. Rooster "Muppet Show" appearances that I DO know of are as follows:

CATGUT:
#16 Avery Schrieber: sings in the UK Spot "May You Always"
#77 Victor Borge: appears briefly in "Rock Around the Clock"
#97 Gene Kelly: cameo as an eskimo in the opening # "On the Bayou"

ROVER JOE:
#23 Kaye Ballard: appears in the UK Spot "Life Gets Tedious"
#76 Dyan Cannon: appears in the opening # "Hound Dog"
#119 Linda Ronstadt: appears in "The Cat Came Back" as "the man who was driving way out west"

T.R. ROOSTER:
#10 Harvey Korman: leads the procession of marching chickens
#31 Edgar Bergen: conducts the singing chickens in the opening # "Baby Face"
#44 Petula Clark: the "hero" in the chicken saloon sketch
#51 Roy Clark: sings in Roy's closing # "Sally Was a Good Ol' Girl"
#66 Leslie Uggams: appears briefly in a backstage scene
#69 Roger Miller: appears backstage; sings and plays a guitar in Roger's closing #
#100 Shirley Bassey: appears in the opening # "Boogie in the Barnyard"
#117 Johnny Cash: sings in the background in "Ghost Riders in the Sky" and (I think) in Johnny's closing #
#120 Roger Moore: appears in the opening # "In the Navy"

Did they make more "Muppet Show" appearances than the ones I listed? If so, please let me know.

Did they ever appear in the goodnights?

Thanks again everyone. Bye for now.

P

Philip Kippel

I'm still desperate to find full lists of Catgut's, Rover Joe's and T.R. Rooster's "Muppet Show" appearances!

Dave "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole, where are you?:frown:

P

Philip Kippel

Updated lists:

CATGUT:
#16 Avery Schrieber: she sings with Rowlf, Baskeville and Muppy in the UK Spot "May You Always"
#77 Victor Borge: she appears briefly in "Rock Around the Clock"
#97 Gene Kelly: she makes a cameo appearance as an eskimo in the opening number "On the Bayou"

ROVER JOE:
#23 Kaye Ballard: he appears in the UK Spot "Life Gets Tedious"
#76 Dyan Cannon: he appears in the opening number "Hound Dog" and in the UK Spot "Old Dog Trey"
#119 Linda Ronstadt: he appears in "The Cat Came Back" as 'the man who was driving way out west'

T.R. ROOSTER:
#10 Harvey Korman: he leads the procession of marching chickens
#31 Edgar Bergen: he conducts the singing chickens in the opening number "Baby Face"
#44 Petula Clark: he's the 'hero' in the chicken saloon sketch
#51 Roy Clark: he sings in Roy's closing number "Sally Was a Good Ol' Girl"
#66 Leslie Uggams: he appears briefly in a backstage scene
#69 Roger Miller: he sings and plays a guitar in Roger's closing number
#100 Shirley Bassey: he appears in the opening number "Boogie in the Barnyard"
#117 Johnny Cash: he appears in the background in "Ghost Riders in the Sky"
#120 Roger Moore: he appears in the opening number "In the Navy"

Any others?

Were any of them ever in the goodnights?

P

Philip Kippel

Re-updated lists

CATGUT:
#16 Avery Schrieber: she sings with Rowlf, Baskerville and Muppy in the UK Spot "May You Always"
#32 Steve Martin: she appears in the audience at the beginning of the show
#77 Victor Borge: she appears briefly in "Rock Around the Clock"
#97 Gene Kelly: she makes a cameo appearance as an eskimo in the opening number "On the Bayou"

ROVER JOE:
#23 Kaye Ballard: he appears in the UK Spot "Life Gets Tedious"
#76 Dyan Cannon: he appears in the opening number "Hound Dog" and in the UK Spot "Old Dog Trey"
#119 Linda Ronstadt: he appears in "The Cat Came Back" as 'the man who was driving way out west'

T.R. ROOSTER:
#10 Harvey Korman: he leads the procession of marching chickens
#31 Edgar Bergen: he conducts the singing chickens in the opening number "Baby Face"
#32 Steve Martin: he appears in the audience at the beginning of the show
#44 Petula Clark: he's the 'hero' in the chicken saloon sketch
#51 Roy Clark: he sings in Roy's closing number "Sally Was a Good Ol' Girl"
#66 Leslie Uggams: he appears briefly in a backstage scene
#69 Roger Miller: he sings and plays a guitar in Roger's closing number
#100 Shirley Bassey: he appears in the opening number "Boogie in the Barnyard"
#117 Johnny Cash: he appears in the background in "Ghost Riders in the Sky"
#120 Roger Moore: he appears in the opening number "In the Navy"

I still want to know if these 3 made more "Muppet Show" appearances than the ones I've listed.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
CATGUT:
#3 Joel Grey: part of the band in "Wilkommen"
#6 Jim Nabors: appears in closing #, "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" (I think T.R. might be in this one too, not sure)

T.R. ROOSTER:
#28 Rich Little: appears in audience (all chickens) after Gonzo's dancing chicken act (this shot is repeated after "Baby Face" in the Edgar Bergen ep.)
#39 Lou Rawls: dances in "At the Dance"
#51 Roy Clark: dances in "At the Dance"

I think T.R. appears somewhere in the Loretta Lynn episode but I'm not sure where if he does, ditto the Roy Rogers & Dale Evans and Lynn Redgrave episodes.

In regards to 'where am I', I am at college, catching up on homework, singing in the choir, pondering my existence, moping over my terminal lack of romance, doing a radio show, taking upper-level courses, and the like, a full plate, if you will.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

P

Philip Kippel

Originally posted by Gorgon Heap
CATGUT:
#3 Joel Grey: part of the band in "Wilkommen"
#6 Jim Nabors: appears in closing #, "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" (I think T.R. might be in this one too, not sure)

T.R. ROOSTER:
#28 Rich Little: appears in audience (all chickens) after Gonzo's dancing chicken act (this shot is repeated after "Baby Face" in the Edgar Bergen ep.)
#39 Lou Rawls: dances in "At the Dance"
#51 Roy Clark: dances in "At the Dance"

I think T.R. appears somewhere in the Loretta Lynn episode but I'm not sure where if he does, ditto the Roy Rogers & Dale Evans and Lynn Redgrave episodes.

In regards to 'where am I', I am at college, catching up on homework, singing in the choir, pondering my existence, moping over my terminal lack of romance, doing a radio show, taking upper-level courses, and the like, a full plate, if you will.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
Thanks for the additional info, Mr. Ebersole.

I know and understand that you're busy with college right now--you said so in a previous posting.

Also, T.R. DOES NOT appear in the Roy Rogers & Dale Evans episode.

I never saw the Loretta Lynn ep. and I vaguely remember the Lynn Redgrave and Jim Nabors eps.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Is this a full list or is there more additions to be made ?

Also did they appear in any other Muppet Specials ?

see ya