Paul Lynde

Xerus

Reaction score
XERUS’S VOICE ARTIST FOCUS:

Today’s V/A focus is the late Paul Lynde who passed away in 1982. Paul was seen in a lot of movies, Broadway musicals, and TV shows where he played Uncle Arthur from Bewitched and Harry McAfee from Bye Bye Birdie. Paul also had his own sitcom called The Paul Lynde show. Plus he was the regular center square in the classic Hollywood Squares for a while. Paul had a very unforgettable voice which was perfect for voicing certain Hanna-Barbera characters like Mildew Wolf and the Hooded Claw, but he usually went uncredited for he was worried that his Hollywood Squares co-stars might tease him. Paul Lynde was a voice I could always recognize and enjoyed during my childhood from watching him on HS to all of his cartoon voices. May you rest in peace, Mr. Lynde. :cry:

CHARLOTTE’S WEB(ORIGINAL ANIMATED MOVIE): Templeton
HUGO THE HIPPO: Aban-Khan
IT’S THE WOLF!: Mildew Wolf(uncredited)
JOURNEY BACK TO OZ: Pumpkinhead
THE PERILS OF PENELOPE PITSTOP: The Hooded Claw/Sylvester Sneakly(uncredited)
WHERE’S HUDDLES?: Claude Pertwee

D'Snowth

Reaction score
He went uncredited for Charlotte's Web as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah yes. The great Paul Lynde. one of my favorite classic comedians. That unmistakably snarky effeminant voice that only he could have originated.

For years, voice actors have been paying homage to this famous actor, and did impersonations for cartoon character voices. My personal favorite, the American English dub of Kirby. The character of Dr. Escargoon was given a Paul Lynde-esque voice.

Xerus

Reaction score
He went uncredited for Charlotte's Web as well.
Really? I thought he was. I'll have to catch that movie again and see.

Also, Agnes Moorehead who played Endora on Bewitched voiced the goose on Charlotte's Web. So that's two Bewitched performers who did voices in that movie.

Xerus

Reaction score
Ah yes. The great Paul Lynde. one of my favorite classic comedians. That unmistakably snarky effeminant voice that only he could have originated.

For years, voice actors have been paying homage to this famous actor, and did impersonations for cartoon character voices. My personal favorite, the American English dub of Kirby. The character of Dr. Escargoon was given a Paul Lynde-esque voice.
In Laff-A-Lympics, Paul Lynde wasn't available to voice Mildew for some reason so John Stephenson ended up voicing him.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Really? I thought he was. I'll have to catch that movie again and see.

Also, Agnes Moorehead who played Endora on Bewitched voiced the goose on Charlotte's Web. So that's two Bewitched performers who did voices in that movie.
And it's also rather amusing because Endora and Arthur were brother and sister, and they were constantly bicker about each other (Endora not liking to put up with Arthur's pranks, while Arthur feeling Endora's too uptight), and then in Charlotte's Web, it's amusing whenever Goose snaps at him because it's almost like Endora/Uncle Arthur all over again.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Interesting tidbit; the character of Roger on American Dad was modelled after Paul Lynde, most noticeably his voice but also the humour to some extent; Roger is quick-witted and also a little bit mouthy/inappropriate like Lynde on Hollywood Squares. I have AD Season 1 and this was mentioned on either a commentary track or one of the featurettes.

Xerus

Reaction score
Also, in a Simpsons episode where they showed a scene from a classic Radioactive Man episode, they had Paul Lynde playing a villain called The Scoutmaster. And Hank Azaria provided Paul's familiar voice.