MC isn't what it used to be

ssetta

Reaction score
I remember back in 2002 when I first joined MC, there used to be a LOT more classic Sesame Street fans. I remember people knew all this stuff about the show in the 70s and 80s. Now, all people ever talk about is the current SS. And remember that old abandoned message board called YesterdayLand? I really miss it a lot. All of them were TRUE fans of Classic Sesame Street. Most of the people know hardly know anything about it. All they ever do is ask questions that most of the vets already know the answers to, and it isn't the same. Why do you think this is?

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude, but not everything is based on current stuff.
However the classics may be (wonderful), it's always good to be up to date with
what's happening with muppet/sesame street so we can speculate opinions and whatnot.

There are still some threads lying around that discuss all things classic.
You may be exaggerating just a tadbit.

Since when is there a true fan?
A fan is someone who partakes interest in a show wether new or knowledgable.
MC may have changed for the better.

It's still the same forum, Sseta.
It's just expanded in ideas, viewpoints, and all that jazz.
A forum that does not express ideas that differ will inevitably suffer a decrease in interest.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It's not a sin to like both classic and modern SS ya' know. Just because more poeple are focusing on the new stuff doesn't mean we don't care. Lighten up.

ssetta

Reaction score
Okay, okay. Maybe I am exaggerating a little bit. It's just that I think I MAY love classic Sesame Street more than anyone else. I often feel like I can't live without it. I know there are other shows on today, but they just don't compare. And also, there's a lot that I like about Sesame Street besides just the Muppets. I also like the live-action films and animations, which don't seem to get discussed on these boards very often. I'm just like totally upset these days, I don't know why.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:insatiable: Muppet Central includes Muppets and creatures of every sort - old and new. I encourage you to create threads about topics that suit your interest and see if anyone joins in. I bet you'll get more than a few member posts.

:search: As for Classic Sesame Street on Muppet Central - look to the right. There are eight classic Sesame smilies (9 if you add Kermit, 10 if you add the penguin and 11 if you make the far reach and add Rowlf who appeared in the Sesame pitch reel). That case is also true for the Muppet Central Cards Menu. Sure, the content is abandoned (I still don't know quite what's up with that) but the characters are mostly classics: Snuffy, Count, Ernie, Bert, Cookie, Oscar, Slimey, Mumford (poster), Super Grover, Mr. Hooper (drawing), Big Bird, Little Bird and Telly (the newest of the assortment technically originating in 79). There is no Elmo, Zoe (whom I like), Baby Bear or Abby around these parts. It's not a slight. I just didn't grow up with them so they are a design afterthought. Some of these guys are included in holiday menus.

:stick_out_tongue: As for Classic Sesame talk from me - I am as much a Classic Sesame fan as I am all of Jim Henson's work. It's just that The Muppet Show gang, Fraggle Rock and the fantasy films capture my attention a little bit more. Heck, I just bought a whole bunch of really cool Sesame Street Kubricks! I now have a Supreme Kermit and Blue Twiddlebug rounding out the assortment not featured in the photograph. It's funny how they passed over some characters in order to include fan classics like Little Bird, Herry, Twiddlebugs and Prairie Dawn. I posted about this and in a different thread I posted about receiving a fantastic birthday gift of the Oscar multicolored Kubrick set (but will not be investing in the Elmo one).

I'll check a bit more around the Sesame threads and see if there's anything I could add. I can't say that the classic programs in their entirety intrigue me as much as particular sketches and - most of all - the characters! Ernie and Oscar are my all-time favorites. Sherlock Hemlock is, of course, my particular fan fave. I remember having an old rubber puppet of his along with my Bert and Ernie ones. Those puppet materials seem so creepy next to today's toys but I loved the heck out of 'em! I loved them good!

Well, that's enough Sesame talk from me for this post except for the fact that if there's ever a petition to sign to get "Follow That Bird" in widescreen, sign me up!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I can't say I love talking about modern Sesame Street, lol. But obviously we're allowed to talk about all kinds of things here and that's great. I agree that the best thing to do is try starting more thread topics about Classic Sesame Street.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I remember back in 2002 when I first joined MC, there used to be a LOT more classic Sesame Street fans. I remember people knew all this stuff about the show in the 70s and 80s. Now, all people ever talk about is the current SS. And remember that old abandoned message board called YesterdayLand? I really miss it a lot. All of them were TRUE fans of Classic Sesame Street. Most of the people know hardly know anything about it. All they ever do is ask questions that most of the vets already know the answers to, and it isn't the same. Why do you think this is?
Hey, not to knock the new generation of SS afficianados, but I'm an old school Sesame Street alum (born in 1974), so if you ever wanna rap about how Oscar was originally orange, what became of Sam the Robot, or how many Gordons there were, I'm here for ya!

Redsonga

Reaction score
I may have been born in 1983, but I would say I am as much a fan of SS up untill the early 90's as anyone else, I saw a lot of the older parts in the shows without ever knowing they were from the 70's...
But really, I don't think you can say that just because people don't talk about he older show all the time they must not be as big of fans of it...It's just some of us love the older shows and just cannot find them anywhere legal if we wanted to, so our love is locked in memories...

As far as asking questions go how is anyone going to learn anything unless they ask questions? It's not like vets all grow fully formed from the ground, everyone was a newbie once....

I actually don't like the new SS that much, but even though I like the older shows more, even if I have seen them lately, I can never think of anything good to add besides agreeing that it is nice/funny/weird/scary and talk about my memories of it.
They are so dear to me in a part of my mind that I can never see having heated debates over older SS like I do with Fraggle Rock (which I only first saw when I was 12)..

Brooklyn

Reaction score
Just to follow suit, If you feel there is content missing on the forums, or passion that is lacking - bring it. I know that others will follow.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Now here is something that I agree with. I've been at MC for years, and I've seen it undergo many changes in tone and style because members have left, and new members have arrived, and old members have come back, and new members have left, etc, and in that time I have discovered the only way to bring back the feel and living-breathing-ness of the Golden Ages (And Broze, Silver, Paper, China, Lemonade, and Chocolate ages) is to post in that manner, to keep humour admist the sarcasm, to keep old among new, to keep Sam and Friends with Bear in the Big Blue House.

*steps off soap-box onto soap*

Bea:zany:{Whooohahahawhaaaa!}regard