Changes for AOL MC Members

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We are asking that if you have your forum account registered with an AOL e-mail address that you please update your account to an e-mail address other than AOL. You can do this through your control panel and then “edit e-mail and password”. There are many free alternatives available (Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo) if you need an alternate address. If desired, please also add your new e-mail address to our mailing list. If your try to change your forum e-mail to an AOL address or register a new account with an AOL address, your e-mail will be denied from this point forward.

This change is being made because of how AOL handles mail from many forums (including vBulletin), incorrectly labeling some messages as Spam. Most forum e-mails to AOL accounts are not received at all. We’ve attempted to make changes on our end to resolve this issue, however, many users are still not receiving e-mails through the forum. This issue has been going on for a long time and this solution is in the best long-term interests of the site and all of our members.

If you have an AOL address registered with your account and you do not manually update your profile now, towards the end of the month you'll see a notice when you login to update your profile with a non-AOL address in order for your account to be fully active once again.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Awaiting E-mail Conformation

I've noticed that lately there are a few members that, instead of having their member rank under their name, have the message "awaiting e-mail confirmation," indicating that they were never cleared to post on this site. Since they are on this site, some of them being senior, this is impossible. For refference, I know one of them is Minor Muppets, but I know there are some others that I don't remember. I know some members have been banned in the history of MC, but this seems different.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That happened to me. I think it's because they have AOL email adresses.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... A little bit of explanation, some of which was recently shared to me by Phil himself.

When a person registers as a new member at Muppet Central, they provide an email address so the forum has a place to contact said member. However, there are two status lines a person will see during this process:
1 Registering, while doing so in order to become a member; and
2 Awaiting email confirmation, because that person then has to go to their email inbox and find the confirmation email with according instructions to activate their account, thus becoming a "Junior Member".

In spite of this, due to the upgrades to Muppet Central, any user who has an aol.com email address will now be branded with the "Awaiting email confirmation" status. This means that they have to either confirm their addresses or update their profiles with whatever new email address they use.

Hope this helps. Please let myself or Phil know if you are one of these aol.com address members and we'll do our best to help you out.
Thanks and have a good day. :batty:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Awaiting e-mail confirmation" is also seen anytime you update your e-mail address on your account before you verify it via e-mail regardless of whether you've been a member a day or five years.

As Ed mentioned, we know the AOL changes are an inconvenience; however, the implementation is a necessity.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Lol... AOL sucks.

I've lost a LOT of members from my old Kathy Greenwood forum because they never got their confirmation e-mails due to AOL blocking them.

WHY does AOL have to block IMPORTANT e-mails as "spam"?>

Katzi428

Reaction score
Lol... AOL sucks.

I've lost a LOT of members from my old Kathy Greenwood forum because they never got their confirmation e-mails due to AOL blocking them.

WHY does AOL have to block IMPORTANT e-mails as "spam"?>
Wish I knew Snowseph...wish I knew. :confused:
If AOLers would put forum addresses in their address books,there wouldn't be a problem.
I wouldn't say AOL sucks (well not really TOO much) They're just too eager to put what they think is Spam in Spam folders.Maybe they're protecting us? *shrug*

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Ah, thanks Ed and Phill for clearing that up! Not a problem for me, just something I was noticing.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... Another thing to note, and I'm not entirely 100% sure on this, but I believe that if a member still gets the "Awaiting email confirmation" status for a whole week or 7 days without confirming/activating their account, the member in question's account is automatically deleted from the system without malice on part of anyone associated with the forums. So, as you can see, it behoves members to either confirm or update their accounts' email contact address.

Hope this helps.