I Think This Says it All

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, now first of all, believe it or not, this quote DOES come from IMDb, and I know that place is chockful of weirdos, but I think this will clears things up a bit...

You guys know how I always talk about how much my fanfics and fanart suck? Well, contrary to popular belief, it's NOT because I'm just trying to gain sympathy comments ("Oh, no, Snowthy, don't say that, it's good, honest"), that's not it at all... THIS is the real reason why...

Some Guy at IMDb said:
If you want to write a fanfiction story then fine,but coming on here to promote it and saying its 'terrific' is very smug and egotisical.
THAT'S the real reason why I try to never pass off anything I do as something "terrific", or even "pretty good", as I too feel that such self-promotion is rather smug, egotisical, and a little self-righteous (which is probably yet another factor in why I always failed in the "Promoting KGZ" department); so for those of you who are thinking "Snowth, quit trying to gain sympathy comments, it doesn't work like that", just put that thought out of your minds, because that ain't my angle at all.

A rather random thread, yes, but I hope I got a point across.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, that's true. You don't want to appear egotistical. But then again, it's not good to downplay yourself either. Whether you mean it to or not, it can turn people off.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, that's true. You don't want to appear egotistical. But then again, it's not good to downplay yourself either. Whether you mean it to or not, it can turn people off.
Well, I'd rather turn people off by being an underdog rather than being a glory hog.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I get you. Just that there's a difference between being an underdog and apologizing too much for yourself. They always tell people, before you give a speech, don't apologize for mistakes. If you don't say anything, chances are the audience won't notice. If you do mention a mistake, they definitely will.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I get you. Just that there's a difference between being an underdog and apologizing too much for yourself. They always tell people, before you give a speech, don't apologize for mistakes. If you don't say anything, chances are the audience won't notice. If you do mention a mistake, they definitely will.
Yeah, I've been told that many, many times before... I guess it must be true.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, and I still don't always listen to the advice myself, lol. It's such a balancing act, trying to be modest and proud at the same time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, and I still don't always listen to the advice myself, lol. It's such a balancing act, trying to be modest and proud at the same time.
Yeah, I meant to use the term modest, rather than underdog.

But you still get my point; I was just simply trying to get people to understand the real reason why I always insist my work sucks.

And truth be told, I'm actually NEVER proud of my work at all. Not a bit! All the things I've done over the years: all the comic strips I've published, all those T*K*O scripts I've written, all the fanfiction and fanart I've contributed to other sites in the past, and one I'm currently contributing to right now, even all these Steve D'Monster videos I do, I look at all I've done, and I ALWAYS find something in each piece of my work and say I could've done this better, or I could've done a better job on that. In fact, my recent Steve video for Valentine's Day, I'm a little disappointed with because I meant to, at one point, have Steve spit the chocolate he didn't like back into his girlfriend's box just to add a bit of extra comedy to the video, but it slipped my mind, and now it's too late.

Just about the only work of mine I HAVE been proud of are the three little animated Ed, Edd n Eddy cartoons I did in Macromedia Flash, and the scripts I've written for my sitcom.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I guess the best thing for people to say is something like, "I hope you enjoy."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well I guess the best thing for people to say is something like, "I hope you enjoy."
Heralde? That is EXCELLENT advice! It really is! I'm sure I'll have better results by saying something along the lines of that, rather than always saying "Yeah, I know this sucks, but here it is anyway."

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh! Cool! Glad that works, I just sat for a moment and thought and that's what came out. Never be afraid to sit for a moment and think.