Jean Vander Pyl

Xerus

Reaction score
XERUS'S VOICE ARTIST FOCUS:

Today's V/A focus is the late Jean Vander Pyl. Jean was one of the very first voice actresses to work for Hanna-Barbera where she did additional voices for episodes of Yogi Bear and Quick Draw McGraw. Jean then started voicing regular HB characters like Winsome Witch and Rosie the Robot. But Jean's most famous voice was Wilma Flintstone and she continued to voice Wilma through many years of Flintstones TV series, specials, and movies until her death in 1999. Jean also appeared in the live action Flintstones movie where she danced behind Dino in a conga line at Fred's party. Jean will be missed. :cry:

DINO: STAY OUT!: Wilma Flintstone
FENDER BENDER 500: Winsome Witch
THE FLINTSTONES: Wilma Flintstone, Baby Pebbles, Mrs. Slate
A FLINTSTONE CHRISTMAS: Wilma Flintstone, Pebbles Flintstone
A FLINTSTONE CHRISTMAS CAROL: Wilma Flintstone
THE FLINTSTONES' CHRISTMAS IN BEDROCK: Wilma Flintstone
THE FLINTSTONES' COMEDY SHOW: Wilma Flintstone, Mrs. Slate
THE FLINTSTONE FUNNIES: Wilma Flintstone, Mrs. Slate
THE FLINTSONTES JOGGING FEVER: Wilma Flintstone, Baby Pebbles
THE FLINTSTONE KIDS: Mrs. Slaghoople
THE FLINTSTONES’ LITTLE BIG LEAGUE: Wilma Flintstone
THE FLINTSTONES MEET ROCKULA AND FRANKENSTONE: Wilma Flintstone
THE FLINTSTONES’ NEW NEIGHBORS: Wilma Flintstone, Baby Pebbles
THE FLINTSTONES’ WACKY INVENTIONS: Wilma Flintstone, Baby Pebbles
FRED’S FINAL FLING: Wilma Flintstone, Baby Pebbles
THE HILLBILLY BEARS: Maw Rugg, Floral Rugg
HOLLYROCK-A-BYE BABY: Wilma Flintstone
I YABBA DABBA DOO: Wilma Flintstone, Mrs. Slate
INCH HIGH PRIVATE EYE: Mrs. Finkerton
THE JETSONS: Rosie the Robot, Mrs. Spacely
JETSONS, THE MOVIE: Rosie the Robot
THE JETSONS MEET THE FLINTSTONES: Wilma Flintstone, Rosie the Robot
THE MAGILLA GORILLA SHOW: Ogee
THE MAN CALLED FLINTSTONE: Wilma Flintstone, Baby Pebbles
THE NEW FRED AND BARNEY SHOW: Wilma Flintstone, Baby Pebbles, Mrs. Slate
THE PEBBLES AND BAMM-BAMM SHOW: Wilma Flintstone, Mrs. Slate
THE QUICK DRAW McGRAW SHOW: additional voices
ROCKIN’ WITH JUDY JETSON: Rosie the Robot
SANTA AND THE THREE BEARS: Nana
TOP CAT: additional voices
WHERE’S HUDDLES?: Marge Huddles
WIND UP WILMA: Wilma Flintstone, Baby Pebbles
WINSOME WITCH: Winsome Witch
THE YOGI BEAR SHOW: additional voices
YOGI’S ARK LARK: Maw Rugg, Floral Rugg
YOGI’S GANG: Maw Rugg, Floral Rugg
YOGI’S TREASURE HUNT: Maw Rugg

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... You sure it's not Winnie Witch instead? Just checkin'. Thanks and keep up the great work.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Hey my good buddy, Xerus! :smile:

As soon as I saw Jean Vander Pyl in the thread title I knew it was Wilma Flintstone. I'm a big fan of "The Flintstones". Yabba Dabba Do!

I knew she did the voice of both Wilma and Pebbles but didn't know she did many other Hanna Barbera voices like Rosie and Mr. Spacely's wife on "The Jetsons."

Here's a poem that Fred had written to Wilma before they were married:

I love thee Wilma, with hair like silk,
Lips like cherries, skin like milk,
Your shell-like ears, your dainty hands,
And eyes so black, like frying pans

And when you in my arms are in,
My love how can you doubt?
I quiver just like geletin,
And sometimes even break out.

You're a perfect peach, my love,
Together we're a pear (pair),
You're sweet, you're nice, you're paradise.
--------

Barney and Wilma knocked the lyrics of this poem, but awww c'mon. It's the thought that counts and Fred clearly was in love with his Wilma, even if he wasn't a poet and didn't know it!

Xerus

Reaction score
Hmmm... You sure it's not Winnie Witch instead? Just checkin'. Thanks and keep up the great work.
Thank you, I will. :smile:

Her name was Winsome Witch but her nickname was Winnie. She had her own series as part of the Secret Squirrel show and she later became a racer on the Fender Bender 500 cartoons.

Xerus

Reaction score
Hey my good buddy, Xerus! :smile:

As soon as I saw Jean Vander Pyl in the thread title I knew it was Wilma Flintstone. I'm a big fan of "The Flintstones". Yabba Dabba Do!

I knew she did the voice of both Wilma and Pebbles but didn't know she did many other Hanna Barbera voices like Rosie and Mr. Spacely's wife on "The Jetsons."

Here's a poem that Fred had written to Wilma before they were married:

I love thee Wilma, with hair like silk,
Lips like cherries, skin like milk,
Your shell-like ears, your dainty hands,
And eyes so black, like frying pans

And when you in my arms are in,
My love how can you doubt?
I quiver just like geletin,
And sometimes even break out.

You're a perfect peach, my love,
Together we're a pear (pair),
You're sweet, you're nice, you're paradise.
--------

Barney and Wilma knocked the lyrics of this poem, but awww c'mon. It's the thought that counts and Fred clearly was in love with his Wilma, even if he wasn't a poet and didn't know it!
Hey there my pal, Ziffel. :smile:

I too remember those poems Fred wrote to Wilma, especially the part where Wilma had eyes so black like frying pans.

Jean did voice quite a few sassy smart mouthed women like Wilma and Rosie and I liked her hillbilly sounding Maw Rugg.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... That's why I ask... Been watching Secret Squirrel on Boomerang at 1:00 PM (2:00 PM due to no DST here in PR) for the Winnsome Witch segments, though it's called Winnie the Witch and I've yet to hear refered to as "Winnsome".

FenderBender500... Now there's a series I rully liked.
Winnie had Car #13, The Sonic Broom, a cauldron on wheels... With Lucky the Black Cat at her side and Axle the skeletal skull and arms hood ornament. Though I didn't like the cars went from Double 0 to 7, and then 13. That's pretty much why I imagined other HB pairings from the Yogi Bear realms in cars to complete the numbering.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Hey there my pal, Ziffel. :smile:

I too remember those poems Fred wrote to Wilma, especially the part where Wilma had eyes so black like frying pans.

Jean did voice quite a few sassy smart mouthed women like Wilma and Rosie and I liked her hillbilly sounding Maw Rugg.
Heh heh, the frying pans part was probably Fred's worst line in that poem. But actually, at the end of that episode Wilma did say to Fred, "Do I still have eyes as balck as frying pans?" and Fred hugged her and said, "You sure do, honey. You sure do." So that was real nice that Wilma did consider that poem special because she knew Fred meant it with all his heart and love for her, and thus it was cherished by Wilma. Awwwwww! :smile:

Xerus

Reaction score
Yeah... That's why I ask... Been watching Secret Squirrel on Boomerang at 1:00 PM (2:00 PM due to no DST here in PR) for the Winnsome Witch segments, though it's called Winnie the Witch and I've yet to hear refered to as "Winnsome".

FenderBender500... Now there's a series I rully liked.
Winnie had Car #13, The Sonic Broom, a cauldron on wheels... With Lucky the Black Cat at her side and Axle the skeletal skull and arms hood ornament. Though I didn't like the cars went from Double 0 to 7, and then 13. That's pretty much why I imagined other HB pairings from the Yogi Bear realms in cars to complete the numbering.
I saw an opening card for a Winsome Witch cartoon and she seemed to be referred to as Winsome.

And I too wondered why Winnie had a 13 on her car instead of an 8. Mainly the 13 was supposed to represent a spooky number for her spooky looking Sonic Broom.

Xerus

Reaction score
Ever since Jean's death, Wilma is now being voiced by Tress MacNeille. Tress has voiced Wilma when she was a guest star in episodes of Johnny Bravo and Harvey Birdman and in the Cartoon Network special, Flintstones on the Rocks.