Happy Ten Years Of Muppet Central Everyone!

beaker

Reaction score
It's been a decade since Phil first debuted Muppet Central online(geocities.com/muppetcentral) For a couple years online I had been scouring all over looking for good Muppet sites, and then lo and behold...I came across MC.

This October marks ten years I've been been on the Muppet Central forums and checking up nonstop on the site...which is a bit of a trip to think about.

What made Muppet Central so special and above the rest, despite originally being hosted on Geocities, is that it was regularly updated...as well it had interviews with Muppet writers and performers, and had a lot of great centralized news, articles, etc. Not just a great repository, it brought fans from all over together.

I'll never forget the amazing adventure of meeting a lot of people I had only known by screen name, at Muppetfest in Southern California back in 2001. It was great to be able to geek out with fellow Henson fans, while watching the Muppets perform in person.

I am extremely happy to see Muppet Central still around, and people sticking with the passion...I know cynicism has found its way to me quite a bit. People have this perception that the Muppets are "mainstream", but Muppet fandom is one of the most underground fandoms out there...even more underground and fringe than say, Firefly fans. And that's what makes it so special.

A celebration of all that is Muppets, Sesame, Fraggle, Bear, Creature Shop, HA! Henson, etc.

Ten years ago, on Muppet Central we collectively had a renewed since of hope and vigor as we believed we stood on the cusp of a
new rennassaince...what with Muppets From Space and Elmo In Grouchland coming to theatres in 1999.

Some of us were disappointed with these two films, and many of us were uneasy about German EM.TV's buyout of the Muppets and Sesame. When Sesame was finally owned by Sesame Workshop, it was a good day...and in may 2003 when JHC bought back the Muppets, it was a glorious day. There was a feeling of a letdown when Eisner ended up buying the Muppets from JHC in 2004.

2002-2005 saw the most insane Muppet/Fraggle merchandising era since the 1980's.

But I believe we are on the cusp of what we've all been waiting for post Jim Henson's passing.

With the Muppets and Fraggle Rock building up to explode in the next year, with Sesame going strong as ever, with Dark Crystal coming back and with the HA!(Henson Alternative) brand gaining steam...(if only Bear in the Big Blue House would come back)
there is MUCH to celebrate.

We may not have visibly vocal numbers that Farscape's vocal campaign garnered online, but we are here. And we do not see the Muppets as mere "oh hey, remember that?" retro nostalgia.
The Muppets are a constant since 1955, always evolving and always with us in one form or another.

So let us celebrate Muppet Centrallers.

With the most up to the minute Muppet/Henson/Fraggle/etc
news site on the planet:
http://www.muppetnewsflash.com/

With the most comprehensive Muppet/JHC related research source:
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

And with right here, Muppet Central, the best all around Muppet archive and forum on the net:
We can celebrate our proud heritage of wonder, laughter, vision, and inspiration as we look passionately to the future.

What has the Muppet Central forum experience meant to you?
Found friends, been able to finally see rare shows from tape trades, found love, found encouragement through tough times, found inspiration?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I found that we here at the forum are pretty much a family... one of those extremely quirky families like you'd see on TV, except we're for real.

It's also very wonderful that there's a place I can go to where I know there are several people who share some of the same interests as I do, mostly the muppets, and not be given a hard time for it ("Aw, the muppets are for babies!", "Only babies watch muppets!", "They're just puppets for crying out loud!").

Redsonga

Reaction score
I am just a newbie so I guess I don't count for much but I can say I already feel the love :smile:. I like being in a place where you can be a diehard fan or just a muppet lover and still have equal say on things :smile: