Dark Crystal sequel may be headed to DVD

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's some news on the forthcoming Dark Crystal sequel, while it's still planned for release, it appears the movie may be direct-to-DVD, not a theatrical feature. We can only hope that not to much quality is suffered in the lower budget typically associated with DVD-only releases.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2008/010708.shtml

cabbageheat

Reaction score
ok

well, it almost makes me think. . .why bother?

Sorry to say, but most direct to DVD releases are pretty poor in quality and budget. This doesn't bode well in my opinion. This is not the direction I would want TDC to go in.

But. . .who knows, perhaps, just perhaps, they can pull it off. But, I doubt it, to be honest.

JMPrater

Reaction score
The Death Knell

My hopes for any real quality have now been flushed down the toilet.

Direct to DVD? No theatrical release whatsoever? Crazy! This is not what Jim Henson would have wanted. This move means one thing, or perhaps 3 things.

1. MONEY
2. MONEY
3. MONEY

Mirror Mask is a 'case in point' in the lessons of poor quality and very little production budget. What does it say about the state of the Henson company when they can't get their projects off the ground, sustain funding or find theatrical release for a project of this magnitude?

The Muppets and The Dark Crystal were/are gems of my youth. It's a sad to wake up and realize, the magic is over, their time has passed.

J.M. Prater

JMPrater

Reaction score
Let me add this one point. I'd love to be wrong about this, I'd love to be blown away by the scope and quality of this now direct-to-video sequel. The only way that's going to happen is if they SHOW US SOMETHING.

I would hazard to guess that the real reason we're [the fans] not seeing anything is because, frankly, the quality sucks.

Please, some one, prove me wrong.

J.M. Prater

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Frankly, I would have been very surprised if this came to theaters. I always figured it would go directly to video.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Not me. I was ready for a new real Henson theatrical release, and now I think it'll take some real convincing to get me back on board with this new DC. This is kind of depressing.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
So now it's going to be like a Sci-Fi Channel movie?

This is not what I expected. I am very unhappy with how this has been handled. The Dark Crystal is on my short list of favorite films - practically my favorite film. If this had been planned to be some sort of episodic series or miniseries I would understand, but now I feel this tarnishes one of the best pieces of Jim Henson's legacy. I know it's only business, but the Henson Company has always risen above that sort of cynicism. I will support this project and I am curious. I hope it's good, but I really wanted a theatrical release. I know the first one was a hard enough sell, but it's a different climate now. Let’s hope this doesn't happen to the Fraggles. There's a goldmine with them. Maybe they're finally seeing that and planning to tap into it instead of focusing on Crystal? :sympathy:

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
I hope so. If the Fraggle Rock movie falls through or winds up as just a DVD release, that'll be a huge blow to Henson I would think.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I honestly don't get this. How does a sequel to one of Jim's best films go direct-to-DVD while garbage like Good Boy! and MirrorMask get to go to the big screen? I really thought this would finally be the big release that would have started the Henson renaissance we've been waiting much too long for. But, nope, this is rather depressing news, just like we always get. I guess there goes this movie being 2.35, now it'll probably be the more DVD-friendly 1.66. This really stinks.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
BobThePizzaBoy, I'm a little confused by your numerics. What do you mean by the movie being 2.35 or 1.66?