New Years Resolutions

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What are your resolutions for the new year?

Me - I simply have ONE resolution for the new year.

Now I know it's a paradox, but my resolution for the new year is to NOT make any resolutions for the new year.

"Why?", you ask? Well, it's simple: no one is ever able to keep their resolutions, and for me, whenever I make resolutions, I always break them by January 3. January 4 at the most; so if I don't make any resolutions, I don't have to worry about breaking them, and since my resolution is to not make any resolutions, I can be comforted by the fact that I know that for the first time in my life, I'll be able to keep my resolution for the entire year without breaking it.

So, how about you guys?

Java

Reaction score
If you go to my blog, the most recent post (as of this posting) is my look back over how I did with the resolutions of 2007 (fairly well if I do say so myself) and what I plan as goals for 2008.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Patience

I'm sitting here at nearly 10 pm in Houston and have decided to stay in. My annual gathering came over the weekend. I expected to celebrate tonight when I booked my holiday flights, but things change. I'm glad to be away from the crowded drunken halls. Just wish I'd known so that I could be back in San Francisco with my partner (who is very unhappy with my absence).

I don't really do New Year's Resolutions. I like to take on new goals on a quarterly basis as I have seen that work remarkably well in my life. However, I have decided to exhibit more patience this year so I guess that would be it.

My first quarter goals have to do with getting organized around the apartment, start my next temp gig while following up a recent freelance opportunity.

:smile:

Second quarter projected goals are to refine and furnish my apartment (if indeed I decide to stay after organizing). Also set up better tools to facilitate better ease with my household recycling. I also will reassess my fitness goals as this has become important to me in the past couple years. I became unhappy with just being skinny at best and have seen great results from my current regiment of cardio and lifting. Complacency can set in, so April will be a good time to check-in on that.

:wink:

Third quarter projected goals include seeking avenues to find something more enduring with a little less hustle to it than temping/freelancing. It's also a chance to begin planning more for the future with my partner as that will be a year and a half into the relationship. Making certain we're going in the same direction and that I'm not "living for one" as I'm used to doing.

:excited:

Fourth quarter projected goals include planning the holidays and connecting with both sides of the families. It's also a chance to reassess my fitness again. I hope home, my partner, work, creativity, health and peace of mind are already comfortably in line (at the same time) by the end of 2008.

These goals do get tweaked from time to time, but it's kind of a practical OCD quality that seems to work for me. A way to set achievable goals and deadlines rather than setting an unreachable bar. This way has more built-in encouragement. Anyway, that's mine...so far.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I have at least one, I'm going to get a gf. That's the opposite of the last 2 years where I resolved not to get one because it was an easy one to keep. ALMOST didn't keep it this year but so far it looks like I'm keeping it. I'm also resolving to end my blogs for various reasons I'll only say if I'm asked. I could probably lose about 80 lbs. But other than all those, I really don't have any. Oh, also the same as last year(cause I did such a good job) to quit smoking and drinking(it's inconsiquencial that I haven't started yet)

Daniel

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have at least one, I'm going to get a gf.
Wow... how did I know he was going to say that? HOW did I know? How did I KNOW?

I'm, like, the new Radar O'Reilly or somethin'...

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I have two New Year's resolutions.

The first is simple: to back up my computer at least once a month. Not a big thing to do, but it saves a world of heartache if the computer crashes and the whole thing has to get wiped.

The second is way more difficult: to stay in the Honor's Program at my college. I have GOT to pull my act together for this one, but that's why they're more lenient on first-semester freshmen than any other semester of enrollment. It's a transition.

In other news, my resolution last year lasted about... a week or two. We got a REALLY cold snap, and taking a walk every day just wasn't a good idea anymore.

Wiseman

Reaction score
My new year's resolution is to be the best husband and father I can possibly be.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The first is simple: to back up my computer at least once a month. Not a big thing to do, but it saves a world of heartache if the computer crashes and the whole thing has to get wiped.
Boy, you sure said a mouthful!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I admit I'm usually bad at keeping resolutions. But this year, I'm determined to go to the gym more. That way I won't feel so guilty. :wink:

I would also resolve to clean my room more, but I doubt that's going to happen, lol.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
The point of resolutions isn't whether you break them or not. The point is to try something new and hopefully you will get the satisfaction of coming through on your promise to yourself.

Normally I make resolutions on how I am going to act for the year. I.e. "This year I will try to make new friends and communicate well with other people", or "This year I am going to focus on positive self-esteem", etc. Just like minor attitude adjustments, based on what I was unhappy about from the year before. But I'm not sure what my resolution will be this year.