More Play With Me Sesame DVD's in March

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yaaaaayyyyyy! I already got the first two u.s.-released DVDs, and they are both great. And Guy Smiley appears in Let's Play Games! I wonder if either of these DVDs features Kermit (the "Imagine with Me" DVD could include Kermit's imagination game, or the newsflash segment where Telly and Ingrid imagine on a rainy day, and "Let's Play Games" could include the mystery box segment, or the newsflash where Elmo invents the reporter game, or the newsflash where the Big Bad Wolf creates a new Three Little Pigs story).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Muppet Wiki has a videography for all Play with Me Sesame DVDs, as they'd all been released in other countries first, so I guess somebody here is bound to already have a copy of these. I wonder what is on these. I read in another thread that the american releases are the same as in other countries, with the exception of the language.

I have noticed some things about the first two american releases. I've noticed that neither includes any segments from earlier than 1980, neither includes any alphabet segments (though that could be because they were released outside the united states first), and neither includes any animated or non-Muppet film segments. Also excluded from both releases are celebrity clips and clips with the human cast. I don't know if all of this is intentional or just a coincidence that the first two that were released here are like that. I wonder if anybody with all of the reelases could confirm whether any of the releases include anything that I mentioned being excluded on these releases. The lack of celebrities could be due to them not being as popular in austrailia.

The descriptions do give me some clues as to what's included. The description for Let's Play Games mentions that The Coutn tries to win a big prize. I figure that's either Squeal of Fortune or Beat the Time. I can't think of any other Sesame Street skit that it could be, and I'd be surprised if The Count (or any of Jerry Nelson's characters) has ever appeared in any footage created for Play with me Sesame. The description also mentions that Name That Sound is included.

The description for Imagine with Me mentions Grover pretending to be on the moon (which was released in Bedtime Stories and Songs, but not included when it was rereleased as Sleepytime Songs and Stories), and also mentions Bert helping Ernie scare away the monsters under his bed. This sounds like Imagination, though that doesn't really involve Bert trying to scare the monsters away. I would be surprised if this reelase doesn't include Imagination, Imagine That, and/ or In Your Imagination.

Of course, Playtime with Grover and Goodnight Sesame do have segments that don't have much to do with the titles. While Grover is in every sketch in Playtime with Grover, not every segment invovles playtime (many involve him working). Goodnight Sesame includes a few skits that aren't about nighttime. Some are just lullabys, and some involve naptime (which would be during the day). So maybe these releases include some skits that don't follow the titles 100 percent.

I wonder what will be on the CD roms. The two US releases have themed sections featuring video clips and games. Some games appear on both CD roms. I beleive that all of the games came from Sesame Workshop's official website, but the video clips had the "sesame street.com" logo. The Sesame Street video player section wasn't available at the time of those releases, but did the website have clips anyway?

Some good ideas for what kinds of sections should be included:
  • Shapes
  • Colors
  • Songs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
christmas came early for me!

Although these releases are due for release on the 11th, I already found copies of them for sale at my local Best Buy. I've already watched Let's Play Games, and have glanced at the bonus CD-roms, to see what clips are included. Not many segments that I'm fmailair with, mostly films or animations.

But Let's Play Games has a lot of great segmnets, including three Guy Smiley sketches: Beat the Time (with The Count), Name That Sound (with a honker... I thought the one with Grover was the only "Name That Sound" segment), and What's My Job.

Other segments on the disc include Ernie wearing socks on body parts and asking Bert what body parts he's thinking of, the "clap, clap, clap" number from episode 536 (with Grover superimposed), The Honker-Duckie-Dinger Jambouree (again, with Grover superimposed), Cookie Monster's blindfold game, Cookie Monster playing a shell game at a carnival (I've never heard of this sketch), Grover having to demonstrate surprise in 30 seconds (this was also included in Playtime with Grover), Humphrey, Ingrid, and Natasha demonstrating "between", Ernie and Grover's "opposites" song, and more.

Oddly enough, Elmo doensn't appear at all in this release (except for the cd-rom).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just watched Imagine with Me, and it's also a good release, though not as good as Let's Play Games. I correctly predicted five of the sketches that are included. Those sketches are In Your Imagination, Imagine That, the 1990s remake of Imagination, the remake of the banana phone sketch, and Humphrey imagining what Natasha will grow up to be.

I posted sketch listings for both releases on Muppet Wiki. I didn't post CD-Rom contents yet.

After watching the first two region 1 releases I wondered if the Play with Me Sesame DVDs avoided 1970s sketches, but a handful of them apear in Let's Play Games. The Guy Smiley sketches in Let's Play Games are all edited to remove the title cards. Name That Sound should be a treat for adult fans, as that includes cameos by Gladys, Buster, and Forgetful Jones.

Sadly, Kermit does not appear in either of these releases (despite him being mentioend in a copyright credit at the end). His mystery box game or interview with Elmo on inventing new games could have been included in Let's Play Games (the last one especialy, considerign that Elmo doens't appear in it). Kermit's imagination game could have been included in Imagine with Me.

I give both of these releases two stars.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I have never seen this series :smile:. I may have to just to see the cute little baby Big Bird :big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have never seen this series :smile:. I may have to just to see the cute little baby Big Bird :big_grin:
Are you mistaking Play with Me Sesame for Sesame Beginnings? Because I don't recall saying anything about a baby version of Big Bird being in either release.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
These Play with Me Sesame DVDs are like a gold mine. They feature a lot of great skits that I either haven't seen or haven't even heard of. And while I don't care much for Zoe, her segments in these releases are really great. Sad the the best Zoe moments aren't shown on Sesame Street very much.

But at the same time, they seem to have a bit of repitition. I guess it's not any different from any other Sesame Street DVD release having repeats from other releases, and Play with Me Sesame has a lot less material than Sesame Street, so I guess it's okay for the same Play With Me Sesame segments to be shown on other releases. But it seems like a lot of Sesame Street segments appear on different Play With Me Sesame releases. Does anybody know if these DVDs only have Sesame Street segments that were shown in episodes of Play With Me Sesame?

The skit where Grover has 30 secodns to demonstrate "surprise" is on both Playtime with Grover and Let's Play Games. Reading DVD descriptions at Mupet Wiki's "Play With Me Sesame Videography (found at www.muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Play_With_Me_Sesame_Videography), it seems like quite a few of the segments on what's been released in america have been included in other releases (which I'm sure will be released in america soon... I'd be surprised if we didn't at least get two more later this year). It seems like The Honker-Duckie-Dinger-Jambouree is in Playtime with Ernie (though that coulod just be that sketch, without Grover playing along with the clip), as well as Let's Play Games. Let's Play Games includes Prairie and Cookie's blindfold game, and that's mentioned to be in Playtime with Prairie Dawn. Goodnight Sesame includes Bert's Blanket, and it seems like that is in Playtime with Bert (the description only references the "blanket song", but what other song could it be?).

Still, I can't wait until the next ones are released.

Interestingly, in Let's Play Games, when the clapping song is shown, Grover refers to Prairie Dawn as "a little girl", as if he doens't recognize her as Prairie. Weird, considering that they are both main characters on the series. Maybe he was making up for the fact that Prairie Danw was voiced by Jerry Nelson in that song.

jonnytbird

Reaction score
Name That Sound with Homer honker

Hey minor muppetz. I just got the "Let's Play Games DVD" from my local Best Buy. I only bought it because of the rare Name That Sound skit. It's really great to discover something new and rare. Especially for those other adult fans. But I think it would have been better if they included the title sequence. Maybe they'll have the unedited version up on Sesame Sorkshop's video player webiste or release it on the next Old School Vol. 3 DVD boxset. But thanks for telling me about it.

Yours truly:attitude:
Jonny T-Bird