The "Super Bug"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I thought this would make for an interesting topic here, so long as it doesn't get too out of hand...

So anyway, been hearing a lot about that "super bug" MRSA lately? Has any cases been reported where you live? Know anyone who has been affected, or even died from the super bug?

I don't know, but I know my mom isn't taking any chances, as she's been washing her hands after every single time she handles a doorknob, or after simply being in public, and has been making me do the same.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've heard about it, pretty scary. I hope they get it under control.

Java

Reaction score
As someone who's been in health care a little while, can I just say that I don't know why the media is just now making a story of it as it has been in the general public for a long time. Long enough that many places can tell you if you are diagnosed with it whether it is the strain from the hospital or the strain from the community.

Yes, it is something to be concerned with but it isn't as scary as they make it out to be for 90% of the general public.

And yes, it is world wide.

Just follow your usual common sense had washing rules and if you get sick take all of your antibiotics - meaning take all prescribed don't quit when you feel better as that is part of the problem.

And remember colds and the flu are viruses, antibiotics aren't going to help there... you don't have to have medicine that is prescriped for everything.

But when in doubt, see your doctor.

Okay, I think I've said enough.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That is true, only a few people have been affected. So it's good to be cautious but not paranoid. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And remember colds and the flu are viruses, antibiotics aren't going to help there...
Then why do doctors prescribe people antibiotics for those then? To make more money? To fool with people's minds?

Pork

Reaction score
Quite often when you get a virus you use all your antibodies to fight the virus leaving more room for infection. So often when you get a virus you get an ear infection, throat infection or chest infection. That's why doctors prescribe antibiotics.

Java

Reaction score
Then why do doctors prescribe people antibiotics for those then? To make more money? To fool with people's minds?
Sometimes to cover other infections if you have a weak immune system, sometimes because people today feel that they have to have a pill to get better and insist that they get a prescription for something.

And there are a few anit-virals out there but the ones I'm most familiar with are for diseases I'm to polite to talk about on this board.

If you are prescribed something and start taking it antibiotic wise, finish it to try to prevent the "bug" from becoming resistant to it.