Gorgon Heap Appearances on The Muppet Show

P

Philip Kippel

Which specific episodes of "The Muppet Show" did Gorgon Heap appear in? Which sketches was he in, what did he do and who performed him?

Thanks again everyone. Bye for now.

Ryan

Reaction score
Joel Grey:
Comedy Tonight ("Something appealing, something appauling. Something for everyone at comedy tonight!")
Sherlock Holmes Sketch (Named Fielding the Butler) (accused of murder. Eat all evidence, including Miss Piggy, gun, and Baskerville the Hound)

Vincent Price:
Talk Spot (Eats the gourmet chef)
Wayne and Wanda : "Some Enchanted Evening" (you may EAT a stranger. Of course, he eats Wayne)

Rich Little:
"Glow Worm" (Eats Lenny the Lizard)

These are the only ones I can think of off hand.He was usually performed by Frank Oz, and was rarely used after season.
He got his name from the Vincent Price Talk Spot. Also, he performed the Glow Worm sketch in the 60's for TV appearances, as well (the one where Kermit/Lenny Lizard eats his nose (it's mistaken for a worm)) Very :cool: sketch.

Splurge

Reaction score
In the Don Knotts episode, Gorgon is a chorus girl sharing a dressing room with the guest star, who is not pleased.

Scooter: Didn't they tell you about her?

Don Knotts: HER????

Gorgon Heap: (Very deep Jerry Nelson voice) What'sa matter sweety? You don't like chorus girls?

--------------------------------------
That could have been a partial inspiration for Susan in "Greg the Bunny", I don't know.

Splurge

Reaction score
I originally thought the monster's name was Gorgon Heath, like the former PM of Britain and candy bar. Maybe it was the way Vincent introduced him.

P

Philip Kippel

Where's a complete listing of Gorgon Heap's "Muppet Show" appearances? I'm waiting...

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Full list, TMS appearances

#3 Joel Grey:
"Comedy Tonight"- sang line "Something appealing, something appalling, something for everyone a comedy tonight!" and is then clubbed unconscious by Beautiful Day monster.
"Sherlock Holmes sketch"- called Fielding the butler- accused of murder, eats the evidence- a glass, a photograph, the gun, Piggy (as the maid), and Baskerville the Hound (as Watson).

In the Joel Grey episode, Gorgon Heap has ears instead of horns (the look like cinnamon buns) and is performed throughout by Frank Oz.

#16 Avery Schreiber:
Wayne & Wanda, "Some Enchanted Evening"- he mishears "You may meet a stranger" as "You may EAT a stranger" and eats Wayne. I always wondered why he wouldn't eat Wanda as well- maybe she wasn't a stranger, though she and Wayne were so inseparable on the show that I doubt it. Plus she's one of the cultural, highbrow acts so it's unlikely she'd be seen consorting with monsters. On top of that she also seems pretty innocent and helpless, so if she knew Gorgon Heap it would've only been briefly (before she would wind up in his stomach).

Gorgon had horns and was performed by Richard Hunt.

#19 Vincent Price:
"Panel"- it is here that he gets his name, Gorgon Heap (I also originally thought it was Heath). He eats the gourmet chef, Pierre LaCousse (performed by Jerry Nelson) and then tries to eat Kermit.

Performed by Dave Goelz, I believe.

#25 Don Knotts:
Cold opening-
Scooter: "Don Knotts! Don Knotts! 25 seconds to curtain Mr. Knotts! What're you doing hiding here behind the table?"
Don Knotts: "Listen, nobody told me I had to share a dresing room!"
Scooter: "Oh, didn't they tell you about her?"
Don Knotts: "Her?!"
Gorgon Heap (wearing chorus girl headdress): "What'sa matter, sweetie? Ya don't like chorus girls?"

No horns, performed by Jerry Nelson.

#28 Rich Little:
"Inchworm sketch"- Lenny the Lizard eats the same worm twice, then tries to eat it a third time, but it is much longer. He pulls on it until he realized that it is not a worm, but the nose of a large monster, who eats him.

Horns and new nose, performed by Frank Oz.

"Rich is interviewed by the reporters"- brief appearance here, he has no horns or lines. He appears as one of a group of monsters at the end of this bit.

#66 Leslie Uggams:
"Hey There, Good Times"- opening number with Leslie and the Monsters. Gorgon Heap (no horns or lines) plays the drums.

Unless Gorgon appeared in the Bruce Forsyth episode (the only one I don't have) that list is complete.

Don't know if the character ever appeared in anything else besides TMS. Joggy might know that, try asking him.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

P

Philip Kippel

Gorgon Heap DID make a couple of non-TMS appearances.

Gorgon can be spotted in the background in the audience in the wrestling match scenes in "Sex and Violence".

He can also be spotted among the crowd of Muppets in the finale of "The Muppet Movie".

It seems to me that Gorgon Heap went into mothballs after 1979.