Puppeteer Exercises

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I recently found a simple exercise a puppeteer can use prior to performing. It helps to keep your hands loose, strong, and your less likely to have a great amount of pain while performing. It's an actual technique recomended for people with arthritis:

• Make a fist.
    • Rotate wrist counterclockwise 15 times.
    • Rotate wrist clockwise 15 times.
    • Make a fist.
    • Open hand, stretch fingers as far as possible and hold for 5-10 seconds.
    • Repeat.

That's it! It helps out a great deal, I think. I don't recall how many times your supposed to repeat the second suggestion (10, I believe). I'll find out.

What are some techniques you use?

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
when i first started my mentor told me to hold my arm up holding a wieght like a chef boy r dee can or a something somewhat heavy

Teenager's

Reaction score
when i first started my mentor told me to hold my arm up holding a wieght like a chef boy r dee can or a something somewhat heavy
You know.....I've never thought that method really worked...because when you just hold a weight above your head the blood drains from your arm as opposed to when puppeteering and you're moving your arm around and being active and thus getting blood flow and creating more of a muscle. I mean its easy to just hold a weight above your head with your arm locked, the object actually gets lighter. It's that whole "the higher you go the lighter it is" thing. Why do you think women in poorer countries carry the water buckets on their heads?......because it feels lighter. (also its less awkward....but thats something else)

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Maybe if you were holding a stress ball. Some of those can be fairly heavy, and you could get your hand moving.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hmmm...I think Chase makes a good point about developing static vs. moving strength (those aren't real terms, I just made them up). I think muscle endurance and flexibility is more important than strength.

I love those exercises Super Scooter, thanks!

RockerRob

Reaction score
Good exercises. My wrist cracked a bunch when I did the first one, but it got the kinks out. I have a tight grip, and I draw for a living, and this will help for that too. Multitasking excercises are great!

As for the weight issue, I suggest practice (Like they say on It's Curtoon Time, "Practice, practice, practice."). Walk around your house with the puppet on your hand up in the air talking to it or singing along with songs. Yes, you'll look like a total idiot if someone sees you in your living room, but reppitition is the best way to improve your skills, and it this way it will work out the exact muscules you need. A healthy does of push-ups couldn't hurt either.

wickedpuppets

Reaction score
Here's one I do anytime I am alone (and sometimes in front of people lol)

It's very simple and helps me out pretty well :smile:

I use my hand as if it was INSIDE a puppet and anytime i'm talking, or listening to music or TV, I mime out all the words with my hand.

I try to do it at least 1-2 hours per day.

-Loki-

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
In Kevin Clash's book, he mentioned an exercise he used to do as a child, kind of similar to the one wickedpuppets just suggested. You set up a mirror beside your television, and then while you're normally watch TV, you hold a puppet up to the mirror and try to copy each character's facial expressions. And doing this builds up the ease in the movement and shifts of your hand as it transitions from expression to expression.

RockerRob

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a good idea for manipulation exercises. Personally, I refined my subtle expressions and just fine tuned all my mouth manipulation by having my favorite puppet at the time sing to Doors records when I was in Jr. High (no, I am not that old. This was in the CD age). I did that for a few months I think. It was just a really fun thing for me to do.

What do you pros do for strength training excercises?