Sesame TV Episode Fun Packs

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sesame Workshop will begin releasing complete episodes from recent seasons on DVD this spring. They say these are the more popular episodes.

While it's great that complete episodes are being released, there are several things I find interesting:
  1. Notice there is only one episode per disc when two episodes could easily fit on a single-layer DVD. I'm guessing this is due to there also being 30-40 minutes worth of previews for other Sesame titles. More discs also have more perceived value in the eyes of some.
  2. Most of these episodes star Elmo and have very little Big Bird.
  3. Notice that the first pack has two discs and the second has three. It's a little odd that they are both different. Maybe SW is looking to see which sells better and will produce that version with future releases.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Three of the discs are already available as Walmart exclusives, on their own: The Letter of the Month Club, The Furry Red Monster Parade, and Elmo and Zoe's Scientiffic Exploration. They have been availoable at Walmart since at least October 24, 2006 (I found them when I was looking for Old School Vol. 1, unaware of these). It's weird that two of those DVDs are going to be available as a two-disc set. I think all three of those should be in the three disc set, and volume 2 should have been the two-disc set.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
Hmm, not sure what to think about this. It's great they're releasing more full uncut episodes, but I don't like the one episodes a disk, or so many Elmo episodes. I was also really hoping the Gina adoption episodes would be on here when l read the title of the thread, but as usual, Elmo takes precedence.

Even with so much Elmo, I think we should all buy the sets. It's important to let SW know we want full episodes released. They don't cost much money, and the episode selection isn't half bad. (I loved "The Letter of The Month Club", and "Abby Cadabby Moves to Sesame Street" is a good one too.)

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Thats kind of crazy that pretty much all the eps on the discs feature a majority of Elmo. Don't get me wrong, Elmo is a great character, but if you overuse him it gets old.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, how many upcomming Sesame Street DVDs have officially been announced for this year? I only know of these two fun packs and an Elmo's World DVD. I guess there'll probably be one or two Sesame Beginnings DVDs, and hopefully Old School Vol. 2 (but we don't know of that yet). I would like for soem old video releases to be available on DVD (there weren't any new DVD releases of past video releases last year).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
[*]Notice there is only one episode per disc when two episodes could easily fit on a single-layer DVD. I'm guessing this is due to there also being 30-40 minutes worth of previews for other Sesame titles.
That sounds ridiculous. I don't think any Sesame Street DVDs have had 30-40 minutes worth of previews.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
While it's great that complete episodes are being released, there are several things I find interesting:
  1. Notice there is only one episode per disc when two episodes could easily fit on a single-layer DVD. I'm guessing this is due to there also being 30-40 minutes worth of previews for other Sesame titles. More discs also have more perceived value in the eyes of some.
I am guessing they are shorter because that's how they usually market their children's DVD's. It must have to do with their attention spans, or concerns that they'll be watching too much television or something. I mean, they do have half hour videos they released in DVD format without adding bonus skits or combining 2 or 3 videos on one disk. SO this may be the same case.

AS for the episodes.... I'd only get letter of the Day club, myself... that is if I intended on buying any. I don't really see a point in these, but they think they'll sell.