Hans Conried

Xerus

Reaction score
XERUS'S VOICE ARTIST FOCUS

This week's V/A focus is the late Hans Conried who passed away in 1982. Hans performed in lots of classic movies and was famous for voicing Captain Hook in Disney's Peter Pan as well as Snidely Whiplash from Dudley Do-Right. He had such an unusal voice.

THE ALPHABET CONSPIRACY: The Mad Hatter
BEN AND ME: Thomas Jefferson, Thief
THE CRICKET ON THE HEARTH: Tackleton
DR. SEUSS'S HALLOWEEN IS GRINCH NIGHT: The Grinch
DR. SEUSS'S HORTON HEARS A WHO: Horton, Doctor Hoovey, Narrator
DR. SEUSS ON THE LOOSE: The Zax, Narrator
DRAK PACK: Dr. Dread
DUDLEY DO-RIGHT: Snidely Whiplash
FABLES AND LEGENDS: Narrator
FAERIES: Faerie King, Shadow
THE HOBBIT: Thorin
HOPPITY HOOPER: Waldo Wigglesworth
THE INCREDIBLE BOOK ESCAPE: Professor Mickimecki
MISS SWITCH TO THE RESCUE: Mordo
MR. MAGOO'S 1001 ARABIAN KNIGHTS: The Wicked Wazir
PETER PAN: Captain Hook, Mr. Darling
THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH: Azaz, Mathemagician
QUISP AND QUAKE: Simon LeGreedy
SCRUFFY: Joe Tibbles
SPIDER MAN & HIS AMAZING FRIENDS: The Chameleon
TOM AND JERRY, JOHAN MOUSE: Narrator
THE WOODY WOODPECKER SHOW: Wally Walrus(first voice)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow Xerus, you're V/A focuses have been becoming a little few and far between! Hans Conried was awesome; do you think you should've added the Snidley Whiplash to Rocky and Bullwinkle as well?

Xerus

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Wow Xerus, you're V/A focuses have been becoming a little few and far between! Hans Conried was awesome; do you think you should've added the Snidley Whiplash to Rocky and Bullwinkle as well?
I try to do my V/A focuses every Sunday or Monday. Did you catch the Terri Hawkes focus I did last week?

Snidely Whiplash wasn't really on the Rocky and Bullwinkle series. He was on Dudley Do-Right.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Never heard of Terri Hawkes.:embarrassed:

But remember, Dudley Do-Right was a part of Rocky and Bullwinkle for a while.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I remember Hans Conreid doing a funny scene on an episode of "I Love Lucy." He bought furniture from the Ricardos and then sold it back to them at a huge profit for himself. He tried to gouge them even more, but stopped short of that because he said of Ricky, "I like the way you sing babaloo!"

From the looks of this list it sounds like he also had quite a variety of voice sounds he could do. Wasn't the T&J Johann Mouse one where he said, "A cat that could play? And a mouse that could waltz? Good heavens!" :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That was Hans Conried?! I know he was on I Love Lucy before but I didn't know that was him in that particular episode; wasn't he like an English tutor for the Ricky in another episode?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes that's right, he was the English tutor (had a goofy song he did, "When I tippy tippy toe through the tulips..." that he wanted to perform at Ricky's club). I'd forgotten about that one. From what I remember his character looked a little on the nerdy side in this one. It was also in 1952 like his other Lucy appearance. Guess he was also versatile in acting roles as well as voices!

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Hans Conried was an awesome VA. He really breathed life into Thorin in The Hobbit.

-Kim

Tim

Reaction score
Being a character actor, he was in thousands of films, plays, radio and tv shows (Yes, both of those "Lucy"s), but perhaps best know on TV as "Uncle Tanoose" on "Make Room For Daddy". And how many times did he play "The Magic Mirror" for Disney, starting with their very first-ever TV show "One Hour in Wonderland" (Available currently on the "Alice" DVD), as well as Disney's "Cat From Outer Space". He also did a GREAT turn on The Stan Freeberg Show as the Announcer on the "Lox Radio Theater" (CD set if you can still find it.)

There is a spectacular biography out on him, but it might be kind of hard to find since it is such limited number-maybe Amazon still has it.

I got to meet him and get an autograph shortly before he died-he was wonderful.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Cool, I always thought Captain Hook had such a gripping voice too.