"The Choice"--A Fraggle Rock FanFic

Convincing John

Reaction score
As my 500th post here, I have decided to post the beginning of a Fraggle Rock story I wrote. I have decided to dedicate this story to all the Muppet performers…with special nods to Karen Prell, Terry Angus and Frank Oz.

This story was also inspired by one of my favorite albums, “Aqualung” by Jethro Tull.

This particular Fraggle Rock story takes place about four or five episodes before the series finale.

“The Choice”

Introduction

The Storyteller’s eyes widened as she raised her glasses. This was the third pen she broke in writing with such vigor. Ink was splattering everywhere, dribbling down her nose, staining her sleeves and even a drop or two were clinging to her excitedly wagging tail. With a flourish, she stabbed the final period onto the last sentence and tossed her pen down on the rocky table in front of her.

“There!” she exclaimed. “It’s finished! What a story! What a STORY!”

“And don’t forget, it’s a true one, ay?” Gobo stood a good distance away from her, succeeding (mostly) from being showered with speckles of ink. He had been dictating to her for days now. The latest adventure he had just finished was nothing short of incredible. Truly nothing like it had ever been experienced either in or out of Fraggle Rock.

Next to the Storyteller lay heaps of notes she had taken as Gobo gave her the straight facts. She had been putting them together in the form of a story…a story that would be remembered for generations to come.

“It’s…done?” Gobo asked. He paused, watching as the Storyteller’s eyes skimmed over the last few sentences, checking her spelling.

“Yes, Gobo…” she paused to sigh. “A heroic tale worthy to be placed alongside those of your brave, handsome and charming Uncle Matt.” She sighed again as she glanced up at the framed picture of him on the wall.

“Terrific!” Gobo exclaimed. “Who’s going to hear it first?”

The Storyteller thought for a moment, then at last came to a conclusion. “Since your Uncle Matt has risked his very life to explore Outer Space, I find it fitting that I should also communicate with the Silly Creatures in my own way.”

“Huh?” asked Gobo. “How?”

“Oh, I have my ways. Now you just run along and play. I have to clean up.”

Shrugging, Gobo left the Storyteller’s cluttered cave. As he left, the Storyteller turned to the beginning of the book, and directly addressed us…all of us…all of us Silly Creatures.

“Okay, Silly Creatures…listen up and read carefully. This Fraggle tale is especially for you.”

More to be posted soon.

Convincing John

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Good start... Awaiting more... Another great FR fanfic to tide us over till Beth updates/finishes her own.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Count Good start... Awaiting more... Another great FR fanfic to tide us over till Beth updates/finishes her own.
Indeed. I think one of these days I'll just have to chain myself to my computer to finish mine, maybe tomorrow before the 4th of July party I'm going to. Anyway, Convincing John, this is a great start, I can't wait to read what you've got in store for us.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Wow, this is such an exciting beginning! This is a frame narative, am I right? In that case, I wonder what the story is really about? I can't wait to find out!

zeldazipple

Reaction score
Awsome start... I can't waite to readmore. Keep it up.

Java

Reaction score
Good begining. I am interested in more when you have it.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Fragglemuppet said:
This is a frame narative, am I right? In that case, I wonder what the story is really about? I can't wait to find out!
Yeah, it kinda is. I actually have a good chunk of the story handwritten, and I need to type it. Since the Storyteller is telling the story to us, we can imagine her narrating it to us with the character voices inserted. Think of it as an audiobook narrated by the Storyteller with the other characters helping out.

Convincing John

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool... That's how I do most of my reading anyway. So... Post more story... Please?

Morgan Clueless

Reaction score
Pretty awesome so far, CJ (I hope you don't mind if I call you that :embarrassed:)! I hope to see more of it soon. :wink:

- Morgan "Clueless" Goat