Daws Butler

Xerus

Reaction score
XERUS'S VOICE ARTIST FOCUS:

This week's VA focus is a voiceman that's just as famous as Mel Blanc. He's the late Daws Butler (1916-1988). Daws did a lot of voices for classic theater cartoons like Woody Woodpecker, Chilly Willy, and stuff for MGM. When Hanna-Barbera studios first opened, Daws was one of the very first voice artists hired to work in that studio along side Don Messick. Daws has voiced such unforgettable, enjoyable characters like Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, Quick-Draw McGraw, Snagglepuss, and a lot more. In Yogi spin-off shows like Yogi's Gang, Laff-A-Lympics, Yogi's Space Race, Galaxy Goof-Ups, Yogi's Treasure Hunt, and the early movies and TV specials, Daws ending up voicing more than half of the original HB characters in those cartoons. That sure was a lot of work for the talented guy. Which is why I consider him one of the greats from Hanna-Barbera. :smile:

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOODNIK: Scrounger, Richard
THE ALL NEW POPEYE HOUR: Wimpy
AUGIE DOGGIE & DOGGIE DADDY: Augie Doggie
THE BANANA SPLITS: Bingo
CAP'N CRUNCH COMMERCIALS: Cap'n Crunch(first voice),Alfie
THE CAT IN THE HAT: Carlos K. Krinklebein
CHILLY WILLY: Chilly Willy, Smedley
C.B. BEARS: Hustle, Stick, Dupe
DINK THE LITTLE DINOSAUR: Tiny
THE DOGFATHER: Pug, Louie
HELP! IT'S THE HAIR BEAR BUNCH!: Hair Bear
HOKEY WOLF: Hokey Wolf
THE HOUNDCATS: Stutz
HUCKLEBERRY HOUND: Huckleberry Hound
IT'S THE WOLF!: Lambsey
THE JETSONS: Elroy Jetson, Henry Orbit, Mr. Cogswell
LAFF-A-LYMPICS: Yogi, Huckleberry Hound, Quick-Draw McGraw, Snagglepuss, Snooper, Blabber, Mr. Jinks, Dixie, Hokey Wolf, Augie Doggie, Wally Gator, Scooby Dum, Dirty Dalton
LIPPY LION & HARDY HAR-HAR: Lippy Lion
LOOPY De LOOP: Loopy De Loop
PETER POTAMUS: Peter Potamus
THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH: The Whetherman, The Senses Taker, The Terrible Trivium, The Gelatinous Giant
THE PHUNKY PHANTOM: Mudsy
PIXIE & DIXIE & MR. JINKS: Dixie, Mr. Jinks
QUICK-DRAW McGRAW: Quick-Draw McGraw, Baba Looey
QUISP COMMERCIALS: Quisp
RAGGEDY ANN & ANDY(TV SPECIALS): Raggedy Andy
ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE: Aesop's son, additional voices
THE ROMAN HOLIDAYS: Brutus
THE RUFF AND REDDY SHOW: Reddy
SCOOBY DOO: Scooby Dum
SNAGGLEPUSS: Snagglepuss
SNOOPER & BLABBER: Snooper, Blabber
THE SPACE KIDETTS: Captain Skyhook, Static
SUPER PRESIDENT: Richard Vance
THE SUPER SIX: Magnet Man, Wight(first voice)
TIME FOR BEANY: Beany, Captain Huffenpuff
WACKY RACES: Peter Perfect, Rufus Roughcut, Sarge, Slag Brother, Big Gruesome, Red Max
WALLY GATOR: Wally Gator
THE WOODY WOODPECKER SHOW: Featured voices
YAKKY DOODLE: Fibber Fox
YIPPIE, YAPPIE, YAHOOEY: Yahooey
YOGI BEAR(ORIGINAL SERIES, SPECIALS, SPIN-OFFS, AND MOVIES UNTIL 1988): Yogi Bear

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Daws was truly great, no doubt. It saddens me to think that June Foray, the queen goddess of female voice over artists, is the last member of that pioneering fraternity of talent.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I love Rocky and Bullwinkle, and his voices on that show are all so funny.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Don't they go back to some of the early days of radio?
Mel Blanc and Paul Frees both got their starts in radio for sure, and I'd bet most of those others did, too. Stan Freeberg still works in radio. Come to think of it, I regret I neglected to mention him earlier. Thankfully, both he AND June Foray hold the keys to the kingdom of pioneering voice artists.

Xerus

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
I love Rocky and Bullwinkle, and his voices on that show are all so funny.
I agree. :smile: And have you noticed in the Fractured Fairy Tales, most of the kings on there sound like Cap'n Crunch?

Xerus

Reaction score
lowercasegods said:
Mel Blanc and Paul Frees both got their starts in radio for sure, and I'd bet most of those others did, too. Stan Freeberg still works in radio. Come to think of it, I regret I neglected to mention him earlier. Thankfully, both he AND June Foray hold the keys to the kingdom of pioneering voice artists.
Yes, June Foray and Stan Freberg are still around. Along with long time voice artists John Stephenson(Mr. Slate), Allan Melvin(Magilla Gorilla), and Janet Waldo(Judy Jetson).