Brian Henson update on JHC's theatrical sequels

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian Henson gave an update on the status of "The Power of the Dark Crystal" and the Fraggle Rock theatrical film to Now Playing Magazine. He also hinted that a resurrection of the Labyrinth franchise may be down the line as well.

Check out the interview and let us know what you think...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2006/050306.shtml

cabbageheat

Reaction score
hmm

well, not too much new there, but it is odd. it seems like a lot of these projects are about 20 years too late. the audience for these films and t.v. series have all grown up.

not that today's kids wouldn't be inspired by it. but it just, in some sort of strange way, seens odd to see sequels to films 20+ years old. it might or might not work, there are always skeptics and on the flip side believers, but it just feels a bit on the late side to start coming up with these ideas.

oh well, time will now tell.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Labyrinth Buzz

I don't want this to get blown out of proportion and be interpreted as Henson's definite Labyrinth plan and/or even imply that his is what Brian was talking about in this article, but... awhile back I got several e-mails from people who saw Cheryl Henson back at book signings for "Its Not Easy Being Green and Other Things to Consider" (back in November/December 2005). They told me a lot about things Cheryl said, and one thing that Cheryl mentioned (in passing) was that the Henson Company was kicking around the idea for a Labyrinth stage show (like a Broadway-type show). She mentioned that David Bowie was contacted for some very early discussions about possibly formulating such a project. It is just an idea they were (are?) toying with, and there are no definitive plans or agreements yet. This could end up happening in the next 5 years or it could never happen. I've been bugging the folks at Henson for a while about this to see if I could get more out of them, but they are all "unable to comment at this time" on the issue. This could be what Brain is talking about, or maybe they have something completely different planned for the franchise instead. We'll have to wait and see. Still great to hear that "something" is under consideration.

quixotic

Reaction score
"Still great to hear that "something" is under consideration."

Yay! this has made me go all tingly! I wonder what they have up their sleeves? To be honest it really could be absolutely anything and I would still jump for joy.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
A sequel to Labyrinth too

This looks interesting. A Fraggle Rock Movie, a sequel to The Dark Crystal and a sequel to Labyrinth. Considering that it's been over 20 years since the first ones came out in all these cases it would have to draw a whole new audience, as well as the old ones who can remember it. Maybe what they should do is a theatrical re-release of Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal about a week before the release the sequels to get the youngsters up to date. Maybe with special editions like George Lucas did on the first three Star Wars movies.

quixotic

Reaction score
abiraniriba said:
Maybe what they should do is a theatrical re-release of Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal about a week before the release the sequels to get the youngsters up to date. Maybe with special editions like George Lucas did on the first three Star Wars movies.
Just thinking about Labyrinth on the big screen makes my eyes pop out! :excited: If only! But sadly I don't think this would happen.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
No Labyrinth Sequel

abiraniriba said:
This looks interesting. A Fraggle Rock Movie, a sequel to The Dark Crystal and a sequel to Labyrinth...
From the article: "But Henson’s not thinking of an outright sequel for that world. 'Actually, we’re talking about doing something different with Labyrinth but I can’t really talk about it. So we’re not really working on a sequel for Labyrinth right now, but Dark Crystal we are.'"

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
I don't want this to get blown out of proportion and be interpreted as Henson's definite Labyrinth plan and/or even imply that his is what Brian was talking about in this article, but... awhile back I got several e-mails from people who saw Cheryl Henson back at book signings for "Its Not Easy Being Green and Other Things to Consider" (back in November/December 2005). They told me a lot about things Cheryl said, and one thing that Cheryl mentioned (in passing) was that the Henson Company was kicking around the idea for a Labyrinth stage show (like a Broadway-type show). She mentioned that David Bowie was contacted for some very early discussions about possibly formulating such a project. It is just an idea they were (are?) toying with, and there are no definitive plans or agreements yet. This could end up happening in the next 5 years or it could never happen. I've been bugging the folks at Henson for a while about this to see if I could get more out of them, but they are all "unable to comment at this time" on the issue. This could be what Brain is talking about, or maybe they have something completely different planned for the franchise instead. We'll have to wait and see. Still great to hear that "something" is under consideration.

That's something I've dreamed of for years. It would be really cool to see.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
abiraniriba said:
This looks interesting. A Fraggle Rock Movie, a sequel to The Dark Crystal and a sequel to Labyrinth. Considering that it's been over 20 years since the first ones came out in all these cases it would have to draw a whole new audience, as well as the old ones who can remember it. Maybe what they should do is a theatrical re-release of Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal about a week before the release the sequels to get the youngsters up to date. Maybe with special editions like George Lucas did on the first three Star Wars movies.
Even if it wasn't matinee price, I'd be out the door and on my way to the theater to see that!:smile: :crazy: :crazy: