Harvey Korman irony

Tim

Reaction score
Eren ozker told me the greatest story about when Harvey Korman. When Henson was begging people to do The Muppet Show first season, they made the call to him. He absolutely DID NOT want to do "a puppet show", especially if it meant going all the way to England, and he only agreed to do it when he got a film in Europe. The film falls through, and he has no other offers. He was worried about his career (and drinking pretty good at the time) but was stuck to doing the show. He agrees with the provision that "they don't make me do anything stupid like dress up in a chicken suit". Henson thinks he's kidding and build the suit. Now he's really upset, but he does the show anyway. He was professional the whole time, but he absolutely HATED being there (watch the show-you can see him yelling at the characters the whole time.)

Now here's the wierd part. The finish to the "talk spot" bit with Kermit, has the characters all running in to dress him in the chicken costume, and he is dreading this. While they were lighting, Eren had on Hilda, and in character came over to Korman, and was smoothing his suit and tie, and just saying things like "..oh, such a handsome man..what these Muppets do to you..making you look so silly...:". Suddenly, he starts to relate to her-Hilda NOT Eren, and saying things like "You're the only one who understands.." and he's being serious! Eren froze, but realized what was happening, and kept going with it. She got him to do the chicken bit without too much trouble, and for the rest of the time he was on the show, if there was any problem (like him not coming out of his trailer) Peter Harris would have to tell her "Go get Hilda", and she would have Hilda settle him down.

Now here's the ironic part. Harvey Korman is the only actor to appear with Muppets (Muppet Show) and the Creature Shop characters (Viva Rock Vegas), the only actor to do both TV (Muppet Show) and film (Flintstones, Viva Rock Vegas) and the only one to appear as an actor (Muppet Show, Viva Rock Vegas) and a Muppet voice (Flintstone's Dictabird).

Something to be said for sobriety!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Yeah. THat's just awesome. And kinda weird. Either he was hopped up drunk, or really mad. (Not sure which, I'd have to read it a few times, but I'm popping out the door right now.)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had a feeling that he really didn't want to be on the show, and that his frusteration in that episode was real and not just acting.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
So at least one guest star genuinely hated his time on the show eh:big_grin:

Sounds like Dil really had him down pat when he wrote his fictitious season one cold opening about Harvey locked in a cage and protesting "I WILL NOT SIIIING!!!!!" with the smoke rising from his head:crazy: :wink:

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
All this time I thought he was just acting. That is so unfortunate.

Often times he seemed like not a very nice guy save for where Tim Conway was concerned.

Funny thing, putting the bit about the chicken suit together with them making Elton do the wild costumes and Gene Kelly do "Singin' in the Rain", it seems like their maxim of making the guests happy and letting the guests' wishes inform their content on the show wasn't always so true.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Tim

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, it was the early days of the show and they were still figuing things out. I truly don't think they "made" anyone do anything they didn't want to do. Elton John was of course know for the costumes, and Gene kelly's "take" on "Singin' In the Rain" was well known. I think his dialog at the end was really his own feelings.

David Lazer said how some people were totally involved with the show (John Cleese helped actually write that episode) others just trusted them and were happy to be there. Some did it to please their kids, and others for the visability. There were a few that it was just a job to-probably Bob Hope, since he was only working with people who were current, and he knew thery were hot at the time. Elke Sommers said that she "hated puppets" but that she didn't think of the Muppets as "puppets". I'm still surprised they got Edgar Bergen on the show. He was SO insecure and jealous of other more successful similar performers. Paul Winchell told me horror stories of how he idolized Bergen and Bergen just hated him.

Maybe someday someone will write the "real" truth behind the curtains!

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Tim said:
Maybe someday someone will write the "real" truth behind the curtains!
you know I bet that would sell really well!
I love reading the storys you tell us!:flirt:

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Wow, this is some interesting information! Any other neat tidbits to tell us??

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It would have been nice if the Muppet Morsels had talked about how Harvey Korman didn't want to be on the show.

superboober

Reaction score
Something deep down tells me that's not something the DVD distributors would like to ordinarily promote.