I-Beam, Making Saxophones, etc.

DetGoran

Reaction score
Hi. I'm "DetGoran", and I just registered onto these forums tonight. Why am I posting all in red? Because it's my favorite color. If anyone doesn't like it, I can switch back to black-colored font.

I've been posting messages on the imdb.com Sesame Street message boards for several weeks now. Although the people there are quite knowledgable, I have questions about a few skits that I remember from early childhood.

I was born in 1984, and probably watched Sesame Street from 1984 to about 1988. Apparently, there were a lot of classic skits during this time. Does anyone remember these skits:

• The burning I-Beam. Lots of people on imdb.com were freaked out by this skit when they first saw it. I don't remember it scaring me, but it must have left an impression, as I (vaguely) remember it to this day. I have the music that played during this skit; it's very dark. I can understand why some kids were scared by this one.
  • Showing how saxophones are made. They played sounds of people testing the saxophones being made during the skit.
  • A baker baking a cake. The musical accompaniment to the skit was mostly drums.

Finally, I remember another skit involving Kermit. But I'm not sure if it's from Sesame Street. Does anyone have any information on the following skit?
Kermit was sitting in front of a red curtain (?) He was reminiscing about his early days in the swamp. I'm left with the impression now that he was either in a reflective mood or had been given something that made him think about his childhood (truth serum maybe?).

If you remember these skits, I'd love to hear from you. Does anyone know where I could find videos of these skits also?

Thanks.
Detective Goran

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Yeah I recall them though I can't help you some their a DVD or DVD's out there that have older SS stuff.

Chris Von Count

Reaction score
I remember all of them as well.. the Kermit one vaguely but I do remember the baker making the cake film, the saxaphone film, and the I-beam film.
I wasn't scared of the I-beam film.. I was more enthralled while watching it:smile:
Also welcome to the forum DetGoran

MuppetDude

Reaction score
DetGoran said:
Hi. Kermit was sitting in front of a red curtain (?) He was reminiscing about his early days in the swamp. I'm left with the impression now that he was either in a reflective mood or had been given something that made him think about his childhood (truth serum maybe?)
That's "My Polliwog Ways". After looking at his pictures, he imagines himself at a nightclub full of frogs, and he sings about his childhood. You can find it in show #2615.

DetGoran

Reaction score
Hi, Chris Von Count. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I've been told (on imdb.com) that all of those skits are classics. I can't believe that I still remember them after so many years.

Thanks for the welcome also. It's always nice reconnecting with your childhood.

DetGoran

Reaction score
Hi, Mike. Thanks for the reply.

Are they on DVD? I might check that out; I'd LOVE to see the I-Beam skit again.

DetGoran

Reaction score
Really? Thanks, MuppetDude! I've looked and looked for any clues about that skit and haven't found much of anything.

I think I'll look online for the song; I may just remember it. Thanks again! I was pretty sure that it wasn't something I just dreamed up.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
DetGoran said:
Hi, Mike. Thanks for the reply.

Are they on DVD? I might check that out; I'd LOVE to see the I-Beam skit again.
I don't know anything about the DVDs though some others here are more knoweledgable about this.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
I don't think any of them are available on DVD.

DetGoran

Reaction score
They're not on DVD?

OK. Well, thanks anyway. It looks like I'll just have to resort to TAPING Sesame Street.