Swamp Call

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Why do I always introduce my stories? I try to write them in such a way that they introduce themselves. Yet I always make this funny little post before the story, saying, "hey look! Story!" ...well, doesn't the thread do that itself? <shrug>. Oh well. Let's just get it over with, shall we? "Hey, look! Story!"

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter one

Kermit the Frog watched as the train pulled into the station, right on time. The doors opened and people started pouring out. He scanned the passengers for her. He knew the real reason for the visit, but he had to admit, he was excited to see her again. She had never come to visit him before, and he hadn’t been back to the swamp for a while.

He stood up on a bench to get a better view. It shouldn’t be too hard to find her, he thought. How many frogs could be taking a train here from Leland? But he didn’t see her. He checked the schedule to make sure this was the right train, and started to scan the crowd again.

There! A frog, slightly darker shade of green than him, with long eyelashes. She was an extremely attractive lady frog, and she knew it. She was confident, despite being confused.

Kermit waved to get her attention. “MAGS!” he shouted.

She turned, saw him, and smiled. He hopped off the bench, and the next thing he knew, she was next to him.

“Hey, Mit!” she said as she hugged him.

“Hi Maggie,” he said, hugging her back. “How are you? How was the train ride?”

“I’m wonderful, Mit,” Maggie said. “But the train ride could have been a lot shorter. Why’d you have to move so far away?”

“Well, I went where the work was,” he said.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know,” she said, clearly just giving him a hard time, as was her specialty. “So, how are ya?”

“I’m pretty good,” he said. “But I hope you don’t mind, we have to go straight to the theater. There’s a show tonight, you know.”

“Oh, sure! No problem!” she said. “But in that case, you get to carry my luggage.”

He took the small suitcase she was holding. “I would have anyway,” he said. He put his hand on her shoulder and guided her through the crowd to a waiting cab. “So tell me, Maggie, how’s everything in the swamp?”

“First tell me what’s going on here,” she said. “How’s the little tadpole?”

“You mean Robin?” Kermit said. “He’s not a tadpole anymore, Maggie, he’s a frog.”

“Already?” Maggie said. “They grow up way too fast. I could’ve sworn we were still pollywogs at his age.”

Kermit laughed as they got in the cab and pulled away.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

Fozzie paced backstage. “He’s never been late before,” he said.

“Relax, Fozz,” Clifford said. “He’s never picked anyone up from the train station, either.”

“Yeah, and trains aren’t always on time,” Scooter said.

“But haven’t you guys noticed?” Fozzie said. “He’s been acting weird all day.”

“Only since he got that call,” Dr. Teeth said.

“That’s all day!” Fozzie said.

“Calm down, Fozzie,” Hilda said. “For all we know, whoever he’s picking up may have missed the train.”

Fozzie continued to pace.

“Will you hold still, okay!” Pepe said.

“Sorry,” Fozzie said. He stopped pacing and started to fidget with a pen on Kermit’s desk.

“Hey, Fozzie,” Johnny Fiama said. “You don’t have to freak out just cause he’s a little late. Just, you know, relax a little bit.”

“If Johnny Fiama tells you to relax, you’d better relax!” Sal said.

“Okay okay I’ll relax,” Fozzie said. He put the pen down. Then he started tapping his hand on the desk.

Clifford shook his head at the bear. “Man,” he said. “Somebody oughta teach you to meditate or something.”

The door opened and they heard laughter. Kermit came in carrying a small suitcase. “What about Goggles,” he was saying. “How’s he doing?”

The most beautiful female frog they had ever seen came in and leaned casually against the door jam. “Well, he was alright,” she said. “When I left, he had just accidentally gotten Blotch with his poison gland. Again.”

They laughed. Kermit put the suitcase down, and the girl closed the door.

“Sorry I’m late, guys,” Kermit said as he approached. “You weren’t worried or anything, were you?”

“No, of course not!” Fozzie said. “You’re not that late.”

“Oh good,” Kermit said. “Anything out of the ordinary happen?”

They heard an explosion from the other end of the stage. The lady frog looked startled. The others hardly glanced to see what had happened.

“Just the usual,” Clifford said.

“Alright,” Kermit said. “Uh guys, this is Maggie. Maggie, this is Clifford, Dr. Teeth, Scooter, Fozzie, Johnny Fiama, Sal Minella, Pepe, and Hilda.” He pointed to everyone as he said their names.

“Oh, nice to meet you,” Maggie said.

Well,” Clifford said, taking a good long look at her. “It’s nice to met you too, Miss Maggie.”

“Si, si, very nice, okay,” Pepe said.

“Yes,” Johnny said. “And if you need anything-“

“Feel free to ask me,” Dr. Teeth interrupted.

Scooter cleared his throat. “Would you like a tour of the theater, Maggie?” he offered.

Kermit glared at them.

Maggie smiled. “Well, actually, what I could use is a, um-“ she turned to Hilda. “A bathroom?”

“Oh, certainly,” Hilda said. “Let me show you.” She led Maggie away.

The men watched them go. Kermit didn’t have to look at his friends twice to know he needed to step up to the plate.

“Don’t. Even. Think about it,” he said, glaring at them.

“What’s the matter, Kermit?” Johnny said. “Can’t take a little competition?”

Kermit scrunched up his face. “Let’s just say it’s in my best interest to protect her,” he said.

“And how does that affect us?” Dr. Teeth asked.

“Just remember who signs your paycheck every week,” Kermit said.

“Uh-oh,” Pepe said. “Is that a threat, Kermin, okay?”

DON’T you have work to do?” Kermit shouted.

Everyone immediately scattered, including Miss Piggy, who had seen and heard everything from the door of her dressing room. A moment or two later, Clifford came back. He folded his arms across his chest and leaned on Kermit’s desk. Kermit looked at him.

“What?”

“Come on, Kerm,” Clifford said. “What’s the story?”

Kermit glared at him. “Clifford, Maggie’s my sister,” he said.

“Ohhh,” Clifford said. “So you’re the over-protective brother?”

Kermit scrunched up his face. “I am not over-protective. I just don’t want her to get hurt.”

Clifford shook his head. “Kerm, you know who says that kinda stuff?”

“Who?” Kermit asked.

“Over-protective brothers.”

“Clifford!”

“Alright, I know, I’ll get back to work...” Clifford walked away, debating to himself how to not get on Kermit’s bad side over Maggie.

Kermit shook his head, suddenly remembering why he tried to keep swamp and city separate from each other.

“Hey where is everybody?”

Kermit turned to see that Maggie was back from the bathroom. “Working,” he said.

She scrunched up her face. “Are you protecting me again, Mit?”

He sighed.

“Mit!” she whined as she leaned on his desk. “You said you would stop.”

“I said I would stop protecting you from Blotch,” he said. “I never said anything about anyone outside the swamp.”

“You know I can handle them,” she said.

“Oh, right,” he said. “Same way you handle them at home? Like how I’ve seen you handle Cro-“

She threw a pen at him, cutting him off.

He shook his head. “You know Maggie, you haven’t changed at all,” he said.

“Neither have you,” she said. “So are you going to show me around or not?”

He smiled and pretended to give a little bow. “Certainly, ma’am,” he said. “Right this way for the courtesy Muppet Theater tour.”

She laughed. “Mit, do you ever wonder if you’re absolutely insane?”

“In this place?” he said. “Every day.”

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Yay! Story!:big_grin: :excited: :zany:

This is great Lisa! I absolutely love it!

Somehow I thought Maggie was his sister. And a good thing to, because she seems really cool and Piggy would hurt her...

And Hilda! Ah! Hilda my love your appearances in these fan-fics make oh so much more beautiful! What?

Anyway, Scooter, Clifford, Pepe, and Dr.Teeth were awesome! I love it so far Lisa keep it coming!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Aw, prawncracker, hugs to you! Hugs for replying less than a minute after I posted the story! More hugs for going back and editing your post after actually reading the story!
And, yes, about Miss Piggy, we'll be having some fun with the fact that she was in her dressing room when we found out Maggie is Kermit's sister... speaking of which... keep it coming, you say? Well, only because it's just a matter of copy and paste...

theprawncracker

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
Aw, prawncracker, hugs to you! Hugs for replying less than a minute after I posted the story! More hugs for going back and editing your post after actually reading the story!
And, yes, about Miss Piggy, we'll be having some fun with the fact that she was in her dressing room when we found out Maggie is Kermit's sister... speaking of which... keep it coming, you say? Well, only because it's just a matter of copy and paste...
lol sorry 'bout that. I just wanted to say somethin' then you posted.

And are you serious? Will you post more tonight? :concern: That would be awesome.

BEAR

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
Why do I always introduce my stories? I try to write them in such a way that they introduce themselves. Yet I always make this funny little post before the story, saying, "hey look! Story!" ...well, doesn't the thread do that itself? <shrug>. Oh well. Let's just get it over with, shall we? "Hey, look! Story!"

You're funny!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter two

Maggie knew her brother had work to do, so after the “tour,” she decided to wander the theater on her own. It was nice to finally see this place that he talked about so much, and actually meet the people he had told her about for years. It was new and exciting, and she could almost understand why he had left the swamp.

The swamp. She shook her head, remembering why she had so urgently taken the train that morning. It was easy to put it off, so long as there was something else in the swamp her brother wanted to know about. But she knew there wasn’t really much time.

She brushed the unhappy thought away and looked around. She was in front of the dressing rooms now. It was a big theater, but she felt so claustrophobic. Where was the clear blue sky, the open pond water, the seemingly endless swamp grasses? She couldn’t even see a window. Her brother had never mentioned this part to anyone back home.

She was itching with energy. She stood up on the railing in front of the dressing rooms. It was skinnier than the logs back home, but it would do. She did a back flip and two cartwheels. The she hopped down to the back-stage-area, landing perfectly on her feet, and ran back up the stairs just in time to get smacked by an opening dressing room door.

“Ugh,” she grunted. The door closed, and Maggie found herself face to face with someone who, from the stories she had heard, could only have been Miss Piggy.

“Hi, I’m Maggie,” she said energetically.

Miss Piggy glared at her. “Maggie, is it?” she said. “Well listen, Maggie. I don’t know who you are, but just keep those flippers off of my frog.”

Your frog?” Maggie laughed with a devious twinkle in her eye. “Listen, Pig. I’ve known Mit since we were pollywogs. If anyone here can claim him, it’s me. Not some pig that he happened to hire as some sort of chorus-girl.”

What?!?” Miss Piggy shouted.

“You heard me,” Maggie said, folding her arms across her chest.

Indeed, Miss Piggy had heard her. She stood up very straight and puffed out her chest. “HIIII-“

“Miss Piggy I see you’ve met my sister Maggie,” Kermit said quickly as he hurried to stand between them.

Miss Piggy froze and stared at him. “Your sister?”

“Yes,” he said firmly, “My sister.”

She turned to Maggie and forced herself to hold out her hand. “Nice to meet you, Maggie,” she said, still boiling with anger.

Maggie was trying not to laugh. “Nice to meet you too, Miss Piggy,” she said, and she shook the outstretched hand.

“Uh, Piggy, we’re rehearsing Pigs in Space now, you might want to get on stage,” Kermit said.

She eyed him carefully. “Moi was just on the way there,” she said, and she sashayed past them.

Maggie turned to her brother. “I could’ve handled her,” she said.

Kermit shook his head. “Just do me a favor and don’t get on her bad side,” he said. “The last thing I need is for you to get karate-chopped.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” she said with a devious twinkle in her eye.

“Sheesh,” Kermit said, and he walked away. He knew that look. He could almost hear the wheels turning in his sister’s head. Well, whatever trap she was laying, he was ready. This time, he had a card of his own to play.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

The young frog ran through the theater. He knew his uncle would be at his desk, and he headed straight there.

“Hi Uncle Kermit!” he said.

Kermit looked up from the paperwork. “Hi Robin,” he said. “How was school?”

“It was great!” Robin said. “We watched a movie about butterflies, and then at recess we played baseball, and the other team won, but only by one point, and it was a lot of fun!”

“Oh, good,” Kermit said. “So what did you learn about butterflies?”

“They turn into caterpillars!” Robin said.

Kermit hesitated. “They what?”

“I mean, caterpillars turn into butterflies!” Robin said.

Kermit nodded. “That’s what I thought,” he said.

“What did you do today, Uncle Kermit?” Robin asked.

Kermit smiled. “Well right after you left this morning,” he said, “Your Aunt Maggie called.”

“Really?” Robin said. “How is she?”

“Why don’t you turn around and ask her yourself?” Kermit said.

Robin turned around, and sure enough, Maggie had been standing right behind him. “Hi, Aunt Maggie!” he shouted.

Maggie laughed. “Hi Robin,” she said as she hugged him. “Your Uncle Kermit gave it away. I wanted to see if you still recognized me!”

“Well, if you had told me that ahead of time...” Kermit said.

“Yes,” Maggie said, “But you had already-“

“I could have changed it,” Kermit interrupted, “I’m flexible.”

Maggie smiled. “Maybe,” she said. “But I bet you can’t do this!” She did three back flips.

Kermit scrunched up his face. “I have work to do,” he said.

“Ha!” Maggie turned to Robin. “He can’t do that.”

“Robin,” Kermit said, “Notice how your Aunt Maggie uses something completely irrelevant to prove herself right.”

Maggie scrunched up her face. “Yes Robin,” she said, “Also notice what a sore loser your Uncle Kermit is.”

“Ha!” Kermit said. “Those who live in glass houses, Miss Margaret the Frog.”

Robin shook his head. “And people wonder why I don’t live in the swamp,” he said to himself.

Margaret the Frog?” Maggie repeated. “Aw, what’d I do this time, Mit? You haven’t used my full name since- oh, when was it?”

He looked at her, amused. “You know very well when it was,” he said.

“Oh, now I remember!” she said with that devious twinkle in her eye.

Kermit glanced around. Scooter was approaching from the stage, Gonzo and Rizzo were coming up the stairs, and Fozzie was coming out of a dressing room. Bad timing for him, perfect for his sister.

Maggie went on. “You were mad at me because I told Goggles, Croaker, and Blotch about your little-“

“No, actually,” Kermit interrupted, knowing she had purposely not chosen the most recent even. “That was two times ago. Last time was because you knocked my banjo into the pond again.”

“It was an accident!” she said defensively.

“Oh, right, an accident,” Kermit said. He turned to Robin. “I’m sure, it was just an accident...”

Mit!” Maggie said. “Come on, it was two years ago...”

“You’re the one who was trying to remember the last time I used your full name,” Kermit said.

“Well, you didn’t have to correct me!” she said.

“Yes I did,” he said.

“Um, excuse me, Boss?” Scooter said.

“Yes Scooter?” Kermit said.

“Sorry to interrupt, Boss,” Scooter said, though he was actually glad to defuse the situation, “But Miss Roberts got here a little early, and, well, Animal-“

Scooter was interrupted by a high-pitched shriek and very distinctive shouts of “WOMAN! WOMAN!”

“Where’s Floyd?” Kermit asked quickly. Scooter shrugged. “Find him. Excuse me, Mags,” he said and he ran off in the direction of the shrieks and shouts.

Maggie stomped her foot. “It was an accident,” she mumbled.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
theprawncracker said:
And are you serious? Will you post more tonight? :concern: That would be awesome.
Well... see above post. Think I'm serious? No, I'm Lisa! :smile: And yes, it is awesome, isn't it? Just don't get used to it.

BEAR said:
You're funny!
Thanks much!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<shrug> the title. You'll see why I called it that in um.... well, a few chapters from now...