Those Happy Golden Days

Beauregard

Reaction score
Muffins? BBB? Hairy Byrons?

What are those all about???

Hot Tubs? Hot Baths? The 120 second war?

Huh...I don't find those threads anyplace!

Penguins? Electric Mayhem Bus Kidnappings? SWEHB?

What the heck are those?

..this must be what a lot of new comers here must think upon arrival on our doorstep. Through a long and full history, MC has picked up no end of in-jokes and one-time gags that ran into a whole thread of their own.

Here, I shall attempt to collect and explain many of them. As a long time member with a memory of most MC events beyond the legendary Delphi Board, I can answer many of your questians, and solve the mysterious riddles and lives that liven this forum.

So, shoot away with questians, and I shall endevour to enlighten you on the history of MC and injokes.

Bea:zany:{The Historian}regard

BEAR

Reaction score
What a great idea, Beau! You are sorta like the archive man.

Whatever

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, you're right! I knew he closed the hot tubs, but now they're completely gone! That is not fair!

BEAR

Reaction score
Would you be able to explain more about the history of the hot tub and why it was closed? I've only heard a little bit about it. Thanks, Beau. :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ok. First thing I'm going to attempt to answer is a questian of Muffins. What? And why? And who...?

The main Muffin man, (or woman), who in fact I belive started the Muffin routine was EmmyMik. This Muffin in-joke began on the Delphi Forums, before my day...(She is also famous for inventing the word Spoovy with the help of Joggy. Also the word Inclore)

Another person responsible is Jackie.

When I first arrived, I was baffled by te references to Muffins, and scented envelopes, and I contacted them to discover the meaning. I no longer have a copy of the e-mail I received but it's basic contents were:

Hi Beau,

The whole Muffin thing is an in-joke created by Jackie and I, but even I can't recall how it started.

Emmy
So, there is a mystery there. However, most references to Muffins also are followed quickly by a reference to Bill baretta. Is there something deeper here?

For your enjoyment, here is a list of Muffin Links:

Favorite Muffin books

Favorite Muffin Titles

Favorite Muffin Songs

Favorite Muffin Songs

Muffin Central Awards

What's your favorite Muffin?

Favorite Muffin Frog Jokes

Favorite Muffin Quotes

Favorite Muffin Movies

Favorite Muffin TV Shows

Beauregard

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Would you be able to explain more about the history of the hot tub and why it was closed? I've only heard a little bit about it. Thanks, Beau. :smile:
Yes. I can certainly help to explain that one as it is dear to my heart.

Hot Tub 101...

The Hot Tubs were based on a joke that once you became a senior member, you could enter the mysterious rhelms of the hot tub, where Luke kept a soggy Britney cardboard cut-out, and where Crazy Harry dug a series of tunnels from tub to tub.

After a thread was created to celebrate new members, "Welcome to the Hot Tubs," all new 1,000 post mebers joined there to celebrate, and were given their own tub (though I think Super Scooter and Sarah_Y shared their one, *giggle*, but that's annother story). Anyway, people eventually got a little selfish and a little miffed becuase only Seniors could join the fun in the Hot Tub thread (where parties abounded), so Beth (BethC) created the "Bath Tubs" where non-seniors could head over to the baths and have some partying of their own (provided they didn't splash Beth's new carpet).

However, certain members, amung others, Ronald McDonald, and several others who either got deleted, or else are still here so I shan't name them, entered the Tubs Threads and cuased riot becuse they wanted to stay there without being Seniors. They then headed to the "Friends and Family" section and created thread after thread, "Dorm pools," "Hot pools," "Bath Time" etc...lots of Water based threads which crowded and caused huge arguments. I wrote to Phillip Chapman (among others who wrote) asking that the Tubs be closed. However, rather than simply closing the Tubs, they were all deleted.

Here is a good thread of Hot Tub information: Hot Tubs, wha???

Another usfull link: Make way in that Hot Tub of yours!!!!

And that's basicly the story of the Hot Tubs.

Bea:zany:{Bringing the MC History into your home}regard

Vibs

Reaction score
Thanks for the explainations Beau! I suddenly feel so newbie-ish again. :stick_out_tongue: But actually... I've been a member for like 6 months now or so! Time passes quick aye?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
I think I can help a few, Beaw.

The "Muffin" reference.
I believe it's used when a thread goes off-topic. For example, if a SS thread about the Count soon is focused on Herry Monster, the thread was "Muffined". I guess the origin was when someone focused on muffins on an unrelated thread.

BBB
Stands for "Bill Barretta Borrowers", a club for fans who had a crush on Pepe and Bobo's Muppeteer.

Penguins
First, they're classic Muppets. :zany:

Second, from one of Phil's past articles:

Long-time posters here will remember Luke Robbins’ hilarious “Gratuitous Penguins” post from December 2000, in which he complained about the inappropriateness of penguins in a Christmas display. (There are no penguins in any Christmas story, and real ones don’t live at the North Pole either. Yet in holiday decorations, they’re everywhere!) Since one of the Muppets’ staples is putting penguins in inappropriate places, like tropical production numbers, this post particularly jibed with the sense of humor of people on the site, and so was remembered (and brought back up again) repeatedly after the thread ended.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Hey; I remember the 120 second war! What aplace it was then, you could use more then 3 smilies back then too!

BTW Beau; your "envelope" link leads to a "Sorry No Matches found page" :confused:

BEAR

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
I think I can help a few, Beaw.

The "Muffin" reference.
I believe it's used when a thread goes off-topic. For example, if a SS thread about the Count soon is focused on Herry Monster, the thread was "Muffined". I guess the origin was when someone focused on muffins on an unrelated thread.

BBB
Stands for "Bill Barretta Borrowers", a club for fans who had a crush on Pepe and Bobo's Muppeteer.

Penguins
First, they're classic Muppets. :zany:

Second, from one of Phil's past articles:

Long-time posters here will remember Luke Robbins’ hilarious “Gratuitous Penguins” post from December 2000, in which he complained about the inappropriateness of penguins in a Christmas display. (There are no penguins in any Christmas story, and real ones don’t live at the North Pole either. Yet in holiday decorations, they’re everywhere!) Since one of the Muppets’ staples is putting penguins in inappropriate places, like tropical production numbers, this post particularly jibed with the sense of humor of people on the site, and so was remembered (and brought back up again) repeatedly after the thread ended.
Yes, but one particular Penguin has become a running gag and sort of "mascot" here at MC.