characters who recited the alphabet

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Which characters recited the alphabet in the season 4 premier? I know that Gordon, Rosevelt Frankin, and a muppet called Xavier did. Who else? For non-regular characters, could you please tell me whether it was a human (probably a child) or a child, and for anything muppets, could you tell me who performed the character? Thanks.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
A-Akelstan (real kid)
B-Bob
C-Cookie Monster
D-David
E-Ernie
F-Farley
G-Gordon
H-Mr. Hooper
I-Ingrid (real kid)
J-Jake (real kid)
K-Kermit the Frog
L-Luis
M-Maria
N-Nat (real kid)
O-Oscar
P-Prairie Dawn
Q-Queenie (real kid)
R-Roosevelt Franklin
S-Susan
T-Trey (real kid)
U-Ursula (AM kid) (possibly Fran Brill)
V-Vanessa (real girl)
W-Willy the Hot Dog Man
X-Xavier (AM kid) (Jerry Nelson)
Y-Grover (for "You")
Z-Big Bird

MuppetDude

Reaction score
GROVER: "'Y' is for you, and you visit Sesame Street every day!"

BB: "And 'Z'--well, 'Z' is for...you know, I don't think there's anyone on SS whose name begins with a 'Z'. Oh well; can't have everything!"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
that's weird!

So, there was somebody on Sesame Street with an X for a first initial, but not a Z? That's odd.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I think for the 37th Season Premire they should redo this Alphabet routine at the beggining of the show. It would be nice to see them do an updated version of this. We could have A for Alan, Z for Zoe, R for Rosita.... and so on.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Herry also recited the alphabet. This was an early 70's skit (not sure if season 4, though) where he asks if Grover can keep a secret. Then he tells Grover the secret, which is just the alphabet. Then Grover tells the alphabet to an anything muppet and that muppet tells another anything muppet and so on. Herry finds out at the end and is upset at Grover (but he does compliment him for being, "very good at reciting the alphabet"). Two of the anything muppets in this skit were named Fenwick and Rosemary.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
it's so funny how they worked in the alphabet being a secret. I never realized how funny and wierd that was till I was older and that was what made the show so great is how they did things like that.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Oh for sure! Just taking the alphabet segments alone really shows the brilliance of Sesame Street. Like in this one we just discussed it was great how they had the characters gasping and delighting with awe at various parts of the alphabet recitations (as if they were hearing some really juicy gossip or something!). And then there's the Ernie and Bert skit where Ernie's story he wrote was just the alphabet. Great how Ernie said, "Now here comes the sad part; h i j ... k *sniff* l m n o ... *sniff* p." And the classic cartoon with the little man in the lunchbox singing the alphabet. And Big Bird doing a song by sounding out the 26 letters of the alphabet.
And I haven't even hit the tip of the iceberg here. Ah yes, the amazing brilliance of Sesame Street.