TMS Juliet Prowse Pilot

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have another feature in order to help get you ready for The Muppet Show Season 1 DVD set releasing on Tuesday. Most of you are probably familiar with the Juliet Prowse episode. But did you know that the broadcast version was actually the reworked Juliet Prowse episode?

Find out what was in the original unaired Juliet Prowse pilot episode in our latest guide entry. DW recently went to the Museum of TV and Radio in order to view this original pilot for our guide.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/guides/episodes/tms/pilots/3_prowse.shtml

minor muppetz

Reaction score
who performed T.R. Rooster in the opening? I know that jerry nelson wasn't availible when it was shot, so it had to have been somebody else.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Frank Oz voiced TR in the opening theme.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
D.W., did you get a look at the pilot version of the Connie Stevens episode?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

dwmckim

Reaction score
No, sorry...MTR just had Juliet Prowse.

But maybe with some encouragement from all of us, Disney can include the original Prowse and Stevens episodes as extras on future TMS box sets :smile:

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
You mean this was the only pilot version they had, or this was the only episode they had period? The latter would seem odd as I'd heard they have all 120 episodes. Someone else saw the pilot version of this one at MTR, I thought he said that he saw the pilot version of the second, but perhaps I'm mistaken (he couldn't recall details of the Connie Stevens one, perhaps he mentioned it but never watched it).

Frankly I doubt we'll ever see the pilot versions EXCEPT at MTR. If we were to see them, this set would've been the place.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

David French

Reaction score
Interesting - Christopher Finch mentions in his Of Muppets and Men book the Juliet Prowse episode and says that during it, Kermit flirts with a chorus girl named Roxanne. That scene was totally removed from the broadcast episode, so I wonder if Finch had access to the original pilot or if he was given that info from another source?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused here. Does this mean both the original and the reworked versions of the Juliet Prowse eps are on the DVD?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I'm a bit confused here. Does this mean both the original and the reworked versions of the Juliet Prowse eps are on the DVD?
No they are not. Only the broadcast version is on the DVD, not the original pilot we are discussing here.

dwmckim

Reaction score
MTR doesn't have all the Muppet Show episodes; only between 30-40 of them (they don't have any version of Connie Stevens.) Some are the full 25 1/2 minute versions; others are the 23 1/2 non UK versions.

Finch must have had access to the original version when he wrote OMAM since not only does he cite the scene where Kermit flirts with Roxanne, but he also mentions Fozzie's panhandler joke...but then again he also references Muppy's biting Kermit so he most likely had access to both versions (or a transcript or script of them)