Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I haven't decided yet

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I'm still buying the set

Votes: 100 87.7%

• Total voters

Squigiman

Reaction score
I'm not going to not buy the set. Heck, I'm opening my store, tomorrow, which is right across from an FYE, so I'll get the first dibs. At the same time, however, I disagree with the "So what?" reasoning. If we are being promised certain things we should get them. All of this legality and ABC prooduct with CBS logo and whatever, is a bunch of BS, and whether it has to happen these days or not is just annoying. Don't mistake me, I am incredibly overjoyed that we will be getting the first season of one of the finest shows to grace television, BUT it should be treated as such and not relegated to cuts because of petty garbage like a rival network's logo.

If the cover advertises Jim Henson's original promotional pitch reel, we should get it, not a chopped up, butchered version of it. The one line makes all the difference. We won't be offered these episodes in more complete form, elsewhere, now that it's Disney that owns the rights. It's not the other way around with the Time-Life situation, releasing full episodes in no particular order, and then getting an order but cut episodes. We won't see these again, so these should be DEFINITIVE.

That's what DVDs were made for, folks. TV Box sets were especially made for collectors and completists. Disney can release, via Buena Vista, a set of Fantastic Four cartoon episodes, chronologically, featuring the entire series, including an episode where the first image is the World Trade Center exploding, but the CBS logo and Kermit mentioning "H E L L" is too much??? Come one! This, pre-Baywatch, was the most widely syndicated show, IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, it deserves a little more respect. It's sad to say, but I guess it's off to MySpleen I go, as they have the entire run, as well as other tidbits that'll probably never see the light of day on a DVD. Let's just hope they do better for the later and better seasons, like ridding the world of their introductory previews of non-related Disney stuff, and giving bonus features, including every commercial produced, to each individual episode. I don't know if chapter selection is included or not, but maybe Disney, believe it or not, could actually learn a thing or two from Time-Life.

-Squigiman

That Announcer

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
well it's a shame you will deny yourself the joy that is TMS
Exactly. If you're making a big fuss over five lost scenes and specifically noticing that they're gone, what you're NOT noticing is the wonderful entertainment that would be playing out before you. I agree with Sugarbritchez: So what if they cut out five songs. The point is not what isn't there; the point is what is there. And to deny yourself the enjoyment of the great set that will be released tomorrow is absolutely idiotic. The last I checked, Jim Henson's vision was to make "millions of people happy". Now, if you're not going to be happy because five little three-and-a-half minute scenes are missing, you're being obtuse.

Do you want my advice? OK: Buy the set. Revel in the Robot Kermit, the banana sketch, Gonzo eating his tire, the wisecracks of Statler and Waldorf, Ernie and Bert dancing with Connie Stevens, Bunsen's gorilla detector, Mahna Mahna and the Two Snowths, Mummenschanz's unusual masked theater, the original first season openings, the "Sex and Violence" pilot, the country trio, Dr. Teeth singing "Tenderly" and "Love Ya To Death", the hilarity of "Simon Smith and his Amazing Dancing Bear", the cheesy jokes of "At the Dance", Peter Ustinov portraying a robot Prime Minister, "Halfway Down the Stairs", Piggy and Fozzie's original designs, Wayne and Wanda, the Galley Oh Hoop Hoop, the Muppet Newsman's glasses spinning around his head, and of course, "Bein' Green". Now, that seems like an awful lot of entertainment to miss for the sake of twenty minutes of footage, don't you think?

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Thought I am sorry about the cuts, there is no way i would boycott the dvd in a million years!!! Sure i wish they were un-cut, sure i wish Kermit had his punch line at the end of the pitch real, and sure i wish the Jim Henson Retrospective was on the set.

Although i still don't understand the reasons why edits have to take place on any show, once's it's part of the show...it's part of the show...should be the motto.;-) but it an't like that. i know. i'm still going to love this set just as much. the bigest puzzlement is why is "You've got a friend on the timelife set and not on this set? but atleast we can have it on timelife, even if it's not in this full set.

BEAR

Reaction score
Oh geez. Making such a huge gigantic fuss over little cuts that Disney had no control over is so sad. Why don't you just be greatful to have it in the first place. Atleast we are getting all the episodes. Forgive me, but what a bunch of cry babies. I guess those who want to boycott the DVDs can do what they want, but they will miss out even more. I'd rather have the DVDs how they are because you get more than nothing.

Ernie101

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
Exactly. If you're making a big fuss over five lost scenes and specifically noticing that they're gone, what you're NOT noticing is the wonderful entertainment that would be playing out before you. I agree with Sugarbritchez: So what if they cut out five songs. The point is not what isn't there; the point is what is there. And to deny yourself the enjoyment of the great set that will be released tomorrow is absolutely idiotic. The last I checked, Jim Henson's vision was to make "millions of people happy". Now, if you're not going to be happy because five little three-and-a-half minute scenes are missing, you're being obtuse.

I really don't think I could've said it better myself. It's alright to be upset about the cuts, but there is so much more there. If you truly love TMS and the empire Jim Henson came to build, then you would try to pick this up. I understand if you just don't want it, but if it's because of the cuts..then that's not supporting the fanbase or the mound of love that has been created over the years by the company. Oh well though, all in all.. I'm buying it..the end.

BEAR

Reaction score
The Set hasn't even been released yet, so we will need to wait and see it for ourselves.

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
Muppet Show DVD Season 1

I want to state that I own the video The Muppet Show:Monsterous Laughs.
and the vincent price episode was cut. Also I have a muppet show that had that lady Rita She was from the Electric Company (a show from the 70's)
An opening number had her dancing with a french muppet and that number was cut.

I want others to know that I am a True Muppet fan and even though there are some cuts on the DVD, I am still buying it. I was a little upset that they did not do the retospective on Jim. But I hope that the will keep ther promise that they will have it on the next one, and hopefuly have The Muppets Valentine Show on a seperate dvd. That will be great.
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Phamos818

Reaction score
I think the cut I'm most upset about is "You've Got a Friend." As it WAS on the TimeLife DVD, that puts the lie to the idea that Disney "had no control over" what was cut and what wasn't. It didn't have to do with anyone not RELEASING the song, it had to do with how much Disney was willing to pay for the rights. OK, obviously they were looking at the profit margins, but this set would still sell incredibly well even if it was $10 more expensive.

That said, I did buy the set and I did enjoy the fact that they had the original openings. And they had the non-standard ending for the Kaye Ballard episode (though I'm a little confused as to whether the final shot was different to what was originally aired, as I'd never seen it before), so there's hope that the other non-standard endings will be aired on other sets.

I was surprised by how UNfunny I found "Sex and Violence", which I'd never seen before.

I don't really understand what the point was of including the pitch reel if they're going to cut out the ending to make it more family friendly. That's pretty dumb.

Anyway, I've mostly gotten over my grumpiness at the cuts and enjoyed watching all the episodes I'd never seen before. I'm hoping for "Of Muppets and Men" on one of the next sets, as well as (of course) the Muppet Valentine Show.

Squigiman

Reaction score
First and foremost, I don't have to be a moderator to know that the name-calling is ridiculous. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the whole point of forums such as these are to be able to express and debate those opinions. Let's just not get nasty over it or try to act high and mighty like one IS right and the other IS wrong and that is that. I am a HUUUUUGE Muppet Fan, and have awaited tomorrow for a good part of my life. I will be the first in line to buy it, as so much of it has been unseen by my eyes, and any Muppet material made when Jim was alive is usually, even at its worst, is a thousand times better than what we've had to accept, ever since.

I will revel in all of the classic bits, just like any other fan. It's not like they cut out Mahna Mahna, though you could argue that it's been available just about everywhere else. Most cuts were lesser things. HOWEVER, I still am greatly angry about them. NOTHING should be cut, and more importantly, we should not be teased with the pitch, when the greatest moment is removed, for whatever petty reason the truth may be. Waiting to tomorrow, buying or not, will not reveal it, though my money is more on the CBS logo than the H-Word. Anyways, I think any self-respecting Muppet fan should buy it, because of the sheer amount and quality contained within.

This does not mean Disney, who is the one to blame, because when it all comes down to it, they're the ones releasing it, should continue this pattern for the four more chances they have to fix their great mistakes. The pre-sales have shown this as an in-demand item. Eisner, himself, has put Kermit up there with Mickey and Winnie The Pooh (though I feel Kermit belongs in the #2 spot, as Winnie's only who he is, worldwide, because of his ties to Mickey and not Milne), as popular worlwide icons. This includes being CORPORATE icons, as in money-making. Make the money by giving the fans what they want, and ALL of it. At least, unlike an unfortunately foolishly designed shirt I just got, featuring the name, "The Muppet Show", Pepe wasn't digitally added to scenes from the show. Just imagine THAT NIGHTMARE!

All in all, Disney should do their damndest to make all vintage Jim Muppet material available that they can, including every individual episode-based promo and not just a reel, as well as every episode, as originally broadcast, even if they need to tag "Muppets Holding Company" on the end for legal purposes. I think we all want the same thing, when it comes down to it. We will all get what we can get our hands on, if we want it that much. However, some just seem to want it all, having the knowledge of it's existence, and find it unfair to be denied such greatness, despite other greatness being finally sent our way. Would you want to get Sam without his Friends? I thought not.

-Squigiman