help with antron fleece

furryfriends

Reaction score
after i carve the foam head what do i do with the antron do i just stretch it and glue and overlap the seams or do i sew the antron fleece and pull it over the foam like a tube? Also is antron ok to put in the wash to dye it if i do what setting should it be on. What is the material in the mouth made of is it wool or fleece. also for facial features do i cover them with antron seperately and then glue them on or do i carve it into the foam and stretch the antron over them?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
A couple of things....

1. Don't glue the fleece, sew it. I find that it's best to hand sew it.

2. What you have to do with the fleece is pattern it so that it covers the head properly, a process in dressmaking called draping. It's a little tricky to do and takes some practice. Try googling "Draping fabric" to see if you can find some helpful sites.

3. Mouth material can be whatever you want really. I usually use a high quality black felt myself.

4. It's best to make facial features separately and then glue (or preferrably sew) them on.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
it might help u to start by using a pre made puppet pattern before you start draping your own, search the forum i know thier are a few kits out thier,

u can learn a lot for the way a flat pattern is put togother , and it will help u can a better understanding of how draping is achieved, it takes time, and practice,
and

DONT GLUE THE FLLECE TO THE FOAM SEW IT SEW IT SEW IT!!!!!!

furryfriends

Reaction score
I would not be getting antron right awway but my grandmother has been making puppets for some 35 years now so she knows what she is doing i have another quetion thou when sewing the material to the foam do u make a glove to fit it that seems like it would be very hard to do

furryfriends

Reaction score
so you strech the antron over the foam and sew it wont the thread show? also can u help with dyeing where do i do it in the bath tub or in a bucket

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
its great that your so excited about your puppet , i think the best thing you can do is to search thru all of the puppet building discusions,many of your questions have been asked and answered many times and thier is a wealth of information here for those who read thru the many different articles, and topics.

as for dying, read the insturutions on the Ritt dye pagage or what ever brand you are using, or go to thier websites, antron takes dye well just do as the instructions tell you.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I have a question about Antron fleece. Didnt antron fleece stop production? thats what i thought I heard a while back. Its not available here in Australia, if it is let me know! I heard that theres a substitute for antron fleece, if so could someone tell me what it is?
Thanks

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
they have created a new replacement, it works just as well as the original stuff, and looks the same as well, i think we had a thread about that here in the forum,

furryfriends

Reaction score
thanks for all your help my antron fleece is coming on wednesday so im very excited

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
If anyone can tell me what the new stuff is called that would be great. I wonder if its available in Australia.