Frank Oz News

Frogster

Reaction score
This morning, I woke up to my mom telling me that Frank Oz was going to be in Kansas City tonight, and that he was premoting Paul Mesner's Puppets. For those of you who don't know, Paul Mesner lives in Kansas who is coming up in the world of arts with his wonderful puppets. Well, the one and only Frank Oz was going to show up tonight at a benefit, with tickets costing $100, and he was, undoubtedly, going to perform some very famous characters.

Well, my mom called to see if they had any tickets left, and when she called me back, she said Frank Oz cancelled, saying that his doctor advised him not to travel due to him being sick. I'm sure you can imagine how upset I am, but I really do Frank gets better, because it's said that if he does, he'll be back in two weeks.

But man, was I so close!!!

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
That's too bad. But hey, please keep us posted if he does reschedule. I'd love to drive down to see him. Do you know if this is a ticketed event?

Frogster

Reaction score
I really don't know, but I'll get the number that you can call to find out...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Andywankenobi said:
Do you know if this is a ticketed event?
Frogster said:
Frank Oz was going to show up tonight at a benefit, with tickets costing $100,
Looks like it would be!

:smile:

I hope Frank is okay, and that you get a chance to meet him in person! That would be SOOOO awesome!!

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Looks like it would be!
Okay, you got me there. But there's a good reason I asked. Before posting I read a news story about it, and it said that the benefit would go on without Mr. Oz, but that a talk he was giving in town would be rescheduled. That's the thing I actually was wondering about whether it ticketed or not. But since nobody here can read my mind (I'm well-trained), I guess it was hard to determine from my post.

Anyway, I hope all is well with Frank Oz, and I hope he does reschedule.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
here is the event i think u read about , i googled it

artilce is from the "Kansas City Jewish Chronicle"
Did you know the Muppet, Miss Piggy, was Jewish? How about Yoda from the "Star Wars" films? It's true: Those famous TV and film characters were created by the Jewish puppeteer and film director Frank Oz, who is to visit the Kansas City this weekend. Miss Piggy is said to have been modeled in part on Frank Oz's mother, Francis Oznowicz.
Starting this weekend and continuing through the summer, the puppeteering legacy of Frank Oz's parents, the late Mike and Francis Oznowicz, will be celebrated by Kansas City's premiere puppet company, the Paul Mesner Puppets.
An exhibition of Oznowicz family puppets and memorabilia runs now through Sept. 30 at the Mesner Puppets' Midtown studio.
Martin Leon, assistant artistic director of the Paul Mesner Puppets, explained that he is the connection that brought the Oz exhibition to Kansas city.
"Mike is my godfather," Leon said. "I've known him my entire life. My parents are puppeteers in the (San Francisco) Bay area."
Leon said that Mike Oznowicz's actual first name is Isadore, and that Oznowicz , a native of Belgium, served as a member of the underground French Resistance to Nazi Germany during World War II.
After the war, the Oznowicz family relocated to the San Francisco area. In addition to being puppeteers, Francis Oznowicz worked as a haute couture seamstress, Leon said.
"Miss Piggy is based on Frank's mother, Francis," Leon said. "She was very glamorous ... and not controlling in a bad way," although Francis and Miss Piggy share some of the same mannerisms.
The Oznowiczes were active in the Puppeteers of America, as well as local guilds and museum boards, Leon said. In addition to the Holocaust, the Oznowiczes survived a forest fire and earthquakes that threatened their home in California, he said.
While both the Oznowiczes are now dead, they lived to see their son, Frank, become a famous puppeteer and film director.
In addition to his work with Muppets creator Jim Henson (Oz also created the Muppets Grover and Fozzie Bear), Frank Oz has directed such feature films as "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" and "Little Shop of Horrors." Oz and Henson co-directed "The Dark Crystal." Director George Lucas hired Oz to create and voice the mystical midget, Yoda, in the 1980 film "The Empire Strikes Back," and in subsequent "Star Wars" films.
Oz will bring Miss Piggy with him to town this weekend, and she will interact with "the first lady" of the Paul Mesner Puppets, Georgette, at a fund-raising event set for this evening. Oz will have his other Muppets with him for a Saturday-morning presentation at Unity Temple on the Plaza.
Oz will be the special guest at a fundraising event set for 7:30 p.m. Friday, July 8, at the Paul Mesner Puppet Studio, 1006 E. Linwood Blvd. Proceeds will benefit the Paul Mesner Puppet Capital Reserve Fund. Oz will talk about his parents and introduce Miss Piggy to Georgette and Paul Mesner. Tickets are $100 and up. Call (816) 756-3500.
Frank Oz will also appear with his Muppet friends Miss Piggy, Grover, Fozzie and Animal at 10 a.m. Saturday, July 9, at Unity Temple on the Plaza, 47th and Jefferson streets. His one-hour presentation will include slides of his work over the years. Tickets range from $10-$20. To reserve a seat, call the Central Ticket Office, (816) 235-6222. :attitude:

beaker

Reaction score
Dang, I thought Oz was trying to distance himself from the world of puppetry. This is encouraging. One hopes someday Oz and Juhl will work again with the Muppets.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I had NO idea Frank Oz is Jewish! That's so awesome! Ooh, another piece of Jewish trivia to add to random games for Hebrew School and youth group... Sorry, but the proud Jew in me had to come out. That's more exciting to me than the rest of the article. Man, am I crazy or what?