New Electric Company TV Show and DVD

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
TV Guide's latest issue (June 5) has an article about a new version of The Electric Company, which may premiere in 2007. The article also mentions that The Sesame Workshop (AKA Children's Television Workshop) is preparing DVD releases for later this year. We contacted CWT, but weren't able to get any more information but if we can dig something up it'll be posted to the site.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I just fetched my new TV guide and read the great news on page 18! Boy that'll be great if they do indeed release DVD sets of the 1971-1977 Electric Company later this year! Hopefully the sales will do really well and some DVD's of classic Sesame Street will follow. :smile:

By the way, the last sentence in the tv guide article is interesting:
"Many parents will recall that before there was a David Letterman, there was a Letterman on "Electric Company." When I first heard the name David Letterman in the 80's I remember Letterman from TEC coming to mind!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Will the DVD's be older episodes, or will they serve as pilots for the new show?

It'll be pretty weird to release old school Electric Company. Weird for them, anyway, since they don't release much classic SS DVD's for collectors.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I'm happy to say that the DVDs will be from the 70's shows. :smile:

Here's a quote from the tv guide article:

"Equally electrifying is news that DVD sets of the 1971-1977 "Electric Company" featuring Rita Moreno, Bill Cosby, and a pre-stardom Morgan Freeman will be released later this year."

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Will the DVD's be older episodes, or will they serve as pilots for the new show?

It'll be pretty weird to release old school Electric Company. Weird for them, anyway, since they don't release much classic SS DVD's for collectors.
probably be the older shows. far as i'm concerned there's nothing wierd about that at all. personally i think it's kind of strange they want to revive it since there's the current reading series on PBS Between The Lions. what's the point of that? what they could do is bring back that math series Square 1 TV. it's format was sort of like TEC's where you didn't have a set but were more like the old prime time variety shows.

Censored

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
TV Guide's latest issue (June 5) has an article about a new version of The Electric Company, which may premiere in 2007. The article also mentions that The Sesame Workshop (AKA Children's Television Workshop) is preparing DVD releases for later this year. We contacted CWT, but weren't able to get any more information but tf we can dig something up it'll be posted to the site.

I don't know how I feel about a new Electric Company, but the old EC shows on DVD sounds WONDERFUL!

Katzi428

Reaction score
WOW! That'll be great!
My niece will be just the right age to enjoy TEC in 2007 :smile:
(Hopefully she'll take after me with liking to read & enjoying TEC) )

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
I found this at tvshowsondvd.com:
A couple of months ago we passed along a TV Guide report that The Electric Company, that mainstay of PBS from the early '70s, was coming to DVD in the future. Now online e-tailers such as DVDPlanet.com are showing a 4-disc "Best Of" set coming out on February 7th, 2006. There's no real detail yet, from the e-tailers or from the company that's putting this out, Sony Music. But we can tell you that the release has a list price of $49.95, and that DVDPlanet is pre-selling it for a discounted cost fo $34.97. Bill Cosby, Irene Cara, Morgan Freeman, Rita Moreno, Gene Wilder, Joan Rivers, and Mel Brooks are just some of the well-known names involved with this classic kid's production (not to mention the Spider-Man installments!). Hopefully we'll see many of these on the upcoming DVDs. Stay tuned, and we'll fill you in once the details come across.
soruce tvshowsondvd.com

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes this is great news. Will be so much fun seeing 4 discs worth of all those half hour classic "Electric Company" shows. Just 6 months from now!
And I'm really excited about getting the first season of "The Muppet Show" pretty soon.

Ernie101

Reaction score
I can't think of anything to say.. except wow.. I can only describe how happy I am.