I Met Bill Murray!!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I grabbed the wrong camera as I headed out the door, so only got a few shots of him. Luckily, there was another acquaintance of mine there that also got shots of him, so I hope to get copies soon.

I went to the FedEx/St. Jude Classic PGA Tour here in Memphis yesterday (5/25/05) hoping beyond hopes to get a chance to have Bill sign my 1984 Ghostbusters Movie Poster (on which I have Dan Aykroyd's and Ernie Hudson's sigs).

Well, I finally found an area where I could get up close to him by 2 feet and was the ONLY one there who said, “Mr. Murray, please?” He looked at me and said, "I sign for kids, women, and virgins first; not autograph hounds."

I tried a few more times and he ignored my pleas! (Yes, I was begging).

We were nearing the back 9 greens of the course, and Bill was walking down the fairway and a woman that I was standing by yelled out, “Hey, Bill, someone came to see you!” He looked over and she pointed down and kicked a button on an animated Gopher (from Caddyshack) that began to dance and sing, “I’m All Right.” Bill came running over acting like he wanted to shake her hand and kicked the Gopher in the belly, then said, “Oh, I’m sorry lil’ gopher!” in the character voice he had in Caddyshack.

Finally, I put up the poster and held out the program where his name is listed and he took my pen to sign the woman’s Gopher (on the tag), and then grabbed my program and signed that! WOOT! YAAYYY! I finally got his autograph!! Then, a pregnant woman was standing there and he signed her shirt, circling the belly button as an "O" and signed, "Bill Murray is OK."

Well, I decided, "There's several more golf holes, and there's still a very slim chance he'll sign for me." So, in the back corner of the golf course there were about 20 people around, and the rest of the crowd had gathered at the hole for that green. He came walking by and I shouted out, "Please, Mr. Murray, sign this 'to Kevin." He turned and came in my direction and asked, "Who's Kevin?" My heart stopped and I said, "Me, sir. I've kept this poster since 1984 and would LOVE to have you personalize this to me!" He pulled his pen from his pocket and said, "Hold it for me." And signed it, "To Kevin, Watch your head, Bill Murray," right above his head on the poster. The joke, of course, is that it was a golf tournament. I had to lock my knees, people, to keep me from falling down, and my PURE JOY was so much that I had to work REALLY hard to restrain myself from freaking out all Fan-Boyishly while he stood there signing my poster for me.

I didn't mention, btw, that there were people walking with my buddy Daniel and myself as we tried to get the poster and T-shirt signed. Finally, when I got that poster signed and freaked out bouncing off the trees, golf balls, and other folks, some of the people that were standing there applauded because they knew my plight (yes, I made it known--"I've been holding this poster since 1984 and I have just GOT to get a signature on it!"). Same when Daniel got his shirt signed, folks weren't applauding but he got a BUNCH of pats on the back for it.

It took 15 holes, but I finally got it signed! I'm glad he signed my poster, and once he knew it was to be personalized and not sold on Ebay, he seemed glad to do it.

I always knew he was a bit egotistical, and now I'm not sure if he's really a jerk, or if that's the persona he carries because while he's snapping at one person, it's funny to another. I'm not sure.

He's also taller than I expected, but in person looks the same to me as he did many years ago!

He was also very funny. One guy bet him $1,000 he couldn't make a putt, he made the putt and collected (I think that was set up).

I did hear that he was downtown last night and a crowd gathered up and he closed his eyes and shouted, "When I open my eyes you're all gonna be gone away!" Funny, or egotistical? I dunno. Still, these could even have been folks who'd been stalking him since forever, or at least all that day!

Still, happier'n a hog at slop time to have my poster signed!! I'm still so high off that experience, ya'll, that I simply wanna scream and sing right now!

Katzi428

Reaction score
YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!
Kevin...I am so happy for you! :big_grin: Bill Murray's a pretty funny guy :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It was AWESOME! He is so funny.

Pure talent, too! He walked the entire course, concentrated on playing golf, and still had energy to be funny! I think really all he has to do is make a look and he's funny!!

Whatever

Reaction score
Yay! I've been waiting to hear your account! :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Boy, I haven't seen Bill Murray since that movie Osmosis Jones, what's he up to now?

Erine81981

Reaction score
Great job Kevin. Its cool to hear something about someone signing a poster that someone had for over 16 years or less. I hope one of theses days I'll a signing of something that I love and adore.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I totally share your need to "freak out" feeling. I'm very very very easily star struck (I got all fan-boy nutso when I got my picture taken with Marc Singer for cryin' out loud!), and if I saw Bill Murray, I think I'd hyper-ventilate. Congrats on the autograph!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
Great job Kevin. Its cool to hear something about someone signing a poster that someone had for over 16 years or less.
More like 21 years this fall!! :smile:

Thanks everybody for the well wishes and congrats! It was fun.

June 8th I'm going to see The Blues Brothers in concert and I HOPE to meet Dan Aykroyd there again (met him in Memphis last time they came to perform in the area).

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
the gopher has left the building!!

Great Gophers & Congrats Kevin!! Bill Murray has been a favorite comedy/actor/genius of mine since SNL/Ghostbusters/Caddyshack,etc....He is such a terrific actor,he's more the serious comedian;accountable in such classics as afore mentioned,and also including Scrooged,Groundhog Day,Lost in Translation,Mad Dog & Glory,etc....His brothers are also fantastic golfers too.I would love to meet Dan Aykroyd & Bill Murray,that would be a hoot.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Danny is VERY fan friendly! He's very approachable and polite, too. I really like him, and his 'vibe' is such that you feel happy around him. Definitely someone I would love to hang out with and chill!

I LOVE Groundhog Day and What About Bob. Those are great films!!