Sesame/Muppet Discussions Outside of MC

Ziffel

Reaction score
At this forum we enjoy discussing the muppets and other SS items with each other. But I was wondering if any of my fellow classic Sesame Street fans here ever bring up classic clips to people at work, in their family, etc. :smile:
Kind of a different question but I was just curious. For me, from time to time I have brought up classic SS things I thought were funny. It's usually to a person that I know would have been a child in the 70's or early 80's and thus would be fairly likely to have some familiarity with classic SS. Sometimes people react with a little chuckle or even a little groan but usually they laugh pretty heartily, which I always enjoy seeing. The most recent time was about a week ago at work. A coworker and I were talking about funny classic television shows like "The Honeymooners" and then I brought up Sesame Street. He said his favorite character was always The Count, so I told him about two skits with him I thought were hilarious: The mailman coming to the Count's door and The Count counting sneezes. As I was going through them, they came back to him and he laughed quite hard.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Seeing there's a thread now called, "Anyone think you're weird for
watching Sesame Street?" reminds me of this thread I started a long time ago, so thought I'd bump it.
I got no responses to this thread but the new one has gotten 50 so far. Of course, sometimes a thread can get lost in the shuffle if there's no replies for a day. Whereas, once a thread starts getting a few replies, it can then lead to a domino effect of many replies. But most of my threads have always turned out flops.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Sadly I've had trouble trouble admitting openly about enjoying SS years after I've grown past the target age.

But occasionally I've brought up SS in one way or another on different forums.

Case in point.

I belong to a forum on urban areas I sometimes put up a clip of some old SS film around NYC and asks if anyone from that area knows where this was filmed and sometimes I'd get a response and they would say or gues where it took place.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Hi Mike.

Yeah, sometimes I sing SS or TEC songs and people ask, "What's that from?" And being a little hesitant to disclose it sometimes, I'll say, "Oh it's a song from the 70's". Sometimes they'll say,"Oh. never heard it before. That's a neat one." But if they press further and say, "A song from the 70's? By who?" and I then say, "It was on Sesame Street", I sometimes get a slightly funny kind of look that embarrasses me.

BEAR

Reaction score
Hi Mike.

Yeah, sometimes I sing SS or TEC songs and people ask, "What's that from?" And being a little hesitant to disclose it sometimes, I'll say, "Oh it's a song from the 70's". Sometimes they'll say,"Oh. never heard it before. That's a neat one." But if they press further and say, "A song from the 70's? By who?" and I then say, "It was on Sesame Street", I sometimes get a slightly funny kind of look that embarrasses me.
I can relate somewhat to that, Ziff. There are times when I have a specific Sesame tune in my head and I'll hum it or sing it and I get asked what its from. I'm often hesitant to give a real answer. Most of the time it's my fiance though and she doesn't care that much. She knows what a crazy Muppet fan I am and she supports and appreciates it.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Thanks Bear. Considering the love and devotion we all have here at this forum for SS and the muppets, I figured a lot of us do sing and/or bring up the muppets to people in general in the outside world around us. I mean, we are who we are and eventually the things we have passions for can't be completely hidden if we're working with someone day after day, or going to school with them, etc.

And same with my former fiance, BEAR. Once the two of us became engaged and deeply in love, she knew EVERYTHING about me! There's no hiding anything at that point! :smile: The nice thing is, when you are deeply in love like that you think every single detail about your significant other is perfect. And sure enough, she thought it was cute and neat that I liked the muppets and classic SS and had all those fond memories.

Heh, she would be afraid of what I might think of certain details about her. As I would be afraid of what she would think upon discovering certain details or characteristics about me. But I learned that when in a true loving committed relationship, there's nothing to fear. Because if they so strongly love you, then they love you for who you are, (even warts and all, as they say!).

But for people in the outside world in general there isn't that kind of unconditional love and acceptance, of course. Thus, my curiosity about this topic. On the one hand our passion for the muppets and SS is hard to keep inside. But on the other hand, we may indeed be hesitant due to fear of feeling embarrassed or misunderstood.

Congrats on your fiance, Bear. I know before you talked about a girlfriend, but not sure if I recall you saying you were engaged. So that's great news. Just like with redboobergurl and krazedmuppet (who now are actually married and past engagement :smile: ).

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Since I'm not registered and if no one else here is, then we can't read it.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah I'm sorry ssetta, but the same thing happened for me too with that link. Requires registration.

Crazy31088

Reaction score
I try to avoid discussing Sesame Street with people outside of this board, except maybe my parents, who still give me strange looks somewhat if they catch me in the act of watching the show, or hear me talk about it. At least they don't ban me from watching it (at my age, that's a little hard to do anyway...)

But other Muppet stuff...no way, I talk about it with whoever I want to! And more often than not, I get positive responses, because it seems to me to be a universal touchstone for many people.