Blinking mechanism instructions!

solo409

Reaction score
I know that there was a post somewhere about this, but the question didn't seem to be discussed in detail :confused: ...I am wondering if any one knows of a good puppet construction web site that gives a guide on making a blinking mechanism for hand puppets. There is one out there for ventriliquist dummys, but has anyone come across something for muppety style hand puppets? Or has anyone removed the blinking mechanism from the Fisher-Price Animal puppet and used that? If so, any tips on how this can be adapted? Ive seen that www.Monsterpuppets.com sells puppets that blink, which made me wonder if there was a standard mechanism that mabey one could buy and customize to their own creature... Any one know how Henson creates this effect?
Thanks,
---Nate:stick_out_tongue:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The post/thread you are referring to is aboutMoving Eyes. There's no one way to do it, I suspect even the Henson folks have multiple ways of approaching it.

There's some leads on good info in the aforementioned thread. I hope this helps!!

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Good luck, Nate!

I've been searchin' for those type of answers, too.

- Billy :cool:

solo409

Reaction score
Buck, do you mean the "Figure making" book has more ways of creating this mechanism than is shown on the web site? I am just trying to decide if its worth buying. I'd hate to bay $35 and find that it is not really helpfull. But you say it is, so I think I probably will get it. Since you have not said otherwise, I assume that this is the only site you have seen on the subject?
Do you guys create puppets w/ this feature in your shop?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
If memory serves, the book covers two types of common eye lid mechanisms - namely Rigid Shell mechs and "Doe skin" ones. I am not sure whether or not Michael has both of these on his site (and I'm just too lazy to check right now).

Although it might not contain the exact info you need, "Figure Making Can Be Fun" is a fabulous (and one of the most comprehensive) puppet building books out there on building any type of puppet. Lots of good stuff on casting and different types of mechs. If you are serious about building puppets, it's worth adding to your collection if you can afford it.

I haven't seen any other sites dealing with eye mechs or "winkers." I know we discussed this subject at length in the old forum- does anybody know if/how solo can access it?

Oh - and yes, we create puppets with this feature. :smile:

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
Buck,
Do you work on T.V.? It sounds like you do, so I thought I'd ask you!

Sir Didymus

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Kinda. Click on my profile and visit the website listed, it's all there.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Something tells me that in certain instances the Muppet eye-blinking (ie. Dr. Teeth) was done in the same manner as the Gorgs faces were worked on Fraggle Rock, only less complex. A person at a button or control panel turns a knob and the eyelid goes down. The complex version done on Fraggle Rock was explained and demonstrated on "Down at Fraggle Rock: Behind the Scenes." If anyone needs it, let me know :smile:

-Matt

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
"Down at Fraggle rock: behind the scenes!" I have never heard of it! Where can I get it? How long is it??

Sir Didymus