SS Westerns

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i wonder what's the oldest one? 1 that just came to mind today was the Alphabet Kid. that was where the Muppet who was Bad Bart in the others western segments. can't remember how it all went other than he was the fastest alphebet writer in the west or something and wrote the whole alphabet on the town easel for everyone. if it's not the oldest it must me 1 of them because it looks like it was done in the early 70s.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Alphabet Kid - is a cowboy who can write the alphabet faster than anyone else. He writes it on a large sheet of paper, with the help of an old-west piano soundtrack and speeding up the film.
At the end he was called the "Fastest crayon in the west"

Bad Bart - In the saloon, they are looking for 5 good men to capture Bad Bart. Several times they count out the men in a row. Turns out they actually had 4 good men, and one bad one. Bad Bart was among them all along.

Bad Bart-surprise - Bad Bart announces he has a surprise for the leading lady, and sternly convinces the other men not to warn her. When the lady does show up, the surprise turns out to be a birthday cake, complete with lit candles. Bart even gets a kiss!

Sinister Sam - based on the Fat Blue Muppet, Sinister Sam wants to see the doctor because he has an "itchy trigger finger". He demands to know the occupation of everyone in the saloon, until he finds the physician. At which point he asks the doctor to stop his finger from itching. "It's driving me nuts! Do you have some kind of lotion or something...?" The doc faints.

The Great Cookie Thief - A wanted poster with Cookie Monster in a cowboy hat describes the creature who's been stealing all the cookies from the bakeries in the east. Although CM is standing next to the poster, the saloon boys try to identify him feature by feature. When they confront CM, he quickly draws a mustache on the poster and denies who he is. But alas, he had cookies stashed under his hat, so "bye-bye".
Note on this one. On Noggin, he said "no hard feelings" and took off his hat. But is it possible in the original, the Sheriff or whoever said "Would you mind taking off your hat" first? Could be my memory playing tricks on me.

Jack of all trades - There was one guy in that western town who had about a dozen occcupations. So many, in fact, that he sometimes forgot which was which. One customer came in and wanted to see the dentist, but the man kept asking the wrong questions. He may have asked "How short do you want your hair today?" if he was also the town's barber. I think he said "Dentist. Is that the guy who delivers you your letters?" "No, that's when you're the mailman." Finally, the customer demonstrates by checking the "dentist's" teeth. He even gave practical advice about brushing your teeth and such.

Cowboy X - an animated feature about a cowboy who stamped X's all over the town. When a lady politely asked him to stop, he agreed to be "Cowboy O" instead. This is not to be confused with a short letter sketch where a guy took a branding iron to a cow or horse and said "Brand, X".

maxdrive

Reaction score
Wasnt there one where there was a group of cowboys who would read there was a song with it

mikebennidict

Reaction score
yes. they were readersof the open range. this was a more newer segment from the 80s i think.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I remember another one where either Bad Bart or Sinister Sam came in and said 'Someone took the last box of crayons and I wanna know Y." When he caught the culprit. He showed him how to draw the letter Y.

PiLfan

Reaction score
this is kind of a western....it has some muppet standing atop a cliff of a mountain range in the desert, where he's talking to the camera about 'echoes'.

but everytime he yells into the void, the echo comes back in Spanish. (he'd yell, "ONE!"...and the voice would echo back "UNO!"...and so on).

in frustration, the muppet tosses his cowboy hat over the cliff...and a mexican sombrero is thrown back at him.

incidentally...the voice of the spanish echo sounds a lot like Luis.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Hmmm. That one sounds familiar. I think I remember it. And I'm guessing it was Emillo Delago (Luis) who did the voice over. After all, I have seen cartoons on the show with voice-overs by Maria (Sonia Monzano) and Gordon (Roscoe Orman).

mikebennidict

Reaction score
yeah that had to have been him. it's kind of funny. when i saw that, while i wasn't terribly confused, didn't know what an echo was, looking back now, we see how strange it is for 1 of yell across the mountains and not only to have your echo yell back in a different language but to sound differnt than the the actual person who's yelling and in this case i figure it was someone else, Luis of course.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i also wonder if some of these western skits were based on any movies or TV shows such as Marshal Grover and his Wonder Horse Fred?