The Disney Deal: One Year Later

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It was one year ago on February 17 that news broke that Disney was buying the Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House.

How do you think things are going? What is your favorite thing Disney has done with the Muppets so far? What is your least favorite?

Here's a look back at a year ago today...

Disney buys Jim Henson's Muppets and Bear
http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2004/021704.shtml

Henson employees receive e-mail about Disney deal
http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2004/021804.shtml

A New Era: Disney's Muppets
http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/editorials/disneys_muppets.shtml

Coming to Terms with Life after Jim
http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/editorials/disneys_muppets2.shtml

Trapped in the Magic Kingdom
http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/editorials/disneys_muppets3.shtml

beaker

Reaction score
Aw, it has been one year later. Some may say it was the day JHC sold out to a sinking ship Eisner and the day our collective Muppet dreams of rebirth were squahshed, some may say it was the beginning of a new era. I myself am not feeling any butterflies or joy or anything at the moment Muppet related, cept going back and looking at old tapes and what not. Jim Hill wrote a closer look article at the future for Disney's Muppets and I had to agree with a lot of what he said. This is not going to be the glorious 50th annivesary we all hoped for, but instead miscues and directions a lot of us arent going to like...mixed in with the usual commercials and talk show appearences to keep us happy.

I'm hoping someone, anyone...Secretsquirrel, Luke, etc can help shine some positive light and give us something to be excited about.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
So what has Disney done in their first year (please correct me if I missed something)?

- Formed the Muppet Holding Co. and got situated and acquainted with the Muppets.

- They Re-launched Muppets.com

- They put the Muppets on a bunch of TV shows & ads (Saturday Night Live, Disney Christmas Parade, Good Morning America, Pizza Hut, Dr. Pepper, The Apprentice...)

- They released some new Muppet clothing on DisneyDirect.com and Zazzle.com

- They produced a "reality-parody" special (unsure if we'll ever see it though)

- They are apparently working on Muppet Show DVD box sets due sometime in the future (and possibly other DVDs, but are very hush-hush on their plans). They also did some work on Bear in the Big Blue House DVD's/VHS's.
- There are rumors of work on projects for the Walt Disney theme parks.

- The continued to support and produce The Muppets Wizard of Oz (which was in the works before the deal)

- The supported other already in progress Muppet works (US postage stamps, final series of Paladise toys...)

So far they've done nothing to make me mad, but so far I've seen nothing that overly excited me (compaired to other years) either; but all the TV apperiances were a lot of fun! In the first year a lot of things went into the works, and I think in the coming year(s) I will be very happy as a new movie (Wizard of Oz), DVDs (TMS season sets?), and more are released. For a first year owning a franchise like the Muppets they did a good job, and I think it was as bad as many make it out to be (let's see what happens when Henson's agreement to oversee Disney's work with the Muppet is over and Disney is on their own).

christyb

Reaction score
Don't Read if You're Pessimistic about the sale!!!

You'll soon see why I wrote that. I'm like GelflingWaldo. I'm excited and can't wait for the things to come. Yes Disney isn't releasing news as fast as I would like it to but it's a good lesson in patience. The sale brought a new hope in something that was dying. Lemme repeat dying people. Let's face it. Henson Co. (as much as I would like them to) can't handle the Muppets like we would like them to. They are not the power they once was. I look forward to see what Disney does with the Muppets but also what Henson Co. does now that they aren't dealing with solely with the Muppets. Both companies have had great pasts and the future is bright. There is a silver-lining on that cloud that some people see. All's good and I'm growing antsy in waiting for Wizard of Oz. So I say hurry up May and the Season Box set release!!!!!!

Erine81981

Reaction score
I'm loving it and I really don't have anything that they did do that brought me down. I'm glad and I hope they keep it up. GO DISNEY AND HENSON WORKSHOP!!!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
So far so good; that "Trapped in the Magic Kingdom" story is pretty harsh though.

Xela

Reaction score
Well, I for one, am pretty okay with it. I am glad that they are getting more attention and stuff. Disney really could have messed things up, but they didn't.

Here's hoping they do a good job this year too! :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
In the beginning I was a grumble over the Mouse owning the Frog, but now that I've seen what can happen I'm happy to see them there. I figure, though, within 5-7 years things may go downhill some. Disney is like that: A kid with a new toy and then turn all ho-hum about it. However, the Frog has been more in the spotlight lately, and Disney actually has updated and created a website that is awesome!

I think things are working out fine, and I'm excited to see what else can come of it!

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
February 17, 2004, was a day I was (sorta) waiting for for years. Disney bought the Muppets, as I had eagerly wanted them to do for years. But more shockingly, Henson sold the Muppets TO Disney. After the EM.TV sale, long auction, and eventual family buyback, this was the last thing I expected waking up the evening of one year ago.

To me, it was a good business move and the start of good business moves. Henson sold the Muppets to Disney and they are beginning to get more in the spotlight, slowly but surely. Henson signed a distribution deal with HIT Entertainment not long after and look where we are with the Fraggles and other Henson franchises.

After the botched relationships with ABC, Sony Pictures, Odyssey, and of course EM.TV, it's nice to see Henson making smart decisions that, so far, seem to be paying off, especially regarding their classic properties. Even if one of them had to be sold.

The lingo will never be the same. It's no longer a Jim Henson Company that you could just call "The Muppets" or "The Muppet people" for short. It's strange, but it'll do. I'm optimistic about the road ahead.

I still kinda wish Disney had bought the whole company though. Who knows, maybe one day we'll have another saga. :wink: