Bert and Ernie go around the world in 2005

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Sesame Workshop and National Geographic Kids are working together to create a one-hour, prime-time family special. The two globally respected powerhouses will send Bert and Ernie on Globe-trotting Adventure in 2005!

Sesame Street residents Bert and Ernie are about to embark on one of their biggest adventures ever; a one-hour, prime-time, comedy-adventure special. Developed for a family audience, the special will star Bert and Ernie in a rollicking on-the-road adventure that finds the pair on several continents, celebrating the unique cultures they experience along the way. The special was conceived due to the positive response from the Sesame Street segment “Global Grover,” which supports Sesame Workshop’s cultural diversity initiative.

The special will include on-location shoots in South America and Africa, and has a targeted premiere date during the fourth quarter of 2005 and a home video to follow. National Geographic Kids’ Group and Sesame Workshop are currently exploring broadcast outlets for the one-hour program in the U.S. and abroad.

“National Geographic has an unequaled history of introducing people of all ages to the world beyond their door,” said Karen Gruenberg (Vice President of Sesame Workshop). “We look forward to collaborating on a unique program that will invite children and families on a global adventure that celebrates cultural diversity and builds geographic literacy. Sesame Workshop has a long history of providing content towards creating a global community.”

Official Press Release: http://www.sesameworkshop.org/aboutus/inside_press.php?contentId=12423059

ssetta

Reaction score
It would be nice if they used some inserts from the show, and made it seem like they were part of the special, such as the one with the Egyptian pyramid, and the one in the jungle with Dr. Livingston.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
ssetta said:
It would be nice if they used some inserts from the show, and made it seem like they were part of the special, such as the one with the Egyptian pyramid, and the one in the jungle with Dr. Livingston.
That could be cool. Or at least add them as extras on the DVD release.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Muppetsdownunder said:
Are they coming to Australia? and will there be a DVD release?
Not certin if they will be heding down under in the special, but it is possible. Right now all we know is South America and S. Africa are going to be in it. But based on the nature of the program I think Europe, Asia, and Australia would also be part of the special too.

They are planning a homve videe (VHS & DVD) release of the special after it airs on TV. Not sure of international versions of the special will be released.

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
Wow!!! That is one of the coolest things I've heard in a long time. I love Bert and Ernie and its great to see them getting there own special. Its about time. It seems like Sesame Street has gone all things Elmo these days. I would like to see more of the classic characters. Not that there is anything wrong with Elmo, I like him. But I was very disappointed that Bert and Ernie had no speaking roles in Elmo saves Chrismas.

zanimum

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Not sure of international versions of the special will be released.
That would be interesting, if they filmed international variants of the same specials. Say, Hu Hu Zhu and Little Plum from China, traveling to those countries, Zeliboba, Businka and Kubik, from Russia...

When was the last on-location special? There were spots in that New Year's special, around 1996 or so. Otherwise was Hawaii the last special, or China...

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
zanimum said:
When was the last on-location special? There were spots in that New Year's special, around 1996 or so. Otherwise was Hawaii the last special, or China...
Sesame Street specials when the characters have travled out side of New York are (please correct me if I forgot some) Big Bird in China, Big Bird in Japan, Sesame Street in Puerto Rico, Follow that Bird, and The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland (if Grouchland is outside of NY). There have also been some episdoes of the show where they left NY (they went to Hawii; Bert and Ernie were in the Jungle and Egypt; and more.)

Effralyo

Reaction score
GLARK, SOMEBODY MENTIONED ZELIBOBA???????????????
<luv,luv,luv,luv,luv,luv,luv,luv him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>

Drtooth

Reaction score
WOW... this is exciting news, and I am looking forward to seeing it. Is there any word on them meeting up with international chracters? I found the New Year's eve special very interresting. We got to see more international characters, and had the muppets sort of interract with them. Though I am kinda disappointed that they didn't show any Mexican characters, just Elmo's ehem... Mexican cousin.