The Christmas Toy & Secret Life of Toys on DVD!

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score

I recently E-mailed a bunch of my friends at HIT! Entertainment about the possibility of a DVD release of “The Christmas Toy” and the subsequent TV Show, “The Secret Life of Toys”. Here is what I sent to them,
Dear HIT Entertainment,

The television show "Jim Henson's The Secret Life of Toys" was one of the most entertaining shows I ever saw, and I would adore seeing a complete collection of all 13 episodes of "Jim Henson's The Secret Life of Toys" on the DVD format along with the holiday special "The Christmas Toy". I'm sure all the parties involved would want the show and special properly re-released to the public, and recognize a great marketplace for it.

"Jim Henson's The Secret Life of Toys" and "The Christmas Toy" were delightful productions that featured a wonderful look at what our toys do when we're not around. The show is excellent for all ages, from little children to adults. "The Secret Life of Toys" has touched the lives of so many people; millions of people grew-up with the show, and to be able to see the show again would make thousands of fans smile with joy.

"The Christmas Toy", the special that the TV show was based off, is one of my favorite holiday movies and has all the charm and magic of the TV show. I can not imagine a holiday with out watching it, but sadly my old VHS tapes are wearing out and in a few years I may be unable to share this classic with my family and friends; unless a proper DVD release is created.

It's been over 19-years since "The Christmas Toy" was first shown, and over 10-years since "The Secret Life of Toys" premiered on TV; yet today fans are still excited by any news about the show and are eager to share their memories and feelings. I hope that HIT Entertainment and The Jim Henson Company can work together to create a great DVD collection for the existing fans of "Jim Henson's The Secret Life of Toys" and "The Christmas Toy", and possibly build a new generation of fans. Please release the 13 episodes of the classic TV show and the Christmas special "The Christmas Toy" on DVD so the fans can again celebrate the magical life of the toys again. Thank you for your time and consideration. Please keep the magic alive, and let the world enjoy the secret life of toys again.

Quickly I got a response, and it was full of some general good news. Here is the repsonce I got from Simon Forrest, the Director of Corporate Communications and Investor Relations for HIT Entertainment. He sent me the following:
Thanks for your comments. We are already on the case! You should be able to expect good things in the coming year with regards to this issue.
- Simon Forrest

It sounds like HIT! may already have plans for a DVD releases for the Toys! Hopefully by next Christmas we’ll see some products released.
:smile:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
That does sound like good news, hopefully its true.

I wonder who would be the company incharge of DVDs of this show aswell as fraggle rock in Australia because I'd like to get intouch with them to see if theres any chance of any releases in Australia.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
"The Secret Life of Toys" and "The Christmas Toy" are part of the Henson Family Showcase. The Jim Henson Company owns the shows and special, and currently HIT! Entertainment has the distribution rights (until 2009). Disney does not have a hand in the ownership of these.

There were a few rumors that in "The Christmas Toy" special, the opening and closing narrations by Kermit would be edited out or replaced due to conflict with Disney's ownership. But their has been no official word one way or another if that was true and Kermit will be gone; or if just some fans making broad asumptions after the deal with Disney.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I hope they leave Kermit in, but the broad assumption is probably correct. Disney will probably not let Kermit's image be distributed outside of their own deals.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Allow me to briefly get only slightly off topic: Does is frustrate anyone else that Pixar's Toy Story got so much popularity and attention for its theme of toys come to life and the consequences of being caught out of place, when The Christmas Toy introduced the concept a decade earlier and with a far more heartfelt story and characters? Sure, it can be argued that Johnny Gruelle's Raggedy Ann and Andy dealt with the issue of living toys before either of them, and toys coming to life has been a popular aspect of mythology for generations, but no one has ever developed the concept as perfectly and sweetly as the Muppets. I guess this argument is about ten years outdated since Toy Story came out in '95 (I may be off by a year), but with Christmas just a day away it kinda got brought to mind. Plus it comes back to my frustration over CGI characters pushing puppetry (let alone the Muppets) out of the pop culture spotlight. So this Christmas as cable channels rerun Toy Story I and II and Disney rushes to complete Toy Story III without the input of Pixar, let's not forget The Christmas Toy, a tender and terrific little story and the ultimate toys come alive show that all others should be judged by.

Violia

Reaction score
Infinity Sirius said:
I hope they leave Kermit in, but the broad assumption is probably correct. Disney will probably not let Kermit's image be distributed outside of their own deals.
Kermit was left in "Follow that Bird".

Rugby

Reaction score
Awesome email you sent, GelfingWaldo! You really put into words so eloquently what I could not. Thank you! But, but, BUT.....if they don't leave Kermit in The Christmas Toy DVD release, it would ruin the whole thing for me. Didn't they leave Kermit in the special in the Region 2 DVD release of The Christmas Toy that was released with Muppet Family Christmas?

The email you received certainly does sound like great news. Much better than the response I got, which I believe is the same response you initially got the first time you emailed them about this. I have never seen The Secret Life of Toys, so to get those episodes on DVD would be awesome!