Gloria Globe

Purple

Reaction score
Does anyone rember the song I am the world sang by Gloria Globe?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahem, if you'll allow me, there needs to be some untangling done.

The song "I Am the World" was a live-action film segment from the 1980's, sung by Alaina Reed-Hall who played Olivia. Then again, I might be mistaken and it could've been sung by some other person. This song was done like a winding riddle, to be answered at the end with the title "I Am the World".

Gloria Globe was an animated segment from the late 1980's, that kept getting rerun in the early 1990's. To my knowledge, there were three sketches.
Gloria Glove Sketch 1: She helps a kangaroo return to its home in Australia.
Gloria Globe Sketch 2: She helps a camel return to its home in Egypt.
*This was done by her spinning round to the nation of said animals, who would then jump into the nation itself inside Gloria Globe.
Gloria Globe Sketch 3: She was trying to find the rabbit for her magic trick.
These were short animated segments, and I'd like it if they brought her back with new segments to supplement Global Grover.
Twouldst be better than that Globalinki crud they have, and Gloria Globe would be something we could all understand. It could also replace Matelinka, which I feel should be given its own independent program.
Hope this helps and have a good day.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
The Count said:
Twouldst be better than that Globalinki crud they have, and Gloria Globe would be something we could all understand. It could also replace Matelinka, which I feel should be given its own independent program.
Hope this helps and have a good day.
That's "Global Thingy" and "Madlenka", Count. :wink:

There was another one I remember where she was supposed to sing, but felt awful because she was contaminated. Once the litter was cleaned off her, she sang. But that's all I remember.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks MuppetDude. Yes, I remember the one you speak of, now that you posted it. But the ones I liked better were the ones with the animals, cause at least there it was showing a little bit of international culture in matching up the country with the animal.

Madelenka isn't terrible, I just feel that it doesn't quite completely fit with SS. Maybe if they gave it its own space to develop via a show, then maybe I'd warm up to the concept a little more.
As for Global Thingy, I personally hate that one. It makes no sense to those of us who are watching by listening, and I'm not sure if it makes sense to those who are actually watching the bits. Would axe that segment in a heartbeat and replace it with more and newer Gloria Globe segments to supplement Global Grover.
Either that, or go the route of JTE when it was first conceived. By that, I mean that they could have a classic Grover or monster segment after Global Grover.
Sorry for the rant, thanks for listening, and have a good day.