TMS Outline- Groucho Marx!

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
This one was near completion, just needed a plot and some details. Special thanks to Kim for letting me bounce ideas off her. So without further ado:

"It's The Muppet Show, with our very special guest star Mr. Groucho Marx! Waaah!"

SPECIAL GUEST STAR: Groucho Marx

STYLE: Early second season (circa Don Knotts, Zero Mostel episodes)

Cold opening: Sweetums gives Groucho a cigar- a BIG cigar.

Groucho: “You know, I could smoke this cigar for the rest of my life, which, if I’m doing this show, could be a matter of minutes.”

OPENING THEME:
S & W: W: “Remember, this time wake me when it’s over.”
Gonzo: Bubble gum comes out of the trumpet

OPENING NUMBER: “A Bicycle Built for Two”- Scooter sings to his girl on their bicycle, but he crashes the bike at the end.

Waldorf: "Tell me Statler, did you ever own a bicycle built for two?"

Statler: "Yeah, but I never went for a ride on it."

Waldorf: "Really? How come?"

Statler: "There was no room once my wife got on!"

S & W: "Ha ha ha ha ha!"

BACKSTAGE: Kermit is trying to locate the duck.

Kermit: “We need that duck for the end of the show.”

Fozzie (walking by, overhearing): “Why a duck?”

Kermit: “Fozzie, do not start!”

Fozzie: “What did I say?”

SONG: “Peasie Weasie”- Groucho sings, accompanied by Rowlf

Statler: “That Groucho Marx is a fine singer!”

Waldorf: “Well, so am I, Statler! You want to hear me sing?”

Statler: “Only if you’ve got a falsetto voice.”

Waldorf: “No, but I’ve got a false set of teeth! Ha ha ha!”

THE SWEDISH CHEF: shish kebob

BACKSTAGE: Kermit wards off Miss Piggy by talking circles around her like Groucho to Margaret Dumont, insulting her without her knowledge. She leaves, confused.

Kermit (to camera): “I saw Groucho do that to Margaret Dumont in one of their movies last night.”

Piggy comes back and karate chops him.

Kermit (to camera): “That part, however, was not in the original exchange.”

He faints.

AT THE DANCE

UK SPOT: “That Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze” (TMS circus set)

TALK SPOT: Groucho talks to Sam the Eagle, and like all straight-laced types he’s run into, Groucho insults and talks circles around him

Groucho: “You know, you’ve got a lot of gall. Well you can take all of Gaul, and Mesopotamia too for all I care. You know I could make better use out of you with stuffing and cranberry sauce?”

SKETCH: Gonzo recites from the works of Byron while building a bunk bed (blindfolded!)

DRESSING ROOM: The Muppets are piling in to talk to Groucho, until the room is full a la the ‘stateroom’ scene in “A Night at the Opera”.

SONG: “Everyone Says I Love You”- Rowlf plays piano and sings, backed up by Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter and Floyd

Waldorf: "Ah, wonderful! Wonderful. I remember the Marx Brothers each performing that song in the movie 'Horse Feathers'. You know Statler, I've always wondered about that title. I mean, how is it that a horse has feathers?"

Statler: "How is it that you're not in a retirement home yet?"

Waldorf (mutters): "Old buzzard."

CLOSING NUMBER: “Hooray for Captain Spaulding”- Groucho with Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, Baskerville the Hound, Lenny the Lizard, Boppity and Gloat, Wayne & Wanda, and some tropical birds in a sort of mansion drawing room set, like in the movie "Animal Crackers".

Curtain: All the Muppets are wearing Groucho glasses. Groucho enters.

Groucho: “Thank you Kermit. You know, this show begs one question: unfortunately, the answer is you’re putting the show on, and my agent was putting me on, but I found that out too late.”

Groucho, Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter and Gloat gather in front of the curtain.

Statler: “Boo!”

Waldorf: “Hiss!”

Statler: “Awful!”

‘Awful’ turns out to be the secret word, so the duck drops down.

Statler: "We must have said the secret word!"

Waldorf: “What did we get? Money?”

Duck: “No, two tickets to next week’s show!”

S & W: “Oh no!”

Drop me your comments.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Coming soon (as long as you take the word "soon" with a grain of salt):

The Muppet Show, with special guest star TIM CONWAY!

(Princeton, don't touch Tim Conway; he's mine. Back off, this is a warning! :mad: )

(But no, seriously, I kid. :wink: :big_grin: )

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Tim Conway is one of my favs. too. I wish I had the patience to write a show plot.If I could choose the guest stars,mine would be my favs./idols: Jerry Lewis,Mel Brooks,Cher,Jim Henson himself,Meryl Streep,Bette Midler,Dean Martin,Dick Shawn;a lot of the classic giants like Orson Wells,James Dean,Marlon Brando,etc... Keep up the good work David.:smile:

P

Philip Kippel

Gorgon Heap said:
AT THE DANCE
Which muppets are in this "At the Dance" sketch?

UK SPOT: “That Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze” (TMS circus set)
Which muppets appear in this number?

DRESSING ROOM: The Muppets are piling in to talk to Groucho, until the room is full a la the ‘stateroom’ scene in “A Night at the Opera”.
Which muppets pile in?

CLOSING NUMBER: “Hooray for Captain Spaulding”- Groucho with Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, Baskerville the Hound, Lenny the Lizard, Boppity and Gloat, Wayne & Wanda, and some tropical birds in a sort of mansion drawing room set, like in the movie "Animal Crackers".
Which specific birds appear in this number?

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
That's all vary good, Philip, but what did you think of the outlines themselves?

GH, I have been a long-time admirer of your work, and I hope you never get descouraged.

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
Philip Kippel said:
Which muppets are in this "At the Dance" sketch?
Zelda Rose with Droop, Ohboy Bird (the blue one) with Youknow Bird (the pink one), Kermit with Miss Mousey, a duck-billed woman with a blue Whatnot, and Shakey Sanchez with a Whatnot girl wearing a pink sweater.

Philip Kippel said:
Which muppets appear in this number?
Some Whatnots.

Philip Kippel said:
Which muppets pile in?
Kermit, Rowlf, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, and others.

Philip Kippel said:
Which specific birds appear in this number?
Ohboy Bird and Youknow Bird

P

Philip Kippel

Fragglemuppet said:
That's all vary good, Philip, but what did you think of the outlines themselves?
I love them! They're awesome and very well written.:smile:

As I stated in a previous post, I think that GH would've made a great writer for "The Muppet Show".

So, GH, keep up the good work and, as always, I look forward to your next Muppet Show outline.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the compliments, Philip.

As to your questions, in this outline I never decided which Muppets appear in those sketches. I could go back and flesh it out at some point but don't hold your breath for it- writing is one of the few avenues of my life in which I'm always looking forward, sometimes so much that I neglect to finish the writings I start (see my as-of-yet unfinished screenplay.)