Fraggle DVD coming this summer in the US

Let HIT know how much would you would pay for a 24-episode Fraggle season box set.

• I'd pay up to $39 per box set

Votes: 39 39.4%
  • I'd pay up to $59 per box set

Votes: 35 35.4%
  • I'd pay $79 or higher for a box set

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • I wouldn't buy a box set at any price

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As the rumors have been discussed over the past few weeks, it is true that HIT is testing the market with a two-episode Fraggle DVD. The DVD will include episode 1 "Beginnings" and episode 3 "Let the Water Run".

More two-episode discs are likely or if the sales are good enough, a season box set is possible down the road. Find out the details and then vote in the above poll to let us know what you think about this release.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2004/061804.shtml

Also, this story was released yesterday which will likely have a direct reflection on Fraggle sales, Wal-Mart is cutting shelf space for home entertainment products, specifically children's DVD's and videos. This counts for 42% of HIT's total sales. The below article estimates that Wal-Mart could return up to 3 million HIT video products.
HIT blow as Wal-Mart cuts space for products

By Tim Burt in London
Published: June 17 2004 22:25 | Last Updated: June 17 2004 22:25

Wal-Mart, the US mass market retailer, on Thursday told HIT Entertainment that it was cutting shelf space for home entertainment products - a mainstay of HIT's sales - sending shares in the UK animation group down 28.3 per cent.

HIT shares fell 83p to 210p after the animation group behind Bob the Builder and Barney the Dinosaur issued its first profits warning.

Wal-Mart's decision is also expected to affect other producers of children's videos including Walt Disney, Sony Pictures and Warner Brothers.

HIT said profits for the year ending July 31 would be 15 to 20 per cent below expectations following the move, which could see Wal-Mart return 3m unsold videos or six months' stock to the British company.

Industry analysts had previously forecast pre-tax profits of £40.7m ($74m) for the current financial year, compared with £39.7m last time.

HIT refused to confirm Wal-Mart was the retailer at the centre of the profits warning. But it admitted the issue would "have a negative impact on current trading and returns".

Rob Lawes, chief executive, said: "Despite this disappointing development, HIT remains a highly profitable company with one of the strongest portfolios of young children's properties and a strong home entertainment release schedule in the months ahead."

The setback follows a concerted drive by HIT to increase its presence in the US, which already accounts for 60 per cent of its total sales.

Earlier this month the company confirmed plans to take a stake in a new digital channel aimed at pre-school children. The company also secured global distribution rights recently for Henson Family Classics - part of the Jim Henson Company from which HIT was formed in the late 1980s.

The reduction in shelf space at Wal-Mart will affect HIT's home entertainment division, accounting for 42 per cent of total sales.

Officials warned there was little visibility on the impact for sales and profits in the next financial year.

The company is expected to set aside an unquantified provision for unsold home entertainment products.

Analysts said that, at worst, on Thursday's warning would wipe £8m off this year's profits. But uncertainty would continue during the next 12 months until Wal-Mart clarified its plans.

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1087373088517

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
HIT also does Barney?? EGADS! The connection I've always feared!!

heh heh...

I'd pay a big price for a complete episode dvd box set no doubt, but if you're talking about one dvd per season, the first option of the poll isn't bad at all.

wembleyfraggle

Reaction score
I just recieved this e-mail from HIT Entertainment!

Thank you for your recent inquiry on Fraggle Rock. HIT Entertainment is pleased to announce the release of Fraggle Rock Where It All Began on VHS/DVD. You will be able to purchase this title at Wal-Mart at the end of July. You may also visit our webstore at the end of July to order directly from our company. www.hitstoreusa.com

Thank you for your interest in HIT Entertainment.

Kris
HIT Entertainment Consumer Relations
:smirk: :excited: July Baby!!!! At Walmart!!!!
Tyler

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you think of the episode choices for the DVD, "Beginnings" and "Let the Water Run"? Interesting that they skipped over episode 2, "Wembley and the Gorgs".

wembleyfraggle

Reaction score
I like the choice but they should have done 1-3 not just 1 and 3! I'm excited to see the cover art!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Cool! I know I'm buying in hopes that more will be oncoming!

Foodie

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
What do you think of the episode choices for the DVD, "Beginnings" and "Let the Water Run"? Interesting that they skipped over episode 2, "Wembley and the Gorgs".
I'd prefer that they were in order but maybe they felt that the gorgs were to un-refined in that episode so they decided to hold off on releasing it. Ma looks awful in the first 13 episodes.

So, is Wal*Mart the only place carrying this particular DVD?
:smirk:

Nick

Wembley

Reaction score
Don't worry. If anyone wants, I can pick up copies at WM and ship 'em out to the non-us folks, or to anyone who'se walmart does not stock them. I live near a Super Walmart and they have a huge area full of HIT stuff.

-Rick

BabyBeanBunny

Reaction score
Sweet Mercy! They should just go with a DVD season, but just one DVD at a time, it would be great! Hurray!!!

But I hope it'll be available in Canada. I'm still rather disappointed that I can't get the remaining Muppet Show Discs.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Foodie said:
I'd prefer that they were in order but maybe they felt that the gorgs were to un-refined in that episode so they decided to hold off on releasing it.
That couldn't be the reason. The Gorgs look the same in both episodes 2 and 3. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.