Sesame Street Unpaved intermissions

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i'm sure this was brought up in the past but did anyone ever find out why Noggin put intermissions in betweent hem along with the other CTW shows and why they were edited?

Mark The Shark

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
i'm sure this was brought up in the past but did anyone ever find out why Noggin put intermissions in betweent hem along with the other CTW shows and why they were edited?
I don't know if anyone *specifically* ever addressed that question as it pertained to Noggin, but I do know that in today's television climate, one of the big important things (according to TV executives) is what they call "branding," which means to make sure that there can never be any question of what network someone is watching, even to the point of sticking their flipping logo bug in the corner for the entire duration of a show, which inspires great frustration in me and a strong desire to slap them silly. But that's one of the "official party line" explanations. I think the real reason for the "logo bugs" is to ruin any home recordings of the shows, so it will be immediately obvious where they came from. But that's another topic.

But anyway, they want to have something come on every so often just to ram it down your throat that you're watching *our network,* make no mistake about it, even if there aren't any commercials.

Also, I would be willing to bet you that those SSU and TEC episodes, and all the rest, were edited and formatted the way they were so they could be made available to cable and satellite networks *in general,* not just specifically to be aired *only* on Noggin. They were probably put together *with Noggin in mind* since their current project was launching Noggin, but I definitely believe this was done with the intent of "reusability," so the shows could be aired anywhere, and that means possibly on a network which did have commercials. (I'm talking about hypothetical use down the road, should there come a day when Noggin wouldn't be around or wouldn't be running the shows any more...kind of like now.) Even though Noggin was jointly owned by Viacom and CTW, as I understand it, Noggin still would have to have *licenses* and *contracts* to run these shows a certain number of times over a certain period of time.