Henson Stitch

puppet builder

Reaction score
Does anyone know the specifics (machine settings) of the Henson Stitch? I've read a number of times that Don Sahlin created a stitch that renders a seam virtually invisible. I just haven't homed in on the proper stitch type and density yet. Saving time would be appreciated!

Thanks!
puppet builder

Treelo

Reaction score
Ditch the sewing machine - the "Henson Stitch" is done by hand, and it takes forever.

Without revealing specifics, I suggest you experiment with a few different stitches and see what works for you.

If you need to conserve as much time as possible, hand stitch the visible areas of the puppet and send the rest through your machine.

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
The Henson Stitch does take quite some time. I only use it on the head and on the hands and arms. Good Luck!

Sir Didymus

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
For a long time, I believed that there was no "Henson Stitch" and figure it was just a myth, like the Loch Ness Monster or Compassionate Republicans*, designed to throw the casual puppet maker off the real "secret" Antron fleece.

But alas Virginia, there is a Henson stitch. Took us years to discover it on our own (we thought we were very clever until an ex-Muppet builder told us they had been doing it forever) so I'm not spilling the goods.

Don't use a machine, experiment with various hand stitches until you find one that works well for you!

--------------------------------------
*No offence was intended to any real compassionate Republicans, if such a thing indeed exists. :smile:

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Oh come on.... someone just tell him how to do it already.

rickly

Reaction score
The myth of a magical "Henson Stitch" is pretty much just that - a myth. Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise. A good stitch for hand-sewing fleece is what is frequently referred to as a baseball stitch. It is particularly successful with fleece and fur fabrics because it creates a stitch which is sort of zig-zaggy, not hard and straight like a sewing machine will make (side note: many people who make puppets for Henson don't even USE the "Henson Stitch" - they use teeny tiny little whip stitches, which are also very successful). While it is no mystery, it IS hard to describe verbally. With the RIGHT sides of the fabric together, push your threaded needle into the RIGHT side of one of the pieces of fabric, close to the edge between the two facing sides, so it comes out the WRONG side. Now loop the needle around towards where the two pieces come together, and again, push it into the RIGHT side of the opposite piece of fabric so it comes out the WRONG side. Three warnings: the stitches have to be very close to the edge of the fabric, but not so close that the edge will ravel; the stitches have to be fairly small; and the tension of the stitches has to be consistent or you will end up with a messy-looking seam. It is certainly MUCH slower than whip-stitching. It is also usually necessary to pick the fleece/fur fibers out of the seam and trim away any errant, over-long fibers.

So there.

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
To Rick Lyon

Rick,
The "Henson Stitch" is not a Myth. Dave Goelz taught me how to do it. I've had times where Its turned out so well, that the seams are almost invisible. So it is not a Myth. Just thought you'd like to know that.

Jake Lockman

Sir Didymus

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hiya,

My understanding of the "Henson Stitch" was tiny, tight stitches, and too much extra material on the wrong side of the cloth is clipped away by scissors and then the seam pulled open but not apart and then the 'fuzz' is picked out of the seam.

I did this on a monster puppet of mine and it worked...but he has WAY ON YONDER shaggy fur.

I stitched Muley by hand, and for the most part seams are invisible in some places in person, but on tv or photos, it's very un-noticeable.

Yep, Henson needs me!! CALL ME OUT FOLKS!!

FOZ

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
Fozz,
You have the idea. You have to have material that is thick because you can't do it on thin material. I was just trying to convince Rick that it's not a "Myth". Because he keeps telling everyone "The Henson Stitch is a Myth", when its not.

Sir Didymus