Emilio Delgado

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i never heard of him being a professional musician but besides playing guitar, i rememeber some episodes were he was playing and singing in a band. 1 was a 70s episode were he and his band were performing in his shop and another time in an episode probably about 1980 were they're performing a song in some N.Y.C. neighborhood. anyone rememebr those?

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
I don't ever remember seeing Luis in a band, but on the other hand I was born in the early 80's so this may have been just a little bit before my time.

Chris Gawley

Reaction score
I never saw Emilio (AKA- "Luis") in a band, but I did see him in several episodes of "The Rockford Files" as a Hispanic gang/background character.

In one particular episode, James Garner enters a Hispanic bar and encites a brawl, in which Emilio participates. During the brawl, Emilio charges Garner, And if you watch his mouth closely, you clearly see Emilio mouth the words: "You son of a b....."!

While I'll always love him, I could never look at Luis the same way after that!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Who cares if he cussed on some other TV show? That The Fockford Files not SS.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Who cares if he cussed on some other TV show? That The Rockford Files not SS.
I'm also a bit shocked too. Not like "He shouldn't have done that" but more like "Oh wow. I'm a bit suprised, now I want to see that episode of TRF."

When you establish a certain person/character, it's a little interesting/suprising to see them on something else. Although we know they are just actors/actresses, when you associate them with a show by face or by voice, it's quite interesting to see them somewhere else. Most people act like that.

I've always said when I saw Alan Alda on something else, "Hey! It's Hawkeye!". Because I've associated him with M*A*S*H. The same with the fellow who played "Klinger" was on Diginosious Murder.

It's just a strange habit most people have. XD

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
It is a big deal because most of the kids that grew up with "Luis" are quite shocked to see Luis curse. And of course, since The Rockford Files is usually a pretty clean family show, if kids ever happened to be watching it, their perception of Luis would really be shattered. I'm not sure what contract the Sesame Street human actors and actresses have to sign, but I'm sure this is 1 issue that weighs heavily for them. They have to be very careful not to do anything to besmirch their Sesame Street characters in order to preserve that image for children. :halo:

Cookie fan

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Thought I'd revive this for anyone who hadn't seen it before.
I vaguely remember Luis with the band in the store, but I distinctly recall Luis with a band singing a song with the lyrics: "Alegria means happiness", that was a great song with all the brass instruments. I think apart from Luis doing the vocals, he was strumming the guitar as well. Circa 1980?

Chris Gawley

Reaction score
ReneeLouvier said:
I'm also a bit shocked too. Not like "He shouldn't have done that" but more like "Oh wow. I'm a bit suprised, now I want to see that episode of TRF."

When you establish a certain person/character, it's a little interesting/suprising to see them on something else. Although we know they are just actors/actresses, when you associate them with a show by face or by voice, it's quite interesting to see them somewhere else. Most people act like that.

I've always said when I saw Alan Alda on something else, "Hey! It's Hawkeye!". Because I've associated him with M*A*S*H. The same with the fellow who played "Klinger" was on Diginosious Murder.

It's just a strange habit most people have. XD
Exactly, ReneeLouvier! That's why I made my post!

What drew me to those episodes of TRF, were that it showed Emilio had a broader character range than a SS mainstay (with the exeptions of Will Lee Mr. Hooper), Alaina Reed (Olivia), Paul Benedict (The Painter),& Linda Bove not too many SS characters did anything else on television), & that he was not always cast as the "nice" guy!

Gonzo Leaper, you hit it on the head too!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Roscoe Orman (Gordon since 1973) was also in the movie Big Willie Dynamite (a 1970's blaxploitation film along the same lines as Shaft, Superfly, etc.) and he had quite a bit of vulgar dialogue.

To some impressionable children, it might be quite shocking to see Luis curse.
It was the same feeling I got around 1976, seeing John Travolta, who I knew primarily as Vinnie Barbarino on Welcome Back, Kotter, being featured in Carrie
with Sissy Spacek, and his character did quite a bit of cussing as well.

Someone you're used to seeing in a familiar role, playing a different caracter in a different context, could take a little getting used to when you're younger. But from an actor's point of view, most of them want to expand their repetoire and play different characters, even if it means running the risk of soiling their "clean" image. I think this helps an actor from being typecast as only one character.