Sesame Street albums

mikebennidict

Reaction score
anyone know why for example, the 1st album release. there was a different group of kids singing the SS theme. or the 2 songs wich starts out with Bob singing i've got 2 eyes 12 they're both the same sixe. 12. while i never saw it on tv, there's either might of been a different version of it. the songs somebody come and play and J jump joyful were sung by kids. even listening to the muppet central radio, i probably heard songs either sung by different people or in the case of the exit song by Crisssy and the Alphabet's the record version portrays them in a supermarket and i think some people don't know how to get out where as the tv version they're doing a concert.

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
A lot of the early stuff was recorded at least twice, I'm sure. Once for the TV show, which was recorded in mono, and the album releases were in stereo. Beats me why they couldn't just remix the stuff, but maybe it sounded better when it was re-recorded from scratch.

eric

ssetta

Reaction score
I actually noticed that, too. When they released songs on albums, sometimes they took the original version from the show, and sometimes they re-recorded it. But the album "Signs" was not the original release of "Exit", believe it or not. I think before that, it was released on a 45 along with "Count it Higher." And that song also has 3 different album versions. On the album "Letters and Numbers", it was the full version from the show, but without the crowd, which was re-released for the 5 LP box set "60 Favorite Songs from Sesame Street". Then it was also on "The Count Counts", but it was shortened at the end, because there was a public service announcement. That version was released on something called "25 Great Hits from Sesame Street", a Canadian release, I believe. Then there was the remix for the album "Born to Add". See, I think that sometimes 45s were previously unreleased tracks, but not usually. In fact, I just picked up a copy of the 5 LP box set called "60 Favorite Songs from Sesame Street", and it's great. It actually does have some tracks that were previously unreleased, such as "Danger" and "Proud" by Little Jerry and The Monotones", "What's the Name of That Song" by The Cast", "Special" by Bob, and "What Makes Music" a bunch of different people. But all of those were taken from the TV versions. But I'm wondering if the 45 version of "Exit" was the original version from the show.

Also, I think the album "Signs" was all new material. I think somehow, they realized it would be too hard to put some of them on the record the way they were on the show. The reason why you hear people's voices on "Exit" is because you can't see the people leaving. Same with "Telephone Rock", where you can hear the police officer talking.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
something i forgot to mention. i don't know if the name Todd Graff sounds familliar to anyone here. here was Jessie, 1 of the members of the Short Circus and The Electric Company on the last 2 years of the show. i read on a yahoo group and he sung on 1 or some of the SS album. i don't know witch album or albums.

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
Todd Graff's performances

I'm almost certain that one of Todd Graff's performances was on the album "Fair is Fair"...an overall pretty lame album!

He sings a song called "Too Busy". Hope that helps!

Censored

Reaction score
They also released Sesame Street albums that had non-Sesame Street performers singing songs from the show. The albums were produced by companies like Peter Pan Chorus, Wonderland Records, and even Disneyland Records. It's kind of interesting hearing different voices sing the classic songs, although it's not nearly as good as the originals. Some of the muppet voices of Ernie, Bert, etc. sounded nothing like the real Muppeteers.

pollick529

Reaction score
Yeah, same here. Even early "Sesamstrasse" albums had non-Muppet songs, and the artwork on the cover is often different from the US releases. I had recently saw an LP on eBay that had a ribbon-like writing of I think it was "Lustige Lieder aus der Sesamstrasse", and it had a very scary looking picture of Ernie and Bert on a yellow background. Others just had anti-Sesamstrasse artwork, like the "Unsere Welt" releases where they have drawings of a whole bunch of kids on the cover, and an early Europa release had a whole bunch of animals playing music, and some drawings of kids on the Sesame Street set I think it was, and on the top it said "Der Die Das". I think it was supposed to be a Sesamstrasse album. Nowadays, they use mainly Ernie and Bert on the front cover for their albums and videos, and they use the dubbed Muppet songs for the albums now. Thank God the worst is over! :smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
this thread is here because at 1 time we didn't have all these different sections. I was listewning to MC radio and that song about the letter G where Grover and this AM muppet sings about it and it's sounds. the reecord version compared to the TV one this 1 starts out with George making the G sound that begins his name and Grover wondered why he's doing that. and of course TV version where he says my name begins with G he does make the G sound for his name but Grover is already there sitting besides him on the hill and does the same thing.