How Muley Started Volunteering

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I’ve been asked this several times, so I decided to write about it in a thread all its own. How did I come to volunteer with Muley the Mule (my character) at the Ronald McDonald House.

Back several years ago, I joined in with the Mid-South Cartoonists Association, and am now the Vice-President of said organization. When I first joined, they were doing a cartoon art show and the benefactor of the show was The Ronald McDonald House of Memphis.

Nowadays, my best pal is Lin, and he was President of the club way back then, and he was already volunteering for the RMH, which he discovered through Rock 103’s radio station. Rock 103 DJs Tim Spencer and Bev Hart were both (at some time) on the RMH Board of Directors and Bev is still on the Board today.

As Lin and I became fast friends, I introduced him to Muley the Mule, and then to the comics and puppet versions of the characters, and he invited me to go along with him to volunteer with the RMH at an event. Since that time, I’ve become well acquainted, as has Muley, with the Rock 103 station staff, and with everyone at the RMH to the point that Muley has been named the Official SpokesMule of the Ronald McDonald House of Memphis.

Muley has appeared at the RMH with my best friend, Angela Freeman’s Cardz 4 Kidz, at RMH Birthday Parties, Volunteer Banquets, All the Rock 103/RMH RadioThon events, and Isaac Hayes’ restaurant 2 years in a row to discuss and speak about the RMH over the years, and has appeared at the Big Scoop Ice Cream Festival (an RMH event) in both puppet and costume form, as well as having appeared one 2 local television stations on behalf of the RMH: Fox 13 News where he sang 2 songs and discussed RMH and the Ice Cream Festival, and ABC 24 News where he introduced the Cooper-Young Festival while manning the RMH booth. He’s also appeared on Rock 103’s WakeUP Crew show several times, calling in once in a while to bother them.

He has been Maitre’D at Bosco’s Celebrity Waiter Night, an Unofficial host of the actual RadioThon, and Unofficial Host of the Leather Ball each year.

He has also appeared as Count DracMula at the Nightmarez! Haunted Attractions the past 3 or 4 years, too.

What does this all mean? You don’t get there by not trying. I don’t get paid for any of it, but it’s all volunteer work because I can’t afford the money to donate, so I give my time.

I suggest you check through your local organization that you’re a member of, see how you can create a connection between your organization and either the Ronald McDonald House local to you—or whatever charity it may be—and use that as a route to become a volunteer and help raise money.

If you’re not a member of an organization but, say, a church, set up with your church to go to that charitable organization and maybe cook dinner for the people there sometime, and do your puppet show during that time.

Charitable organizations are always looking for volunteers to help out, so I’m sure if you just simply call and say, “Hey, I got these puppets and I want to do a puppet show,” then you can get in there no doubt.

So, I hope this helps in some way in answering how I started with volunteering at the RMH and the final part of this helpful in how to get started. If not, post questions below and let’s help each other!

Kev

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
What if you really suck at performing..... like me? I don't expect to get paid, but I really want to get involved with one of my own characters as a company. I'd love to be part of an event that helps raise money for children. I checked and it appears that the closest RMH is in Orlando.... which is about 2hrs away from me. But, I think I might check with the local Childrens Hospital and see what I could do to help.

You've inspired me Foz! Thanks!
-Michele

Klonoa

Reaction score
That was great, Fozzie!

Working at a chuch (and sorting their mail), I've noticed that a lot of churches have puppet ministries. That would be a great thing to get into. I'd probably do that myself if I had more time and knew more about puppets (I know nothing).

I'm lucky. I majored in Magazine Journalism in college and now I am using those skills in my job. One of my main tasks is to design and print the Sunday bulletin every week, and it's a pretty decent sized church, too.

--Klonoa

Erine81981

Reaction score
Is Muley Copyright to u?

If I wanted my own to be copyrighted but I'm not really good at making my own Puppets so if I wanted to get one copyrighted to me. Would I have to pay that Puppet Builder Money? Thats what I've heard.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I’ve been asked this several times, so I decided to write about it in a thread all its own. How did I come to volunteer with Muley the Mule (my character) at the Ronald McDonald House.

Back several years ago, I joined in with the Mid-South Cartoonists Association, and am now the Vice-President of said organization. When I first joined, they were doing a cartoon art show and the benefactor of the show was The Ronald McDonald House of Memphis.

Nowadays, my best pal is Lin, and he was President of the club way back then, and he was already volunteering for the RMH, which he discovered through Rock 103’s radio station. Rock 103 DJs Tim Spencer and Bev Hart were both (at some time) on the RMH Board of Directors and Bev is still on the Board today.

As Lin and I became fast friends, I introduced him to Muley the Mule, and then to the comics and puppet versions of the characters, and he invited me to go along with him to volunteer with the RMH at an event. Since that time, I’ve become well acquainted, as has Muley, with the Rock 103 station staff, and with everyone at the RMH to the point that Muley has been named the Official SpokesMule of the Ronald McDonald House of Memphis.

Muley has appeared at the RMH with my best friend, Angela Freeman’s Cardz 4 Kidz, at RMH Birthday Parties, Volunteer Banquets, All the Rock 103/RMH RadioThon events, and Isaac Hayes’ restaurant 2 years in a row to discuss and speak about the RMH over the years, and has appeared at the Big Scoop Ice Cream Festival (an RMH event) in both puppet and costume form, as well as having appeared one 2 local television stations on behalf of the RMH: Fox 13 News where he sang 2 songs and discussed RMH and the Ice Cream Festival, and ABC 24 News where he introduced the Cooper-Young Festival while manning the RMH booth. He’s also appeared on Rock 103’s WakeUP Crew show several times, calling in once in a while to bother them.

He has been Maitre’D at Bosco’s Celebrity Waiter Night, an Unofficial host of the actual RadioThon, and Unofficial Host of the Leather Ball each year.

He has also appeared as Count DracMula at the Nightmarez! Haunted Attractions the past 3 or 4 years, too.

What does this all mean? You don’t get there by not trying. I don’t get paid for any of it, but it’s all volunteer work because I can’t afford the money to donate, so I give my time.

I suggest you check through your local organization that you’re a member of, see how you can create a connection between your organization and either the Ronald McDonald House local to you—or whatever charity it may be—and use that as a route to become a volunteer and help raise money.

If you’re not a member of an organization but, say, a church, set up with your church to go to that charitable organization and maybe cook dinner for the people there sometime, and do your puppet show during that time.

Charitable organizations are always looking for volunteers to help out, so I’m sure if you just simply call and say, “Hey, I got these puppets and I want to do a puppet show,” then you can get in there no doubt.

So, I hope this helps in some way in answering how I started with volunteering at the RMH and the final part of this helpful in how to get started. If not, post questions below and let’s help each other!

Kev
Kev....that is so GREAT! :smile: Volunteers are needed to make people happy. Here's to you & Muley!
Kathy/Prairie Dawn

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
Is Muley Copyright to u?

If I wanted my own to be copyrighted but I'm not really good at making my own Puppets so if I wanted to get one copyrighted to me. Would I have to pay that Puppet Builder Money? Thats what I've heard.
Usually if you design a character you own the copyright. If the builder does than they own it unless they agree otherwise.

Normally if you want the copyright and didn't design the puppet you have to pay what's called a "buy out" fee for the rights. The amount of the fee is usually negotiated with the builder. Some builders charge nothing, others can charge thousands of dollars. It's usually based on how much you could potentially earn with a character.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
What if you really suck at performing.....
I do! Okay, so not really. You have to do what I've done all my life: Practice. I also watch other people's puppetry performances and see what they do wrong so I won't do that, and I self-correct by watching my own performance over my head, or on a monitor, or on tape later. The other thing I've always done, and only one of my friends have ever noticed it, is that I'll watch the Muppets perform for entertainment the first time, then the next couple of times I watch their show/movie, I check out the technical details and try to imagine what they're doing to get the puppet to move that way so I can copy it later.

Hey, to be the best, copy the best I always say! LOL!!

2 Hours isn't that far if you belong to a church or organization, call down and set up an evening program where the choir goes down and sings for them, or the church cooks for them, and then you can either walk around with the puppet and visit with different people, or do a full-fledged puppet show for about 30 minutes (no slow songs, remember). Ah, the wonders of Karoke...I do all my shows with live vocals.

Glad you're inspired; now, get started!! (If you don't start now, the fire will burn out and you'll have missed the inspiration)!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Klonoa said:
I'd probably do that myself if I had more time and knew more about puppets (I know nothing).--Klonoa
Neither did any other puppeteer until they started, practiced, and learned from others who already do it. You're at a church with puppetry? Get someone to show you how!!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
Is Muley Copyright to u?
He is, since 1988; but I also copyrighted all other cartoon forms of him from 1980-88 in that application, including over 300 cartoon characters created up to that point. When more characters were created that Iliked alot I applied a second time in 1991. The puppets all fall under the title Critter Productions-Muley Comix copyrighted in 1990, and include the MuleySuit now.

My suggestion is to go to a Bible Book Store somewhere near you and you can get a pattern for a large puppet (Muppet-style) and get someone in your family who sews to help you make it (you do work on it, too) from something you design on paper first. Draw it from all angles. You can mix and match the pattern and make it your own, too.

Use different kinds of materials, fur, eyes, etc.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Usually if you design a character you own the copyright.
That's right. Hi, Buck. I just responded to everyone else and didn't want to leave you out! :smile: